1965 Baracuda parts find

-

wayneswirld2

I need a vacation...
Reaction score
Found a guy somewhat locally here to Austin that has some 1965 Baracuda parts for sale, much of which I can use for my '65 Valiant. What I'm really curious about is the rear end....This particular rear assembly came from a '65 Baracuda with an automatic and 225/6. Any ideas as to what gearing, and/or SIZE, that rear may be? What to look for, etc....I'm goin to try to get out there in the next couple days to take a look and make an offer IF I can use the stuff....

Wayne
Austin, TX

It's most likely the 7 1/4....Is that what you were asking? However....swaps happen all the time.....it either has the bolted on cover or it's smooth. Bolted= 7 1/4 or smooth
8 3/4. No idea what gearing though......

That's exactly what I was looking for Patch, thanks for the info....let's hope for SMOOTH sailing!!!!!

Wayne

there is usually a tag on one of the bolts/nuts on the diff that lists the ratio and a seperate one that if it has a sure-grip will be there and says so

9 out of ten times I see 7 1/4 rear with 3.23 in them to

. . . . What I'm really curious about is the rear end....This particular rear assembly came from a '65 Baracuda with an automatic and 225/6. Any ideas as to what gearing, and/or SIZE, that rear may be? What to look for, etc....
Wayne
Austin, TX

Chances are it's a 7.25. According to my dealer literature, most 65s with an automatic and 225/6 came with either 2.93 or 2.76s. 3.23s and 3.55 were optional as was a SG for the 7.25. Both slants and V8 manual transmissions usually came with 3.23s with those other ratios optional. As someone else said, you never know what's been swapped in there.

Found a guy somewhat locally here to Austin that has some 1965 Baracuda parts for sale, much of which I can use for my '65 Valiant. What I'm really curious about is the rear end....This particular rear assembly came from a '65 Baracuda with an automatic and 225/6. Any ideas as to what gearing, and/or SIZE, that rear may be? What to look for, etc....I'm goin to try to get out there in the next couple days to take a look and make an offer IF I can use the stuff....

Wayne
Austin, TX

Wayne! I need some mint or preferable NOS Goodyear Power Cushion 7.00x13 blackwall. White wall might work too. Could you check it for me I would be very greatful.

About to head out the door to take a gander at the stuff. Seems like a nice enough gent, hopefully he'll have some good stuff that I can get my hands on. I'll update this afternoon....

Wayne

Turns out that all the stuff is from a 1966 Baracuda. Ended up buying the motor and trans though. Super Six and Auto trans.......

Wayne
Austin, TX

hey could you assist me in getting some parts for 1965 baracuda? just need some parts for mine.

I am likewise in the same boat, looking for parts for my 66 cuda

Here's a rear end identification chart to help ya out wayne. :-D. Nice score still 8)

Attachments

• MoparRearAxleID.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 266
If you rebuild the 7.25 and keep it up it will be ok. I raced my 66 cuda 318 auto with 7.25, rear lasted well intill I upped Hp and raced harder. When I got better and made late rounds at track you run quicker, less time to cool between rounds, thats when it gave out. I am sure with/6 and low HP it will do you fine. Once you get up to or over 300 Hp then a bigger rear is in order. It is expensive and takes some good machine work to narrow a 8.75 to fit a-body, mine cost 3k and that was done about 10 years ago...

mine was built to run 1/4 mile in low 12's not stock. All parts were new not junkyard or out of some 100K mile car. There are no stock 8.75 rears in 66 cuda's that I know of? Enlighten me

mine was built to run 1/4 mile in low 12's not stock. All parts were new not junkyard or out of some 100K mile car. There are no stock 8.75 rears in 66 cuda's that I know of? Enlighten me

66 was the first year for a-bod 8.75's (maybe earlier???) they went through 72. any rear from a dart, pre-70 cuda, valiant, duster, demon, etc. swaps in with driveshaft length changes. you can run 11's on a junkyard unit no problem.....lugstuds are the weak point. mine was out of a 71 swinger with a 318 and its going in a 66 valiant wagon that with any luck will be running times close to what you are.

-
Back