1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I bought a 4 speed from Larry a few years ago and picked it up at his shop. I can say he was a great guy to deal with and he bleeds Mopar inside his shop. He drove up in his original purchased new Hemi road runner and it was a beauty.

Cleaned out the rubber bushing that goes around the steering column. Find some ribbed pattern too.

The starter was something else. It's NOS and have never started. Date coded and all but it didn't work at all. Seems to be something wrong with the solenoid. The date codes are right. August on the lining and the body October.

This one was painted all black with no masking. Just oversprayed. Have someone else seen this?

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

After some cleaning on the date code I found out that the housing on the starter is from June 1964!! I need to get a new aluminium housing. Or was it possible to have a June built starter on a January 1965 assembled car?

I checked the old spark plug cables and they have paint on them. This means that the cables was on the distributor when the engine was painted or the cables and the cap was added right after the paint was shot so paint got on the cables.

The cables was produced by the Packard company. This cables are from quarter 3 of 1964.

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

After some cleaning on the date code I found out that the housing on the starter is from June 1964!! I need to get a new aluminium housing. Or was it possible to have a June built starter on a January 1965 assembled car?

I checked the old spark plug cables and they have paint on them. This means that the cables was on the distributor when the engine was painted or the cables and the cap was added right after the paint was shot so paint got on the cables.

The cables was produced by the Packard company. This cables are from quarter 3 of 1964.

I would say that the wires and the rest of the accessories were added while the block was still wet. Seeing many original cars over the passed thirty years, i have seen this many times. Also paint on the valve covers after they removed the mask after applying the paint. The paint was still wet and would leave paint marks like strings across the valve covers. Valve covers like hemi covers, not painted ones. Watching your progress, can't wait to see this competed.....

I would say that the wires and the rest of the accessories were added while the block was still wet. Seeing many original cars over the passed thirty years, i have seen this many times. Also paint on the valve covers after they removed the mask after applying the paint. The paint was still wet and would leave paint marks like strings across the valve covers. Valve covers like hemi covers, not painted ones. Watching your progress, can't wait to see this competed.....

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure about the valve covers on the Commando/Charger engines. I have one orginal moter never taken apart. On that engine you can see paintmarks on the valve trail and springs!!! Seems like they sprayed the engine with no valve covers and then added the them. However, I'm not sure about this process.

After glass beading my valve cover tonight it looks like new. The problem is as follows;

I had the valve cover in a bath with some kind of soda in very hot water for 24 hours. After that they rince off the rests with water to neutralize the parts. I have tried to spray the wrinkle finish on this cover as you shood in four layers. BUT, I didn't get the right wrinkle finish. So I stripped it again to see if there was a problem with the old soda.

Or is it a very special process to paint this paint with a not known process?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 710
I checked out the valve cover more exactly today. There is a manufacturer's number inside. I do not know what it stands for.

After searching the bolt that holds the clips on the rear leaf springs with 30+ mopar parts vendors I did my own bolts. They turned out ok. I need to get help from a friend of mine to get the threads.

The driver seat tracks starts to get finished. But I do need the inside bottom bracket. It is so bad and pitted.

Does anyone have one for sale?

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

Was looking at your seat part man do they look good but that yellow spring just looks like it is on backwards.

I will check tomorrow how they are mounted. But the spring is three corner bent and it seems to be done to fit the mounting hole. This picture was taken before the disassembling. But I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 657
I hope this picture make justice how the spring looks like. The bigger hook was in the lever. I will check how my other spare ones look.

The small bolt that holds the clamp to the rear leaf springs is done. They turned out great. I can hardly wait until the interliner get's here so I can bolt the rest together and shoot some paint on it.

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Do you still need spring eye bushing for the leafs? Sending PM....:glasses7:

Cleaned out the rubber bushing that goes around the steering column. Find some ribbed pattern too.

Ulf - Is this rubber bushing the piece that is up where the clamp that holds the column to the lower dash

Ulf - Is this rubber bushing the piece that is up where the clamp that holds the column to the lower dash

Yes, it is the rubber bushing that goes around the steering column. I think the Hamtramck built cars have no pattern on the bushing.,

I did some checking on the wrench, the jacket and all the parts. Was there any other tools, wrenches etc that came with the car? I have seen snow chain orginally coming with a Dart from eastern Oregon.

After some closer examination I found out that the rear shock plates have the partnumber stamped. 2071766 and 767.

Thefiller tube seems to be silver zinc plated. Mine is full of scratches and needs to be replaced. The over-pass pipe is connected through a rubber hose with red clamps! Probably meaning that the red clamps needed extra attention but I'm not sure. I might be that the clamps on the front fuel line to the fuel pump should be red as well. Any input?

The front and rear leaf spring brackets is done but I'm not sure if the were left natural or if they were painted. The rear shackles was left natural for sure so if the rear bracket was painted it was done separately.

The front bracket might have been painted with the bushing installed and the bolt and nut mounted through the hole in the bracket. That would have saved some time when the springs was painted. Or was just the spring included the front bushing painted?

The lower bracket on the right side of the drivers seat needs to be replaced. It is full of pitting. Anyone having one for sale?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Thefiller tube seems to be silver zinc plated. Mine is full of scratches and needs to be replaced. The over-pass pipe is connected through a rubber hose with red clamps! Probably meaning that the red clamps needed extra attention but I'm not sure. I might be that the clamps on the front fuel line to the fuel pump should be red as well. Any input?

My 65 Dart also has the red clamps securing the hose to the nipple on the filler tube as did the 65 Valiant 'vert I parted out. I've also seen the same style and color clamps on the power steering return lines on the 67 and later.

My 65 Dart also has the red clamps securing the hose to the nipple on the filler tube as did the 65 Valiant 'vert I parted out. I've also seen the same style and color clamps on the power steering return lines on the 67 and later.

Don! You are so right. I have heard of it but never seen it. When you mentioned this I remember that from the beginning I replated my clamps in black phosphate. I wonder if I can have them replated in red?

After cutting some wood I vent back to the shop.The clips thatholds the fuel vapor line was painted. Evidence of that is paint on the hose as well as non paint on certain areas of the clamp.

The hose between the fuel line from the fuel tank and the fuel pump seems to have silver clamps. Was this a method on the assembly line to keep the clamps apart? There is a slight difference in the diameter as well.

The orginal rubber cover in the trunk for the fuel tube was shoot. There seems to be too thin cover of rubber on the metal so they rust really easy. This is what I came up with. I'm not sure if they reproduce these ones.

View attachment 013.jpg

View attachment 015.jpg

View attachment 021.jpg

View attachment 022.jpg

View attachment 023.jpg

View attachment 019.jpg

View attachment 020.jpg

I have some questions regarding the 273 HP engine. My both DartChargers w/273 HP has CAP, Clean Air Package. It was required in the state of California. But it seems that the breather hose from the right side valve cover was connected on the backside of the carb. The air mixture screw was on the front side. Enclosed is some pictures on this. Can someone with orginal survivors verify this?

The PCV on the right side of the engine also had two different style of nut holding the valve together. It might have been different assembly lines or different manufacturers. But after checking out some pictures it seems that the LA produced cars had the bigger silver cad nut. Comments?

The oil filler cap had a breather hose on CAP equipped cars. It seems that the hose had a black phosphated band clips on each side even if mine just did on the engine side. The hose between theoil filler cap and the air cleaner has 5 grooves on the hose. Anyone having a nice used one for this?

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment salem10_104_7.jpg

View attachment COMANDO.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

These cold daysmakes me go through the internet in my search for different stuff. I found a great picture showing how the undercarrige looked after it was painted in primer. The body was oversprayed and when it came to the drying procedure you can see evidense of the paint drips.

When did Chrysler starts with just on dome light inside the car?

Is this what was included with the Dart from the factory?

I pictured my ignition coils. All these models can be right. So if some one have one of these for sale I would be all excited.

Number 1: Chrysler part# 2444241 or Essex 67-160-4

Number 2: Chrysler part# 2495531

Number 3: Prestolite part# 200789. For sure I know that it was 2007!

The date code must be from 344 week 34 of 64 until 035 week 3 of 65.

View attachment DSCN3112.jpg

View attachment !BwytTeQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKjYEvnyNtyGWBMKmRz4t8!~~_3.jpg

View attachment !BubRQNwBGk~$(KGrHqF,!i0Ev1+0EVPpBM!TtF5G7w~~_3.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

This PCV valve nut is wrong:

attachment.php

This PCV valve nut is right, but it's upside down:

attachment.php

Your '65 does not have the Clean Air Package. The CAP, which consists of modified carburetion and ignition systems, was first released on a small number of 1963-model test vehicles sold in California; see here. It wasn't present on any '64s or '65s, but was factory equipment on all new Chrysler Corp vehicles sold in California starting from the 1966 model year, and on all US-market Chrysler Corp vehicles starting from the 1968 model year.

What your car has is a ducted crankcase breather, which was on all California cars (from all makers) starting from 1964 model year, and all US-market cars starting from 1968. The only difference is the crankcase breather: open to atmosphere versus ducted to air cleaner. It gets a little confusing because "closed crankcase ventilation" was the term generically applied to a system with a ducted crankcase breather, but that same term, "closed crankcase ventilation", is what Chrysler called what we all generically know as "positive crankcase ventilation" -- that is, a PCV valve ducted to manifold vacuum, regardless of what type of crankcase breather is present.

1965_Crankcase_Breathers.png

Starter motor not-very-carefully painted all black is correct. Nothing wrong with date code, either. Remember, that starter 2095 150 was used on almost all 1964-5-6-7-8-9 Chrysler products. The only exceptions were 170 engines, taxi/fleet cars with heavy-duty 11" clutch, and some trucks. They made a lot of them at a time!

Exact-repro spark plug wires here.

I hope you don't mind Ulf but I will post the NOS air cleaner pics here, there is the one ding on the top, other than that and some light scratches it is mint. Anyone know what year its for? Other than the black paint I can't find a single difference between this cover and a chrome 273 cover. (Lid, I know the base is diff)

DSC04975.jpg

DSC04976.jpg

DSC04977.jpg

DSC04978.jpg

DSC04979.jpg

DSC04980.jpg

DSC04981.jpg

That right there is an unsilenced air cleaner, p/n 2465 310, originally installed on '64-'65 Barracuda (only) with 273-2bbl, not used on California-sold cars.

'66 version had different baseplate; the clamp band style attachment gave way to the bail-and-wingnut variety.

Same lid used on (some) '61-'67 slant-6s with a 1bbl base, and (in chrome) on 273-4bbl applications.

This PCV valve nut is wrong:

attachment.jpg

This PCV valve nut is right, but it's upside down:

attachment.jpg

Your '65 does not have the Clean Air Package. The CAP, which consists of modified carburetion and ignition systems, was first released on a small number of 1963-model test vehicles sold in California; see here. It wasn't present on any '64s or '65s, but was factory equipment on all new Chrysler Corp vehicles sold in California starting from the 1966 model year, and on all US-market Chrysler Corp vehicles starting from the 1968 model year.

What your car has is a ducted crankcase breather, which was on all California cars (from all makers) starting from 1964 model year, and all US-market cars starting from 1968. The only difference is the crankcase breather: open to atmosphere versus ducted to air cleaner. It gets a little confusing because "closed crankcase ventilation" was the term generically applied to a system with a ducted crankcase breather, but that same term, "closed crankcase ventilation", is what Chrysler called what we all generically know as "positive crankcase ventilation" -- that is, a PCV valve ducted to manifold vacuum, regardless of what type of crankcase breather is present.

1965_Crankcase_Breathers.png

Starter motor not-very-carefully painted all black is correct. Nothing wrong with date code, either. Remember, that starter 2095 150 was used on almost all 1964-5-6-7-8-9 Chrysler products. The only exceptions were 170 engines, taxi/fleet cars with heavy-duty 11" clutch, and some trucks. They made a lot of them at a time!

Exact-repro spark plug wires here.

Thanks for the input slantsixdan! You rock! First of all, dids the PCV valve just had the small nut? I've seen the big nut on so many cars.

Why is thge hose connected on the backside if you had ducted crankcase breather? It seems that all those engines had the connection on the backside. I parted out a 65 Formula S with no ducted system. The connection on the frontside and the micture screw on the backside.

I didn't know the starter was the same for so long. I'm redoing it cause it wasn't so nice inside.

Thanks once again Dan.

Keith! That is a rare option for the 273 2 barrel engines. I'll call you tomorrw.

View attachment Barracuda_Aircleaner_FPC.jpg

Starter: 2095 150 was introduced in 1962 and used through 1969, except 2098 500 on all '63s and on '64-'69 170 engines, plus aforementioned truck/fleet/taxi applications. This is US-market only; Canadian and other markets differed.

Ducting hoses: PCV valve to carburetor throttle body, always. Placement of PCV nipple on carburetor throttle body varies by carburetor make, model, and year. Crankcase breather to air cleaner, only on '64-up California, '68-up 50-state/Canada vehicles.

PCV valve nut: The correct stamped steel quick-nut wasn't an especially exotic hardware item, but not as common on this planet as an ordinary hex nut. All ordinary hex nuts look pretty much alike. It is entirely believable that Joe Greasemonkey down at the garage used a regular hex nut one day in 1972 because that's what fell to hand. It is also entirely believable, though I've never seen it, that one of the numerous companies selling OE (Stanadyne) or aftermarket metal '64-'69-type Chrysler PCV valves included a regular hex nut in the box with the valve.

Dome lights: One in the middle of the roof of a sedan or wagon, two in the C-pillars of deluxe hardtops such as Dart GTs and the like. The red-interior car you show is not an A-body.

Doom lights: Don't know, never had a car so equipped.
redbeard.gif

-
Back