1965 Barracuda interior assembly order?

-

FODOIMP

Reaction score
Trying to conceive the best possible way to re-assemble the interior in my 65 barracuda. Looking at everything laid out as far as the side panels and carpet go it looks like there is a specific order you have to follow. Specifically the carpet kit. It appears if I go out of order there will be certain mounting screw holes that get covered by carpet. Has anyone put one of these together recently?

Put the carpet in first, then the kick panels, rear interior panels by seat, carpet hold downs, interior quarter window metal trim, then the top interior trim above the door glass, and the a-pillar trim. Then you can install the console plate and seat belts, the rear seat and the rear window cranks and arm rests, then last the bucket seats. Hope this helps!

So do the metal panels in the wheel tubs get installed and then the carpet gets glued in while they are in the car? Everything has been removed from my car. was just wondering if it was possible to cover the metal pieces with carpet before installing but from the looks of it everything has to be installed first. Thanks for the fast reply.

Oops, you have a full carpet set that includes the rear. Install metal parts, If I remember correctly, it gets glued to the side panels first, next put the floor carpet in, then the carpet hold down strips. I think the carpet for the back of the rear seat and trunk divider panel can be installed with these items out of the car.

When frigging with carpet, kick panel, seat, and door sill plate installations use an awl to locate blind screw holes; it will make life sooooo much easier.

When installing carpet, work from center of car to outer edges. Pre mark with chalk the center of all carpet pieces, and corresponding floor boards. Use spray contact cement to attach carpet to drive shaft hump, toe kick area, and 4 inches of floor inboard of door sills. Carpet areas not glued will flatten out with time.

Any trimming should be done a little at a time, nibbles if you will. It is hard to add carpet back to a cut once it is sliced off. Use a fresh utility knife with a good supply of blades, they will dull quickly, and once dull will cause trouble trying to trim accurately.

Cut a small ¼” “X” with the grain where seat belt and seat bolts pass through carpet once location is found using the awl, and marked with chalk. Chalk marks for seat bolt holes will make dropping the heavy buckets in place much easier.

-
Back