1965 Charger 273 Sedan

-

Olive

Reaction score
Hey Guys, where does this car "fit in" among all of the Charger 273 powered cars? Was it rather common back in '65. I've not seen this iteration of the V8 before although there is a local gal that has the same year Dart sedan but her engine has red valve covers and a more plain air cleaner assy. The first pic is hard to make out but is a shallow cutout in the rear valance

IMG_4896 (1).JPG

IMG_4901 (1).JPG

IMG_4900 (1).JPG

IMG_4899 (1).JPG

IMG_4898 (1).JPG

IMG_4893 (2).JPG

Yes it is odd for a 4 door to have the HP 273 and the performance exhaust in it. In my books there were 69,185 270 model Darts with the 273. I see no breakdown between 4 door or 2 door, sedans or hardtops and no further breakdown for 2 barrel or 4 barrel engines.

Just as a side note, A 65 "Charger" Dart had the Charger 273 under the hood and is a sub model of the Dart, but the "Charger 273" was Dodge's name for the High Performance 4 barrel 273 engine. Plymouth called theirs the Commando. You could get the HP273 in all Dart models except the wagon. All Dodge HP 273's had the "Charger 273" sticker on the air cleaner.

It is one of 275 produced Dart 270 4 dr sedans with 273x4 bbl and one of 254 Dart 270 4 dr sedans with auto on the column. This one is assembled September 11!
A rare car indeed!

Yes it is odd for a 4 door to have the HP 273 and the performance exhaust in it. In my books there were 69,185 270 model Darts with the 273. I see no breakdown between 4 door or 2 door, sedans or hardtops and no further breakdown for 2 barrel or 4 barrel engines.
Thanks for that input toolmanmike. Where might one look for those breakdown numbers if they ever existed or are we simply left with having to make 'good' educated guesses?

It is one of 275 produced Dart 270 4 dr sedans with 273x4 bbl and one of 254 Dart 270 4 dr sedans with auto on the column. This one is assembled September 11!
A rare car indeed!
I found a further breakdown of production numbers for the 65 cars. I haven't found that site since. I had a 65 270 sedan (post) car with a HP 273 and a 3 speed on the column. One of very few if I remember correctly.

A rare car indeed!
Thanks 65dartcharger - is there any more info to be gleaned from the data plate?

Thanks for that input toolmanmike. Where might one look for those breakdown numbers if they ever existed or are we simply left with having to make 'good' educated guesses?
My option books were compiled by Galen Govier (GTS Tag Service) and are sold through many Mopar repro parts suppliers.

I found a further breakdown of production numbers for the 65 cars. I haven't found that site since. I had a 65 270 sedan (post) car with a HP 273 and a 3 speed on the column. One of very few if I remember correctly.
Toolman! If it was a two door it was one of 3 produced and if it was a more door one of 6 produced!!

The date on the tags is the SPD (Scheduled production Date) which is the day they hoped to build the car when the order was first entered into the system.

Actual build dates were not recorded back then.

Hey 65dartcharger - can you do a proper decode of my VIN - all the numbers or options?
Sure!
1 = 1, left manual o/s mirror
3 = 9, variable wiper w/washer
AB = 31, 273 hp
D = 5, automatic transmission
E = 5, heater w/defroster
V = 3, back-up lights
SO = 911, scheduled assembly date Sept 11, 1964
Number = 06189, order no
BDY = L33, Dart v8 series, high cost, 4 dr sedan
TRM = H1Q, high grade bench, cloth+vinyl, turquoise
PNT = KK1K, roof color medium turquoise, body color medium turquoise, mono paint, medium turquoise paint on upper door frames.

The date on the tags is the SPD (Scheduled production Date) which is the day they hoped to build the car when the order was first entered into the system.

Actual build dates were not recorded back then.
True! When I was at the Carlisle show I med two older guys who had worked at the assembly line. Between 5 days before and 10 days after!!

True! When I was at the Carlisle show I med two older guys who had worked at the assembly line. Between 5 days before and 10 days after!!
Pretty cool, 65dartcharger -- thank you. Is there a registry for these oddball V8 family sedans? Am working on getting it back on the road and will likely keep it as it was made - no mods or upgrades.

Pretty cool, 65dartcharger -- thank you. Is there a registry for these oddball V8 family sedans? Am working on getting it back on the road and will likely keep it as it was made - no mods or upgrades.
Not what I now of. 65 dartman might know. I run a registry for Dart Chargers though!

I have seen some over 30 days off so far. (1970 Hamtramck cars)

I have seen some over 30 days off so far. (1970 Hamtramck cars)
So just to be clear, is there any way to know exactly how many 1965, 273/235 HP, Dart, 4-door automatic cars were produced? And if there is, are further breakdowns possible of colors, options, etc?

-
Back