1965 Formula S Barracuda

-
I just saw the pics of your project. Looks great. My cell doesn't always allow pics to show and I was working yesterday. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We do love pictures.
The rear valance is strange that it doesn't have the cut out on the drivers side.

Just curious, would anyone have a picture of the factory headers from 1965. I am not familiar with those
Not that I would like to change my stock manifolds, just curious as to how they would actually fit.
275 horses may be nice though.

Thank you for the clarification on the power pack. The 273 Commando came out in the Formula S in 1965.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Commando 273 was available prior to the Formula S being released
My 65 was ordered in Sept of 1964 with Commando 273. Documents shown on another thread.
It was my understanding the Formula S was not released for Dealer orders until Nov of 1964? I thought i saw a press release about this somewhere here....
Anyway, i believe there were Commando Cars being built prior to the Formula S release....

I can't answer that question, but I'm certain someone will have the answer.

If memory serves me correctly, the cars were built obviously prior to the release date. The 1965 cars went on display in September of 1964. At that time most of the cars were released at the basic same time. I was just a kid then but remember my dad would go around the different dealerships to see the new cars.
Unlike today when the cars are released any time of the year.
That might explain the build date question

Red flag though is rear valence. Anything can happen but why would someone change such a pita to deal with out and it looks aged to rest of car. But then again it looks to have correct tach. Do you have pics of fender tag. Does it definately have 31 under the ab portion?

About two months after getting my brand New Dodge Dart GT 273-4 (Charger vs the Commando for Plymouth)...: My Dart got rear ended at HorseNeck beach in Massachusetts... Not a lot of damage, but the rear valence got the worst of it... The body shop I guess did not realize there was anything special about it and replaced it with a new valence With Out the cut out.... They then just hung the exposed resonator a little lower... I was so happy to get my Dart back, that I did not complain!!! Hey... I was Young back then!!!!

So I have no problem with this... These little oddities in the "old classic cars" mean more to us now... Then they did when they were New!!! I just wanted to bang gears in my 4 speed Dart... ⚓

That is awesome Cliff. It is funny now I am going out of my way to make it like it was when it was new. Probably doing some things that aren't necessarily needed.
Once I have mine finished I doubt if anyone will know if it is factory correct or not.

Good day Y'all,
The only motor that came as the standard in the Formula S option was the 273 Commando up until 66. The engine was an option in any other vehicle choice.
And the only differences between the Commando/Charger motor was the label on the A/C and some coloration.

Keep digging on that history if you have any leads. Provenance is becoming more valuable to not only the personal history of the car, but to the actual
monetary value as well. Thanks, C.

I am interested in learning all I can about these cars

I have had a few days to look at this. I recently brought this car back to Southern California.
It is definitely a Project car. Yes, I know not a high dollar car, but I have always wanted an Ivory with Gold Stripe/Interior, and was looking for an S car.
There are not many options, other than the Formula S option. No power options at all. Does have the 3-spoke wheel, AM radio, manual drivers mirror, back up lights, undercoating/underhood pad. It needs a lot of work.
The Bad: Has a lot of bumps and bruises. No known history. The Broadcast page I pulled out of back seat was for another car, 2 digits off. Missing exhaust from Y pipe back. Missing the original rear valance with cut out, some rust on trunk and on the passenger floor. Glass out of rear passenger window. I have the original front fender with S badge, original paint and Barracuda script. But it was scraped and the wheel well was pinched. I think it is repairable.
Broken windshield. Interior is tattered, and dirty. Needs entire interior redone
The Good: Fender tag shows it is an S Car with corresponding options, original CA car, has most of the Formula S components (missing spare and 2 of the wheelcovers) body is solid with only stated rust areas, has the original windshield locking strip, so looks like window never out, engine runs and drives, original paint car so you can see what's there.
Any thoughts on this car? I was hoping to find something to help me track previous owners, found only a couple of partial Bank deposit slips 2 different persons, one in Newport Beach, one in Tustin CA. I was a little concerned about rivots missing at the VIN number on Door jamb? would this mean anything? It appears to be a legit S car, with the fender tag.

View attachment 1714940629

View attachment 1714940630

View attachment 1714940631

View attachment 1714940632

View attachment 1714940633

View attachment 1714940634

View attachment 1714940635

View attachment 1714940636

View attachment 1714940637

View attachment 1714940638

Nice Cuda. Here's mine.

0813091829a.jpg

If memory serves me correctly, the cars were built obviously prior to the release date. The 1965 cars went on display in September of 1964. At that time most of the cars were released at the basic same time. I was just a kid then but remember my dad would go around the different dealerships to see the new cars.
Unlike today when the cars are released any time of the year.
That might explain the build date question

I remember a guy on ebay selling a piece of newspaper , which said that the Barracuda Formula S , had been presented in November 1964.

About the price of these cars I 'm sure if you make a serious resturacion , this will have a higher cost than the market price.

Camino.jpg

int.jpg

DSC_0798.jpg

I remember a guy on ebay selling a piece of newspaper , which said that the Barracuda Formula S , had been presented in November 1964.

About the price of these cars I 'm sure if you make a serious resturacion , this will have a higher cost than the market price.

View attachment 1714945195

View attachment 1714945196

View attachment 1714945197
That's a great lookin' car. It is, except for the 4-speed, a twin to my car but looks much better. My car is un-restored and has all the little dings and nicks of a 50+ yrs old car. Current plans are to leave it that way as it is in otherwise great condition, no rust has been found as of yet. Best pics I have with it's then new stable mate a '69 Sport Fury droptop.
WP_20150709_003.jpg

That is a beautiful Barracuda. The ivory with red looks really nice. Mine was gold with a gold interior, but will more than likely be ivory with gold interior and gold stripes when completed later this year.
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

-
Back