1964 Valiant Drive Shaft Suggestion

-

bearwolf64

Bearwolf50
Reaction score
All

I've a got a vibration in the rear of the car when I get above 60 MPH. I would like to R&R the drive shaft as I believe the drivie shaft is out of balance. I'm looking for suggestion on where to get a replacement. The other reason I want to repalce it is it has two differant size univeral cap sizes. I had to buy four u-joints to put together a two u-jonit that would fit.

Thanks
Bear

Is your driveshaft a conversion of some sort? From the factory, it would only have one u-joint (in the rear), and a ball and trunion joint in the front. Getting rid of the front joint is recommended like what grimreaper posted. I would get the rear joint squared away while I was at it if there is a mismatch there.

I would suspect tire problem such as a broken cord before the drive shaft. Put the rear tires on the front, and front to rear see if the vibration moves.

Have the shaft rebalanced, if you had a tire issue with a broken belt it would start long before 60 mph.

being you changed the joints that alone can and does change the balance especially if the yoke wasn't put back on the same way it cam off or like some people do and put it at the rear of the shaft.

-
Back