1965 Dart GT restoration

-
My buddy Mark, a Mopar Guru, gave me a tip. I am getting the 360 ready for installation, and although the engine is relatively newly rebuilt, the timing chain has some slop. I installed a timing chain tensioner. It is a bolt in improvement. The tensioner is from a mid 90's Dakota with the V6. It replaces the stock camshaft front retainer. It will prolong the life of the chain, and keep it in perfect time. See the pics, it is an easy job.

Attachments

• timing tensioner1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 326
  • timing tensioner2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 338
Ok, so I have the engine installed, but have taken it out many times to fix certain things. The exhaust and steering has been the biggest problem. I had a problem with the power steering gear. I found some old 273 exhaust manifolds that cleared the steering box on the top, but the angle of the outlet folded back into the steering box, and I could not install the exhaust flange. Back to square one. I have mid 90's, 360 magnum exhaust manifolds that have more flow, but the engine compartment is so small. I figured out how to use those manifolds and fix the exhaust problem. I ended up using a 1965 Dart manual steering box, with a 1973 Duster manual steering pitman arm. I had to remove some of the inner fenderwell on the passenger side to accept the larger 360 manifold. I also have to work out the steering shaft, but Mopar offers a kit that converts the power steering to manual. It will work! See the pics:)

Attachments

• exhaust5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 297
  • exhaust4.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 295
  • exhaust3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 300
  • exhaust2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 329
  • exhaust1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 295
Greatjob on your car! I used tohave a 65 Dart GT ht with a 360 w/340 exhaust manifolds and I thought it had more space then you have. Is it some special manifolds you have? But the instalation is really looking good.

SORRY for not posting more often. I have a love/hate relationship now with my computer. Here are some updated pics, and information about my build. I have been driving the Dart for about 3 weeks now, working out the bugs etc. The exhaust is done, and although very, very tight, it clears, and works very well. The steering box and shaft clearance is also tight but works great, even if only 1/4 inch of clearance. The Flaming River shaft was a must, as was the manual steering box.

I have the car in primer now, and plan to paint within the next two months. The Dart is very dependable, and I feel comfortable enough to drive it out of town and back with no problems. It runs cool, and is a real pleasure to drive. The tranny kicks down perfect, and shifts hard.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the rear gear ratio is around 3.90 or lower. I don't know for sure yet. I haven't taken them out yet to count the teeth, but they are low, and I will know in a couple of weeks.

I took it out to Firebird Raceway two weeks ago. (firebirdonline.com). I bought a test and tune pass. Everyone at work bet a dollar to guess my first pass time. I haven't drag raced at a track for 30 years, so non-experience was a factor. My first pass was 14.88 @ 93 mph. Not bad I guess, but I had a slow reaction time, and spun like crazy off the line. I am hoping to get it down to 14 flat or even into the 13's by the end of the season. Would love to get a 100 mph club sticker!

The last pics are a reminder of what the interior looked like before, and after.

Anyway, much progress has been made, and I will keep on building the Dart.

MC

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 241
  • front.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 218
  • steeringshaft3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 209
  • steeringshaft2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 219
  • steeringshaft1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 259