1965 273 2 bbl engine.

-

tb65cuda

Reaction score
I am looking to install a 4 bbl intake to replace the 2 bbl. and also wanted to do just a basic rebuild with a mild cam, But I am having trouble finding parts that will fit. everything I have found is for 318,340,360
I've read that 64-65 273 engines are hard to find parts for, but I was wondering if anyone has found a good place to order parts from. This is the original engine for the car and would like to use if possible. Thanks

The difference is in the intake bolt holes, they are smaller and at a slightly different angle. Many people have used a 66-up intake with washers on the bolts. You could also swap to 66-up heads.

273-318-340-360 are all basically the same motor on the outside, and parts from each will work on the other. 64-65 273s, like stated above, have a weird bolt angle on the intake manifold. Other then that its identical to any other small block Mopar.

Take a while to consider your options. Occasionally, you can find a 4 bbl aluminum intake that fits the 64-65 small block heads (Edelbrock LD4?, search posts). Indeed, one guy here had one and wanted to adapt it to a 66+ engine. I told him better to sell to someone who needs it. I have also seen them sell for ~$150 on ebay. That intake may have a different bolt pattern which fits the original 4 bbl Carter carb (small square bore?) and may need an adapter plate for later 4 bbl patterns (read up).

One option is to install a later intake. I put an Edelbrock Performer 318-360 on mine. I drilled countersink V's in the bolt holes with a hand drill (a bit squirrely) and used 7/16" flat-head allen screws. Not ideal. I couldn't torque the screws as much as I wanted and the allen holes are so small I am afraid they might strip when I try to remove someday. I got a little steam hissing from a front cross-over port at first, but re-torqued while hot and seems to have stopped. Maybe hex bolts and washers and studs & nuts would work better.

Another option is to change heads, as mentioned. If you install Magnum heads, the Magnum intake gets you MPFI, if that is your eventual plan. I read that those heads have a big problem with cracks between the intake and exhaust ports. One guy found 3 of 4 junkyard heads cracked. Some heads require slight grinding of a tab to get 65 exhaust manifolds to fit (search posts).

My long-term plan is to put a Magnum intake on my 65 heads to get cheap MPFI. One guy said, "why not just install a whole Magnum motor?". I lost how that is easier than an intake swap. I know about the bolt angle difference and have a plan, but don't want to lead you astray.

Thanks for all your help, I will consider all my options and take your advise. I have had alot of cars with small blocks, big blocks and never had any problems finding parts or fixing anything, This is the first 273 engine I ever had and I am ready for the challenge., Anyway I greatly appreciate the advise and input. Thanks.

Sometimes we go into these older high milage engines and find the exhaust valves worn and sank into the heads too. If/when its determined that heads are needed the intake bolt issue is solved.

the later manifolds can be made to fit but they are for the larger inlet port of the later heads ,so you will have a large step in the port ,not exactly good for flow,,i once found an ld4 inlet ,rare in the states no matter england ,someone had hogged it out to fit later heads ,i could have shed a tear .
i used a 2 barrel holley on my 64 with an adaptor plate ,runs very well

i have a set of 1965 273 cammando heads for sale waiting for the rockers to get here
came off running motor last june 275.00 + shipping pm me

check search theres whole 273 to parts 2 barrel to 4 barrell intakes its all here at fabo

As stated, the intake bolt size and angle, the pistons and the water pump are the only things that make it different than a 318. I used pre-magnum heads on my 273 (swirlport 318 heads) and a LB4D intake. I had a performer that I could have used, but the thermostat angle wouldn't work with my AC setup. The 273 is a great underrated engine. The only part I had issues affording was the 10 to 1 pistons. Luckly I was able to reuse my stock slugs after sleeving a couple cylinders.

The other option is to do as I did on both early cuda I have had my current 65 fomula s and my past 66 both did not have the original motors! The current formula s had a 273 but was not numbers matching so instantly swapped out to put in a 318, easily with a nice 4bbl set up on a good intake! painted to look like a 273, most who look at it instantly think it is the original motor! I love it drive it and enjoy the fun of it! It has been modernized, front disc brakes, modern u joints, 14 inch rally wheels, ect! It is set up to drive and have fun with!

65 Cudalover!

Most offenhouser intakes have both angles for intake attaching. The 66 and later manifolds are counterbored for the 66 and up mounting bolts wile the casting has the 64-65 angle. All you have to do is use a larger than the counterbore hardened washer and the right length 5/16-18 bolt. The correct intake would be D4B Edelbrock the correct 65 factory 4 barrel intake, and Offenhouser made Intakes for the 64 to 65 273. There are only 2 intake port sizes, small (273 and 318 ) and large (340 and 360). All 64-67 273's are solid lifter cams and the same as any other small block Mopar. The 500 cfm Edelbrock 4 barrel will fit the Factory 4 barrel manifold without modifications. I doubt Magnum heads will fit on a 273 without Intake notches in the block due to the small piston bore.

generaly on chrysler V8 engines. the 2 barrel parts from the back edge of the engine to the cab are a different length and the brackets are different. ie with a 4 barrel carb you need 4 barrel parts. else it can lock open. this is for the engines that came with 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb. so the 440 doesnt have that trouble, ie they only came with 4 barrel.

I am looking to install a 4 bbl intake to replace the 2 bbl. and also wanted to do just a basic rebuild with a mild cam, But I am having trouble finding parts that will fit. everything I have found is for 318,340,360
I've read that 64-65 273 engines are hard to find parts for, but I was wondering if anyone has found a good place to order parts from. This is the original engine for the car and would like to use if possible. Thanks
I recommend using the '68-74 318 heads which have less crack problems and have open chambers. You can use the later, more plentiful intakes with them. This is if you plan on boring the block and using new pistons with a higher compression ratio to make up for the open chamber heads. If you are keeping the stock pistons, I'd get some later 302 heads and modify them to fit the stock exhaust manifolds. (not a major job). As mentioned, the other option is to get a 318 to bolt in and save the stock engine for a future restoration. There are some minor mods to do that but nothing serious.

-
Back