1964 Valiant Top Install

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
As I install the new canvas top, I'm adding some tips to help others. Not sure I'm doing it perfect, just going by scraps of info I found. A Motortrend video of a 1967 B-body appears closest to my car. Mine is much different than the generic manual which came in the kit.

The top only staples to the header bow and the rear bow. It floats on the felt strips of the two middle bows and there is no flap underneath to secure it to them. The side pads do staple to the two middle bows, on short tack strips (1/2" wide, 1/4" thick) at each end. The channel in the rear bow is very deep so I had to use two lengths of 1/2" wide plastic tack strip. I had to buy it separately (10 ft long) since only one 1/2" tack strip in the kit, plus two wide thin tack strips which I don't find anywhere to use. I bought an Arrow T50 pneumo stapler and 3/8" long stainless staples on Amazon. The stapler came with 3 sizes of steel staples. I used the 1/2" long ones to secure the first tack strip to the rear bow, penetrating into the steel inner channel, since how I found it in the old tack strip. I also used E6000 adhesive. I also used 1/2" long to staple the 2nd layer of tack strip to the first. I used only the 3/8"L SS staples to secure the new side pads. The side pads hang 1" past the 2nd bow's bolt-on "end fingers". That was based on the impressions left on the underside of the OE pads.

Years ago, I cleaned rust from the parts. The header bow had a few rust-thrus (one visible) and the front weatherstrip rail was rusted almost thru in one section (typical) so I welded galv sheet across the missing rusted part (seen in photo). I had de-rusted using wire brushes and soaking for days in rags wet with phosphoric acid, some stuffed in the header cavities. The aluminum parts I used Zn-Cr rattle-can primer from NAPA, though strangely the MSDS didn't list Zn-Cr. It is said best for aluminum. I then painted white since will look best and some owners say their conv frame was white. I took all the pivots apart (knock out roll pins, bought special set of tools) to free the steel pivots. I reassembled using nylon washers (McMaster-Carr) instead of the factory wavy steel washers (exc. a few which were fine). I used anti-seize on new stainless roll-pins. Many of the sheet-metal steel screws which secured the weatherstrip channels broke off in the holes. I got all out with pliers, then drilled and tapped the holes for 10-24 stainless screws (plus anti-seize).

The photos showed how I attached the well liner. I re-used the existing even though some cuts were questionable (new cost ~$230). Most say it should just glue to the rear seat cross-brace, but I added an aluminum C-channel to flatten it and help hold down, using two 1/4-20 SS bolts 3/4"L w/ SS locknuts in two existing top holes. I used 3M trim tape at the corner, partly as strain relief, and PL1 polyurethane construction adhesive (caulk tube) on the top. I had to drill outer holes for sheet-metal screws to keep the ends of the channel tight. I suspect the seams originally would have sat at the ends of that channel and the well liner shrunk, but didn't want to pull it too tight and risk tearing. I had an electric heater running in the trunk to keep the vinyl soft. The cut sections didn't align well with body parts, perhaps from shrinkage, so I just glued as best I match it. My car had the two rubber drain hoses to body grommets below, but the well liner didn't have matching holes which also have little brass funnels or such. I won't try to plumb that, rather count on just using a towel if any water collects in the well.

On masking tape, I marked the many holes along the rear body lip, distinguishing those for the chrome trim from the others by color. When gluing the well liner to the top w/ E6000, I used a self-tapping screw in every hole (photo) until the glue set. A layer for the rear curtain (window) will go atop that, and another layer of the main top at the sides, before the chrome trim secures it. It seems my car didn't have a separate strip which the chrome clips to, as in the 1967 video. I think the main top is glued to the rear curtain where they overlap. I'll update when I attach the two top parts.

20240113_151802.jpg

20240113_151826.jpg

20240113_151853.jpg

20240113_151917.jpg

20240113_151941.jpg

20240113_151959.jpg

20240113_152105.jpg

20240113_152139.jpg

20200820_130730.jpg

On my 67 dart convert.

There is a side strip that goes under the rear glass curtain at the left and right sides.

It attached to the rearmost bow and helps define the rear corners of what would be the quarter puller if it was a fast back.
20191012_114108.jpg

20191012_114106.jpg

20191012_114104.jpg

20191012_103654.jpg

20191012_104106.jpg

20191012_111730.jpg

Update. The side cables were so long I doubled them, forming a loop at the front end w/ crimp (bought extra 1/16" cable crimps at H.D.). Covered with heat shrink to protect the fabric. On right side, the cable was slightly shorter so the spring is a bit more extended than the left in photo. The instructions didn't give any guidance. Rather than the sheet-metal screws, I used a stainless screw w/ nut at the header and tapped a 10-24 hole at rear for a SS screw (anti-seize on threads). The other hole is a rust-thru in the header.

Waiting on 1/2"L stainless staples to better secure the main top to the rear bow before pulling it tight and gluing at the front header. I also used PL1 polyurethane adhesive to help secure it. After that, I'll screw the bottom of the main top to the aft body flange and install the rear chrome trim. I jumped the gun on installing the side chrome and weatherstrip, since I see a front and rear flap must be glued underneath them after securing the top.

Strange that the Velcro strips on the top and rear curtain don't align, only overlapping at the bottom. The green tape on the Velcro keeps it from grabbing while fooling with top alignment. Perhaps had I moved the curtain forward more the Velcro strips would align. The zipper is right against the rear bow, so to move the curtain forward, I would have to adjust the rear bow cables out more. But, I set the rear bow per Shop Manual (something like at 17.5" lateral along bow from center on each side, measure 24.5" to rear body lip, memory don't quote me). As is, I trimmed ~1" off the bottom center flap of the curtain to match the body lip.

Some sites say to glue the lower part of the top to the rear curtain, but that makes it permanent. Instead, I may glue other Velcro strips to both top and curtain, to match the factory-sewn Velcro. Anybody else deal with this? The manual makes no mention. Indeed, the manual in the kit is far from the setup on our cars, apply more to GM and Ford.

20240121_100316.jpg

20240121_100741.jpg

20240121_100805.jpg

20240121_100823.jpg

On my 67 dart convert.

There is a side strip that goes under the rear glass curtain at the left and right sides.

It attached to the rearmost bow and helps define the rear corners of what would be the quarter puller if it was a fast back.
View attachment 1716191855

View attachment 1716191853

The manual mentions that some tops have such fabric piece to set the location of the rear bow when the top is up. Instead, my 1964 has a steel cable on each side with screw adjustment, as seen in the photos. The Shop Manual gives measurements to adjust so the rear bow is in the correct location. You need to use bungie cords to pull the rear bow forward so those cable are tight, until the pads and top are fully installed. In mine, the rear window zipper wound up sitting right against the rear bow.

-
Back