1965 Barracuda Formula S with factory air near St Louis

-

Chrysler_Fan

Reaction score
I am new to this site. Sorry if I do this wrong. I see an Ebay ad for a 1965 Barracuda Formula S with "999" yellow paint, front disk brakes, factory AC, etc that was supposedly ordered for a Chrysler executive in late 65. It claims to have been restored. Are any of you familiar with it and in what condition it is. They claim it is great but who knows about that. I am sure it is not worth what they are asking but wondered if any of you experts have a realistic value for it. Thank you

1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S Sports Hardtop | eBay

Wow that looks impressive.
And a ton of money for an early Barracuda.
I would think that for about half if that one could buy the best one in the world.

?????

36919.jpg

36920.jpg

Beautiful car but wow. Over 30 large for any early a is not gonna happen. Well maybe a d-dart.lol.
Drive shaft modded to a spicer setup. That is a great mod but shoots down nothing but nos stuff and concours quality restoration statement in description.

Yes it is a pretty rare and clean car (before resto even), but lots wrong with resto for sure. The flat or matte black dash etc... is annoying! Low to mid 20s is tops I would say, lots of history/paperwork, rare car. The auto doesn't help the value either IMO

Yes it is a pretty rare and clean car (before resto even), but lots wrong with resto for sure. The flat or matte black dash etc... is annoying! Low to mid 20s is tops I would say, lots of history/paperwork, rare car. The auto doesn't help the value either IMO
Thank you for the many good and welcome comments I was thinking mid to high teens would be a fair price for the car if it is indeed in high quality condition as described. Not sure from at least one picture if there are problems with lip that turns back under car before you get to underbody that is coated. There appears to be something funny on lower driver side rocker panel but I could be wrong.

I first saw this car in September of 1990 between Oakhurst and Mariposa on Hwy 49 here in California. The elderly woman who owned the car showed me the window sticker that she kept in the glove box. The disc brakes ARE on the window sticker...

says no option for 65 with a vinyl top but the letter said there are 294? Still a very nice car, just a failed fact-checker. Im not a fan of the painted grill, original or not. Drive shaft is curious. 65 would have a B&T, but the 66 would have a slip yoke. This has neither. and yeah, that flat black dash is distracting, your eyes just keep fixating on it like WTF?

says no option for 65 with a vinyl top but the letter said there are 294? Still a very nice car, just a failed fact-checker. Im not a fan of the painted grill, original or not. Drive shaft is curious. 65 would have a B&T, but the 66 would have a slip yoke. This has neither. and yeah, that flat black dash is distracting, your eyes just keep fixating on it like WTF?
Do you A Body experts know if all formula cars should have had the front to back hood, top and back stripe (this one does not have) or could it have been deleted easily at time of order (since this is special order paint 999 which is likely 66 yellow shade) Thank you

999 was a paint code for a non-standard paint (ie. Playboy Playmate pink cars were all 999) but stripe was just an option, sometimes dealer applied and not "S" specific. Few things were uniquely "S" only, but tach is a good indicator. "S" was a package option. I think you could almost option out a non 'S' to an 'S'....tach may have been unique.

999 was a paint code for a non-standard paint (ie. Playboy Playmate pink cars were all 999) but stripe was just an option, sometimes dealer applied and not "S" specific. Few things were uniquely "S" only, but tach is a good indicator. "S" was a package option. I think you could almost option out a non 'S' to an 'S'....tach may have been unique.
thank you. From looking at the window sticker for that car, I noted the things that are unique to that package, regardless whether they might be available as ala carte items or not

The Formula S package was a suspension and performance package and has no design options included, except maybe the chrome tip on the resonator! You had to pay for the stripe!

As far I know '65 Formula S Barracudas had only a single exhaust.
Seems right.

No early A body had dual exhaust from the factory, single exhaust was all you could get, although the "Commando" exhaust was a little better than the 2bbl version! The headpipe of 4bbl cars both came down to the "collector", whereas on the 2bbl unit the passenger side pipe died into the drivers side near the downturn!! The resonator also offered better flow than the 2bbl muffler design!

-
Back