1965 Dart Wagon Questions

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
Some of you might have seen my '65 Dart wagon thread in the Welcome Wagon. I'm thinking that this thing is going to, at the very least, need some new carpet and weatherstripping. I'm not seeing much out there for Dart wagons, so...

1. Would I get the carpet for the Dart sedan, or would that not fit because of the different wheelbases?

2. How about weatherstripping? Would I get some for a Dart sedan, or maybe a Valiant sedan?

3. Any favorite size for a 13" tire? I'm leaning toward a Falken 185/70R13 I've found in a few spots. I don't want to buck up to the Maxxis whitewall 185/80R13 for this car (at least $40 more a tire). I own five old cars, but I'm a public employee and there is a finite bank account going on, and a spouse (who is actually very forgiving). :)

I think that's about it for now, but I'm sure I'm in for some real heartbreak on this thing if I decide to hang on to it. :)

Hey Aaron welcome to FABO. The carpet overlaps so the dart or valiant carpet should fit (guys chime in here if I'm off on that one). The doors are ALL the same on the four door cars as far as dimensions go, so the four door sedan weatherstripping will fit. As for the tires, it is a very inexpensive upgrade to find four steel 14" wheels for the car. Tires will be easier to find, and the car will ride better, for what it's worth. Can't help you on 13" tire sizes... maybe another early A lover can help there... Good luck, now post up some PICS! :)

All 63-66 dart and valiant wagons are on 106" wb chassis so valiant carpet will work.On weather strip either car would work all sedans and wagons doors are the same. Hardtops and convertibles are different

Brian

As Rocky & Brian said carpet, wheelbase, weather strip is the same & will 2nd the motion to turf the 13s!!!

Good luck & have fun, wagons rule!

I just want to add that they are now repopping the weatherstrip in the tail gate towards the rear glass!

I just want to add that they are now repopping the weatherstrip in the tail gate towards the rear glass!

Who's making it?

What cars would have had 14" steelies in this bolt pattern? Would my current cool dog dish hubcaps fit those wheels?

Oh yeah...before I do get tires...Chryslers of this vintage have reverse threads on the left wheels, correct? Sorry to be obtuse, but this is my first Chrysler and I want to make sure the tire guys don't butcher the lug studs right out of the gate!

Who's making it?

What cars would have had 14" steelies in this bolt pattern? Would my current cool dog dish hubcaps fit those wheels?

Oh yeah...before I do get tires...Chryslers of this vintage have reverse threads on the left wheels, correct? Sorry to be obtuse, but this is my first Chrysler and I want to make sure the tire guys don't butcher the lug studs right out of the gate!

This what I got from a guy in US;

Joe Suchy
(770)964-4441

You can use the dog disg caps on the 14" Wheel with no problem. For 13" Wheels you can use Coker Tire has a BF Goodrish tire in 7,25x13 blackwall which looks period correct. Otherwise 14" tires can be found bias ply and radial. It's up toyou and how you want to dress the car!

Who's making it?

Correct, left hand thread on the left side (providing they have not been updated, swapped for rights

just look for a L or a R on the stud, L = left R = right

185/80R13 is a really common size, fits fine. Any 67-73 A-body should have SBP 14" wheels, and 195/75R14 is also a really common size, although slightly taller.

3-21-14036_zpse924d614.jpg

Well, the weather broke enough to go get new tires (13"...sorry!), and take the wagon for a spin. It goes down the road pretty well; somebody did a bunch of brake work on it. It has a small radiator leak at the top tank, and the motor mounts are shot. The clutch is still chattering, probably because of the mounts.

Nothing on the dashboard works except the ammeter and temp gauge. No speedometer, no oil pressure light (eek!), no blinker indicators (they work outside the car), no heater fan, no radio, no fuel gauge. It's a better start than I expected, however.

Anyone know the best place to find a passenger side motor mount? I have the driver's side and a trans mount, but everywhere I check doesn't even offer the other one!

Hello from a fellow Aaron! I'm really digging your wagon, I remember stumbling onto a site a while back called wagons of steel where they showcased dragging wagons. If I had my own shop I'd do a wagon conversion to my 64 Barracuda.

I don't have experience with the Barracuda, but with other cars I've owned that came with 13's stock. I swapped them to 14's as soon as I could get wheels and always had a world of difference in handling and quality of tires I could get. Nobody makes performance tires for 13's anymore really. Heck my one car in the garage came stock with 12" Wheels!

Regarding the passenger engine mount. I also had a hell of a time locating one. Finally flea-bay came through.

Regarding the passenger engine mount. I also had a hell of a time locating one. Finally flea-bay came through.

I found one that "said" it was the right one on Ebay...hopefully it actually is!

Hello from a fellow Aaron! I'm really digging your wagon, I remember stumbling onto a site a while back called wagons of steel where they showcased dragging wagons. If I had my own shop I'd do a wagon conversion to my 64 Barracuda.

I don't have experience with the Barracuda, but with other cars I've owned that came with 13's stock. I swapped them to 14's as soon as I could get wheels and always had a world of difference in handling and quality of tires I could get. Nobody makes performance tires for 13's anymore really. Heck my one car in the garage came stock with 12" Wheels!

Performance tires are the least of my worries...this is probably the slowest car I've ever driven (and I own a Corvair and a '53 Buick!). As long as it keeps up with traffic, I'm good. :)

-
Back