1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
That is too cool! I wish I had some nice parts you needed. I would love to be a small part of your restoration. tmm

TMM, you sure can be of assistent. Whenever you find some 65 stuff let me know.

I checked out the shocks. Wow, they are new! Next thing would be to do the tail loights. I have a complete set on the right side. The left side I only have the outer light with wrong lens but I had two lenses w/back-up lights so I just need tochange that. Then there's only the left inside light left.

Happy New Year to every one and thanks for all the help I have recieved during 2011.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Did the last work on the tail light. It looks like new.

Moved some stuff around in my shop when all of a sudden one of the brackets on the radiator fell off! I checked it out and did it ready for glass beading. The radiator brackety is date coded! In this case week 47 of 1964. I'm not sure what the "S" stands for.

I started to clean out all the heater box stuff. Can't figure out how much that was!

Does anyone have a NOS inner shaft for the steering wheel for sale?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Picked up some rear sprinmg parts from the cleaning man "Metal Madness".

Awesome work they do! I'm so happy I ran across these guys.

One of the springs was possible to assemble except the the clamps. The interliners hasn't showed up yet. But they are on it's way!

The U-bolt for the rear end, what finish was it from factory?

The numbers on the brake shields turned out out great too. The last numbers in the partnumber is stamped on it. On different sides to! 10 and 12 is unknown what it stands for.

The drums was excellent. I need to make them a little darker. Not sure with what. But some one here at FABO might now?

I have one of the door strikers ready. Does anyone have a door striker with a stamped W in mint condition for sale? I can of cause do the glass beading.

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

Started with the steering column. It does not look good but with some work it might get better.

Disassembled the column and started the cleaning process. The coupler was full of old grease and oil + clogged with old dirt. But under that was the coupler and it was painted from the factory! I was pretty sure that the factory added this one on the column before they stuck it through the fire wall.

Buf it not I think if they added this one on the steering box that was assembled on the K-frame and after painted it is ok with me. But if you add the engine, tranny and all other stuff around the combo I think it would be tuff to assemble the column through the fire wall and then ad the clip and cover over the coupler! Any info?

Today I recieved a assembly line correct clamp for the speedometer wire and transmission wire. Hard to find! Like the copperich color too.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Glass beaded the steel plate around the column. Turned out great. Just need to massage the rubber gasket.

A friend from Finland showed up today with a spacer for me. It's date coded mid -64 so I guess that will do it. But I need advise how to get it the right finish? Is there some cleaning stuff for aluminium that can be used? Any input is gladly appriciated.

Yesterday in the mail came an assembly line correct return spring for 1965 Dart with V8. I've searched that one for a long time.

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

Hi Ulf, I found a sweet tire for you yesterday, it is a Good Year power cushion, black wall tire, is mounted on a spare rim from a 64 or 65 Cuda, tread has tits on it yet and never run, near mint with no damage!!! BUT, the size is 6.40-13......damn, thought I had one for you, you need 7.00-13's correct? I seen the car at a resto shop, he had 2, the one was for parts and will be parted to restore the other. The guy is also getting 2 more cars from his customer to part out to restore the one so he may have more stuff soon. I will see if I can get the pics off of my phone.

Hi Ulf, I found a sweet tire for you yesterday, it is a Good Year power cushion, black wall tire, is mounted on a spare rim from a 64 or 65 Cuda, tread has tits on it yet and never run, near mint with no damage!!! BUT, the size is 6.40-13......damn, thought I had one for you, you need 7.00-13's correct? I seen the car at a resto shop, he had 2, the one was for parts and will be parted to restore the other. The guy is also getting 2 more cars from his customer to part out to restore the one so he may have more stuff soon. I will see if I can get the pics off of my phone.

Keith! When I started to read your story I started to get excited about you found a tire for me. I said to myself, that is exactly how I or someone else should find them. But when I saw your 6.40 instead of 7.00 I just go geeeeeeeez.

Yes, I need 7.00x13 Power cushion. But they will show up. Thanks for the help Keith. I really appriciate it.

I found some old 60ies magazine last night I and boy what information I found. These pictures were taking from Rodding &Re-Styling and Cars on 1965 Darts with 273 V8s.

The first picture shows the engine without the right side gasket! Loko at the loop on the postive cable to the ignition coil. The bracket for the coil should be silver cad too. And the clamps on the fuel line is silver cad. Not the wire ones. The cable for the temperature sending unit is routed first almost to the alternator and then back to the sending unit.

The second picture shows the right spring that I posted a picture on yesterday. There seems to be some kind of paint marksings on the ignintion wires. Check out the wire for cylinder number 7. It's not in position! The top of the left shock just got one nut without the looking nut that is usually found on the right side.

Third picture shows a 1965 Coronet with a 8 3/4 rear end. Look at the numbers 283. Thats the numbers that is located in the rear end box on the broadcast sheet. You can also see how the whole left spring was painted as a unit.

The fourth picture shows the ignition coil. The factory had Chrysler, Essex or Prestolite coils. In thgis case Prestolite 200788. Those are not so common. You can also see how the brake booster hose was routed from the brake booster to the vacuum reservoir. On the upper radiator hose you can see that special pattern that they had. Anyone knows where these can be found? I think the I need to found one and then just do the white line with a striping roller pen.

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

Here it is, oh well, would have been nice if it were the right size.

4111C53A-orig.jpg

6443EF1B-orig.jpg

You are so right Keith. But the tire looks brand new. Hard to find those old mint tires. Someone on FABO might be interested?

I started to clean the wiper motor. Alot of grease and dust. I found that the wiper motor was produced bu Prestolite and date coded. This motor is produced 514, week 51 of 1964. So this is the right one.

View attachment 001.jpg

I have some questions;

1. What is the best source to buy fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carburator?

2. I talked to an old Dodge dealer in CA today who told me that Dartchargers were delivered with standard spare wheel. Not an extra Cragar wheel. Does anyone knows if the steel rims were date coded?

3. Where is it possible to get the weatherstrip that goes between the cowl support and the hood?

Thanks for any help.

For the fuel Line you may have to make your own, dont know of anyone making one. Should find some NOS line and bend your own, do you have an original one?

"For the fuel Line you may have to make your own, dont know of anyone making one. Should find some NOS line and bend your own, do you have an original one?"
Yes, I dohave an orginal on my convertible but I think I don't have the connection tothe carurator?

TMM, I checked out the website and it looks in the ad like brake lines. Anyway I looked it up and it seems like the produkt FLYGL6501 was the fuel line from rear to front. Not the one from pump to carb. I'll do some more digging into this. Thank you for your lead.

Yes, finally I found it!!

I have found a company in Norway that sells that plastic stuff that all the clips are dipped in. It's called PlastiDip and one small can is on it's way to me. Whoooo

Attachments

• image_35.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 472
This week there hasn't been too much work on the car. To much work and traveling!

Anyway after six days of laying in a bath the wiper motor turned out great. It is hard to get the right color on the steel cover for the linings. But after searching one for years it doesn't seems to be possible to find one with right date code. Inside on the cover is a ink "D" stamped. I don't have a clue what is stands for.

The brake drums is done and I'm happy. But wasn't they a little darker when they were new? Even the springs around the drum turned out as new. But the finish.........!

Anyone knowing where i can get new blue finish on the carburator tag?

The tee block is cleaned too and I found a stamped "W". I've seen it before. This company "W" seems to have made alot of stuff for Chrysler.

View attachment 013.jpg

View attachment 014.jpg

View attachment 015.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 016.jpg

View attachment 017.jpg

A friend of mine in Stockholm sent me this picture of the broadcast sheet and a little tag that is glued on the backside of the fromt carpet. Does anyone have one of these where it says gold carpet. Interestingly there is a tag on the carpet for Valiant but the carpet has been in the same Dart 270 wagon since new!

View attachment CCE20120110_00000.jpg

Quote-"The tee block is cleaned too and I found a stamped "W". I've seen it before. This company "W" seems to have made alot of stuff for Chrysler."

That W is the symbol for the Weatherhead - Hose And Fittings Company. The bacame part of Eaton in 2002.

I got my set of NOS rear shackles from Finland today. It seems like Chrysler somewhere along the production change the threads on the pins from UNC to UNF threads! Reason it not known. Anyway I started to take off the orginal pins and change them to the NOS sides. I think it will turn out good.

I even found my NOS bushings that Don (65Dartman) helped me locate at Mopar Nationals back in 2009. Thanks Don.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

wow thats a neat looking battery, but my question is, is it any good to start it with?

Honestly I hope so too. This is a dry battery and has never had any battery acid of any kind. I called a battery company today and they said that it should not be any problem. So hopefully!

Keith! I'm looking forward to your PM

-
Back