1965 barracuda 6 to v-8 swap

-

poppys67toy

slow learner
Reaction score
Hi and thanks to all of you this site has been great to a newbie like me. I am considering buying a 1965 barracuda slant 6 auto on floor it is not running so I figure this is a chance to mod one,would like to go fairly radical hi perf 360 727 sure grip some good rubber in a plain wrapper . suggestions ? or if this is an original car is it worth getting it running and modding the 6 .comments welcome.

To go with an 8 you can keep the 6 cradle as they are the same on both but you would need other parts some of which I have for sale. You could do as you wish but it sounds like you want the power from the V8. It would start with a centerlink, V8 engine mounts, radiator change, wiring rework, V8 pedal and cable assy, and other things to go along with your final plan. I think in your case what you are wanting would also include fenderwell headers to allow a 360 to breath. Remember these are 2 inches narrower under the hood between the rails.

See my "Poll for all you wrench turners" thread.:-D

Seriously, hello and good luck with your build.

saw that one too. thanks what did you buy? larry

I got the one that was listed in San Jose staying at the guys parents house as he had moved to New York and needed to move it. I lucked out and paid less than half of what he was asking, then I was able to find a 318 and early 904 at a great price. Waiting for the gasket set now because I want to tear it down and replace everything and verify the condition of the motor. I also want to paint the engine Hemi Orange. What do you guys think?

v8 is great, but u can make good power with the /6 too. Get the 4 barrel carb intake, and better exhaust manifold for some easy bolt ons. I dont know about prices off hand, but I imagine u could do well hopping up the 6 instead of buying all the v8 stuff. Also, u might get lucky and find a good deal on a v8 parts car with everyting u need. Dont forget the weak link is the 7 1/4 rear diff. Stopping the heavy front end with the v8 using 9 inch drum brakes is tough. If u are worried about original equipment just save your old drivetrain as it can be easily put back to stock.

Yep, you gotta upgrade everything to put a HP V8 in there, from the brakes, the torsion bars, the rearend, radiator, motor mounts and stuff like that. To run dual exhaust you will need to modify your trans crossmember as the stock one is only cut out for single exhaust. Gonna need some better leaf springs too if you want to plant a 360. There are a lot of little tricks to get the job done on the early A's, but with a little time and a few questions answered along the way you'll have one bad little ride on your hands!!! Go grab it and get busy!!! Geof

Yep, you gotta upgrade everything to put a HP V8 in there, from the brakes, the torsion bars, the rearend, radiator, motor mounts and stuff like that. To run dual exhaust you will need to modify your trans crossmember as the stock one is only cut out for single exhaust. Gonna need some better leaf springs too if you want to plant a 360. There are a lot of little tricks to get the job done on the early A's, but with a little time and a few questions answered along the way you'll have one bad little ride on your hands!!! Go grab it and get busy!!! Geof

Anybody have a template on how much to modify the rear cross member please?

I did just what you want to do. My car was a /6 with 904 auto 7 1/4 rear. I converted to a 273 with a V-8 K frame, 340 torsion bars. Dual exhaust. 4 1/2 bolt pattern with disk brakes up front. later model 904 auto. 8 3/4 rear end. My donor car was a 72 Duster V-8 Car.

Remember you have Major modifications with a 727 because its so much bigger in the well. I just used a good running 904 with a B & M cable shifter. My exhaust was just run from the manifolds back. You will also have to notch out your trans cross member for the right side pipe.

Go to my Hubgarage web site below to check it out.

I also have done the swap to V8 and then some.I have a thread going in the Early-A bodies discussions Forum.Finally the 66 Dart is here!Check it out for some insight on what your in for!:clock:

Anybody have a template on how much to modify the rear cross member please?

I have an extra crossmember I was gonna modify and sell here, I'll make a template from that and send it off to you. I did my last one and it went quick as a breeze. Geof

-
Back