1965 HIPO 273 intake manafolds.. Any good upgrades??

-

bhwm1972

1965 Dart GT 273
Reaction score
I found this online
Chrysler: 273 V8 thru 1965 Dual Quad Equa-Flow Manifold (5488)
1965 and Earlier Barracuda, Dart, Valiant 273 V8 Dual Quad Equa-Flow Intake Manifold.
Would a duel Quad over carb a 273??

I currently have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT 273. Its the HIPO 273 with a 904 trans and a junked 7.25 which in replacing with a 8.75 with a 3.55 gear.

I suppose you could use a pair of small AFB's or AVS's.

Would it be any faster than a single 4bbl? No. Would it cost twice as much? At least. Fuel economy hit? Possibly. Look cool? Heck yeah!

it's the wow factor that works, plus, the intake was designed when the largest carb you could get was 625...lol. Stick a couple of 500cfm AFBs on it with the hemi style progressive linkage and have fun.

I would go with a pair of the smallest 4BBL carbs you could find
that should run good and look fantastic

I suppose you could use a pair of small AFB's or AVS's.

Would it be any faster than a single 4bbl? No. Would it cost twice as much? At least. Fuel economy hit? Possibly. Look cool? Heck yeah!
X2 except I would say "yes" on lower mileage. The only other thing to consider is if it will fit under the hood without cutting. Air cleaner(s)? kickdown linkage? Even if it looks cool, if it doesn't work right, it will grow old in a hurry.

Back inthe days according to the magazines etc Chrysler recommended toadd the Carter 3856S carburator.From the beginning it was for the 383/414 engines. If you wanted more power a Offenhauser 2x4 dual plane with 2xCarter from 1956 Plymouth or 1957 Chrylser I think.

im normally a fan of dual quad set ups,but in this case im not sure youd gain anything other than wow factor.if thats your goal then have at it.if your after more power ,id think there are more cost effective ways to get it.a dual 4bbl set up can work well on the street,but the whole combo needs to be able to work with it.

I might be all wet here...but how do you "over carb" anything? carbs work on vacuum & airflow....dual quads or 6 packs the engine is only gonna pull so much and if you have the idle's adjusted right and the proper jetting ( not too lean LOL) they should work fine....
the considerations are as previously mentioned SPACE & EFFICIENCY ( as in MPG) If you dial them in properly ( using a Dyno & o2 sensor) you should be just peachy and you will have your WOW factor to boot.... there is another consideration, COST for the set up but that is your call

I would suggest dual exhaust off the stock manifolds,
if that has not been done yet; Before added dual carbs.

You want the engine to be able to use the increased air flow. :)

I am using Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on my Valiant.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU"]YouTube - 1964 Valiant dual exhaust[/ame]

I want duels.. do I have to notch the cross member for the pass side? Or does the 2 into 1 work ok? If so what size?? It's a HiPo 273 with a magnum 270S cam. And the factory 4bbl. I'm using an electric fuel pump and Pertronix II. If I go with duels.. whats the recommended size 2.25" or 2.5"?

I want duels.. do I have to notch the cross member for the pass side? Or does the 2 into 1 work ok? If so what size?? It's a HiPo 273 with a magnum 270S cam. And the factory 4bbl. I'm using an electric fuel pump and Pertronix II. If I go with duels.. whats the recommended size 2.25" or 2.5"?

I took my Valiant to a good local Midas, that had a man,
who had a good eye, and did a great job.

He did not need to notch the crossmember, for my car.
My car has 2.25" pipes, necked up from the stock size pipes,
the pipes got bigger about a foot from the engine's stock exhaust manifolds.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. :)
Do you have any photos you can share with us?

Like this ? 273/4 speed/4.86's Built to D/Dart specs

Attachments

• 64 Dart 5.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 467
I'll get some pics soon.. I'm hoping to pull it in the garage and do some detailing first. Funny some people say " you need a 340 or 360" and "that's an ugly.. Boaring color" I like the odd Dodge yellow. I figure changing the motor or the color will take away from the cars history. Vin & fender tag will then be pointless.

Dual quads, IMHO, dont waste your time. If you use Carters, youll not overcarb, but youll have to really adjust idle mix down to about nill. Mopar recommended taking the velocity valve (air door) out of the second carter in the dual setup because it wouldnt open anyway! Even a TQ will work better and run faster than duals. Been there, but do what you like, its your ride

I might be all wet here...but how do you "over carb" anything? carbs work on vacuum & airflow....dual quads or 6 packs the engine is only gonna pull so much and if you have the idle's adjusted right and the proper jetting ( not too lean LOL) they should work fine....
the considerations are as previously mentioned SPACE & EFFICIENCY ( as in MPG) If you dial them in properly ( using a Dyno & o2 sensor) you should be just peachy and you will have your WOW factor to boot.... there is another consideration, COST for the set up but that is your call

You're right ont he ariflow deal, but you'rea little off on the vacuum and overcarbing. Carbs work on a reactionary system. The fuel cannot be drawn through the carb and mixed without the drop in pressure between below the throttle plates and the area above it. the mechanics of the engine, combined with the sizing of the throttle bores determine the amount of pressure drop. The higher the pressure differential, the stronger the air movement through the carb venturi, and the better the fuel is pulled and atomized. Too large a carb can mean not enough airlow to provide good operation. That loss of efficientcy is felt as sluggish performance at low rpm, and that goes away as the rpms and airflow rises.

Sweet.. I love it.

Don't be affraid of running duel carbs. some of the chev 265s came with duel WCFBs and ran just fine. I'm running Carter 500 CFM carbs on my 273. You may want to consider some steeper rear gears.

-
Back