1965 Barracuda Question

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I found a 65 Barracuda that is just a parts car if that. I have a few questions. I'm thinking of building a T bucket with a 50s-60s era look.

Can you tell me what rear end a slant six car would have?

Also what is the length of the rear? I think I need from back plate to back plate messurment.

Also what trans would the slant six have?

I don't know if I could use the steering box in the T' bucket or not. I know they (Hot Rod boards) say to use the Corvair and Vega boxes but reverse them. I don't know if the steering box in a Barracuda would work.

What is the steel wheel size?

I want to go steel wheels both skinny up front and back with white walls.

Thanks for any and all info you can give me.

Link to the add-
http://winchester.craigslist.org/cto/3577761903.html

As you can see the car is gone.

Better off to kill a old Mustang. 7 1/4 rear end is weak for high power. Almost nothing there that complete your idea, maybe the buckets?

I agree the early barracudas had the small 71/4 rear I changed mine to 81/4 to fit 14 inch wheels and better rear end for the 318 motor in mine (65 formula S orinigina 273 v8 car)! The other one I had was a 66 cuda I drag raced and put a 83/4 buit for the track that baby ran low 12's with a 318 also that was also built to rock out! My current Baby is just a street car for fun, it did do a 15 second quarter mile so it will go ok! Down the road a little head work and it too can rock some! But for sure you need some more pep for a street rod!

65Cudalover

Thanks guys, I just wasnt sure on what rear end it came with. I also thought about using the slant six.

I did email a guy with a 8 1/4 rear that might work out.

I also have an old Dodge Ram Van that has a 318 in it. I'm not sure of the rear or the trans. It belongs to my uncle and I might be able to get it for the motor.

He also has a 74 Charger that would make a great parts car that I could get motor, rear and trans from. That is also a 318 car.

I'm just not sure on what rear ends to use for the build. I know the Chevy S-10 rears work with putting on new brackets, they are perfect size.

I have found a few in my area but 300 bucks.

On a side note I did challenge Hot Rod magazine to a build off on facebook, to answer yet lol.

Where are you located. I've got a nice S-10 rear end that I would consider a trade for a trailer axle (if it would fit the S-10 frame and springs and used the Chev bolt pattern)...

a recent rod and custom magazine showed a custom build,,they used a 1964 thru 74 mopar manual steering box,,, blew my mind,,mounted it on the column,,had a steering arm out the side of the body, like an old school indy car

-
Back