1965 Mexican Spec Plymouth Valiant Acapulco

-

Mexican Spec

Mason66
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is the top of the line Valiant for 1965.

They called it an Acapulco and it was the same level as the Signet.

This is a slant 6 car and I know it has a manual, but I don't know if it is a 3 on the tree or if it is a floor shift.

Look at the picture with the speedometer, which shows exactly, almost, 30,000 KM, and tell me from the steering column if it is a 3 on the tree. It doesn't look like it has the collar that moves for that, so it might be a floor shift.

You can see the Barracuda front end on this car. Did Plymouth use the Barracuda front end on any Valiant in the US?

It says something on the valve cover, but I am not sure what that is.

Please tell me your opinion on the color as well. Under the hood looks like a gold color but the car is most definitely an orange. I am not sure if Plymouth offered an orange in Mexico that year.

Over all this is a pretty cool car. What do you think?

02-lf.jpg
03-left.jpg
04-left.jpg
05-int.jpg
05-speedo.jpg
06-eng.jpg

01-thumb.jpg

The color might the sun versus the engine compartment being shadowed by the hood. The cowl is the same color as the inner fenders and firewall. It is a cool car!

I find it interesting that South of the border A body cars seem to have almost all gotten rear fold down arm rests.

This is the top of the line Valiant for 1965.

They called it an Acapulco and it was the same level as the Signet.

This is a slant 6 car and I know it has a manual, but I don't know if it is a 3 on the tree or if it is a floor shift.

Look at the picture with the speedometer, which shows exactly, almost, 30,000 KM, and tell me from the steering column if it is a 3 on the tree. It doesn't look like it has the collar that moves for that, so it might be a floor shift.

You can see the Barracuda front end on this car. Did Plymouth use the Barracuda front end on any Valiant in the US?

It says something on the valve cover, but I am not sure what that is.

Please tell me your opinion on the color as well. Under the hood looks like a gold color but the car is most definitely an orange. I am not sure if Plymouth offered an orange in Mexico that year.

Over all this is a pretty cool car. What do you think?

View attachment 1715843923 View attachment 1715843924 View attachment 1715843925 View attachment 1715843926 View attachment 1715843927 View attachment 1715843928

View attachment 1715843922

This car is very , very cool!
Every time I see this front end on a sedan, it makes me wonder why Mopar didn't offer a Formula S in this configuration, including a convertible. One case where they completely missed a golden opportunity. I keep thinking about a 4-speed with an aluminum performance version of the slant 6. What a great car that could have been!!

Sweet ride! Looks like the shift linkage is visible in the under hood pic, just below the brake master cylinder, on the steering column.

This car is very , very cool!
Every time I see this front end on a sedan, it makes me wonder why Mopar didn't offer a Formula S in this configuration, including a convertible. One case where they completely missed a golden opportunity. I keep thinking about a 4-speed with an aluminum performance version of the slant 6. What a great car that could have been!!
On that point I am going to guess they didn't want to dilute the specialness of the Barracuda.

The Barracuda was also sold here but with a slant 6 so they were basically the same car.

I find it interesting that South of the border A body cars seem to have almost all gotten rear fold down arm rests.
I am not sure about all, but some.

They had to offer some options over the base model.

In the US they had V8 engines and air conditioning and other options not offered here.

If it was a U.S. car, the driver's side mirror would be wrong, the horn button would be one for a Dodge, the alternator would be on the passenger side, and the only floor shift manual trans would be a 4 speed that year. Also, it looks like it either has the Mopar dealer installed/day 2 locking gas cap, or, an aftermarket one. The wheel covers don't look correct either, but, anything could have come with that package for all I know. Are the windshield moldings part of the Acapulco molding package?

Very nice! How common are they in Mexico? I saw a 64-65 Valiant in el DF the last time I was down there about 10 years ago. Couldn’t believe it.

If it was a U.S. car, the driver's side mirror would be wrong, the horn button would be one for a Dodge, the alternator would be on the passenger side, and the only floor shift manual trans would be a 4 speed that year. Also, it looks like it either has the Mopar dealer installed/day 2 locking gas cap, or, an aftermarket one. The wheel covers don't look correct either, but, anything could have come with that package for all I know. Are the windshield moldings part of the Acapulco molding package?

Some Dodge pieces were used on these.

The wheel covers are correct for this car although I am not sure if they should or should not have the spinner.

I am not sure about the moldings though.

The higher numbers do look interesting if you are used to speedos in MPH.

Mexico was the only place you would find KPH on the speedos in this year so they are somewhat special.

Valiants and Barracudas for export (Europe etc) did also have KPH speedos...

Our '65 Barracuda:

20170205_134339-jpg.jpg

-
Back