1965 Dart GT

-

66Dartdriver

Reaction score
Here is my new project i sold my 66 to the previous owner so i started looking for a new project and i really like the early A's look. I wanted one that was as original as possible showing all its wear marks and patina. I found one in California mostly all original just dented and scratched perfect. The red interior was the deal sealer i love it. The first pic is when it rolled off the truck from Cali. I bought 2 15x7 and some 225 60 15s for the rear and painted up two 13s for the front for now. (2nd pic) Upgrades will be discs up front with 4 1/2 bolt pattern (scored some nice mags off tire rack on closeout) 4 speed and 8 3/4 and i will be dropping in the 400hp 340 that Mike at MRL build for me. see here: The Little 340 that could
I still need to locate some trim for the headlights and i am going to scuff and buff the paint to bring it back to life. THe last pic is after sanding with 2000, 3000 grit and then a buff with meguiars 2.0 diamond cut compound.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

mainphotos51.jpg

Here is my new project i sold my 66 to the previous owner so i started looking for a new project and i really like the early A's look. I wanted one that was as original as possible showing all its wear marks and patina. I found one in California mostly all original just dented and scratched perfect. The red interior was the deal sealer i love it. The first pic is when it rolled off the truck from Cali. I bought 2 15x7 and some 225 60 15s for the rear and painted up two 13s for the front for now. (2nd pic) Upgrades will be discs up front with 4 1/2 bolt pattern (scored some nice mags off tire rack on closeout) 4 speed and 8 3/4 and i will be dropping in the 400hp 340 that Mike at MRL build for me. see here: The Little 340 that could
I still need to locate some trim for the headlights and i am going to scuff and buff the paint to bring it back to life. THe last pic is after sanding with 2000, 3000 grit and then a buff with meguiars 2.0 diamond cut compound.

View attachment 1714936214

View attachment 1714936215

View attachment 1714936216

View attachment 1714936217

View attachment 1714936218

neat car! like those wheels. we had a set of fenton sharks on the front of the hemi back in the day, that were very-very lite at the time, looked almost identicle to those .

Love the dart especially the red interior. I have those same wheels for my 69 dart project. Cool car. Dustin

Nice looking early Dart! What are the specs of your 400hp 340?
you can click on the link i put in the first post box for all the specs if you want. i just wanted an old school build with late 360 heads and big valves and i didnt want or need a stroker just a daily driver if you will, well Mike got me a used H/R cam and i was surprised at the torque and HP that will be more than enough for me and my Dart. lol

IMG_0698.JPG

mainphotos71.jpg

nice. mine started out the same way you are doing yours. Mine kind of derailed some where along the way.

nice. mine started out the same way you are doing yours. Mine kind of derailed some where along the way.
lol yes that happened to my last Dart i was just going to repair the rear quarters with patches next thing i knew i was stripping all the paint off and ended up painting the interior and exterior and then i didnt want to drive it in the rain or even wash it so it was time to sell it. THis 65 is going to be a driver! btw i have followed your build its super cool!

awesome I also love 65's mine totally ballooned out of control also was just going to do a couple of up grades next thing I know its stripped to nothing in my garage lol. I still scared to add up the stack of receipts for everything I bought for it waiting to go on.

very nice find, almost exactly like my 65 Plymouth Valiant Signet ( Canadian)

The Candy Cane moulding around the lights and along the front I think are still available at Layson's BTW.. Pricey, but I got mine from them in 2004.. I was never able to find good condition ones at any wreckers.

image.jpeg
Click on the "little 340 that could" link on the original post. Impressive street 340!
I was very impressed by the numbers Mike I can't wait to get it in this car. I picked up an early ball and trunion 4 speed bell and hurst shifter for it too. Now I just need an 8 3/4. I finished up the disc upgrade with new balljoints tie rods and a anti sway bar I got from a member on here. What a difference in the handling! Wow. Here is how she looks today.

finally got some time to post the updates i made to my 65'. First was the 4.5 inch front disc conversion with a dual master cylinder. I got the brake kit from MBM on ebay and the master cylinder and all the fittings at Napa. The guys at napa were the only guys in town that knew anything about the fittings needed lol. I actually did this conversion last summer so i ran the hurst front wheels with the steelies on the back since it was still the 7 1/4 with the 4 inch pattern.
this spring was the big work. pulled out the 6, 904, and the 7 1/4 to drop in the 340 833 and 8 3/4. I decided to spray the engine compartment while i had it out as well.

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

next thing was get the flywheel and clutch on and then the 4 speed, cut the hole in the floor and get the 8 3/4 in with the rear discs and hook up the full exhaust and of course button up the rest of the stuff as well.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Coming along nicely Ed! Love those wheels too.

Thanks Mike! Yeah i thought those were good "retro look wheels"
I just re-read your 340 build. Nice street motor. It's a shame that Mike isn't building any more. He built some good ones!

Yeah after i got this thing together and got it hashed out i called him to tell him thanks again and this motor runs great but he didnt pick up and then soon after i found out he had moved on to other things. Great guy and a heck of a motor builder for sure!

I keep going back to your last photo. Great stance and again, those are cool wheels. They have attitude!

What brand of exhaust are you running?

-
Back