1965 Valiant Engine & Trans Swap Info Needed

-

Scotish

Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of help/info on my 65 Valiant project.

My plan is to install a later model 225/904 (73-ish) combo in the car to replace the 170/904 the car was born with.

#1 - With that said is there anything I need to change on the engine (225) like the oil pan or any other issues I will need to deal with ?

#2 - With installing the later model 904 I will not be using the cable shift column and I'm OK with that. Probably just use an aftermarket floor shifter. The question I have is will a 63/64 A-Body pushbutton column bolt-in & plug-in right in place of my original ? I would like to get rid of the auto column gear selector & handle.

Hey guys I need a bit of help/info on my 65 Valiant project.

My plan is to install a later model 225/904 (73-ish) combo in the car to replace the 170/904 the car was born with.

#1 - With that said is there anything I need to change on the engine (225) like the oil pan or any other issues I will need to deal with ?

#2 - With installing the later model 904 I will not be using the cable shift column and I'm OK with that. Probably just use an aftermarket floor shifter. The question I have is will a 63/64 A-Body pushbutton column bolt-in & plug-in right in place of my original ? I would like to get rid of the auto column gear selector & handle.

Will need to use your 65 oil pan and pickup tube and motor mounts if you using a 68 or later 904 you won't have to bush the back of the crankshaft for the torque converter hub the only issue with the steering column will be the turn signal switch connector(maybe) and you must get the correct column (manual or power steering) and the floor plate for the column and you will have to rewire your neutral safety switch for the one in the transmission. Oh one other issue the exhaust pipe may hit because the 225 is 1 inch taller than the 170

Brian

Sounds pretty straight forward. So all /6 pans are interchangeable...just a chassis specific thing ?

65 early a body uses a different pan. use the 170 pan & pick up along with the motor mounts on the 225 like previously stated and you will be good.

The top connection of the radiator to the head moved up too, of course. So probably a new hose.

Probably some throttle linkage movement too?

Only the non A/C slants used the rod, the slant w/AC and the V8 had cable throttles IIRC.

Engine & Trans are in their place. Thanks again for the help.

20180823_163954_resized.jpg

One more question...I'm assuming that a '66 A-Body will have mechanical shift linkage (non-cable). I know of a '66 Valiant in a boneyard and I believe it was an auto on the column. I'm thinking the '66 column would be a direct bolt-in/plug-in into my '65 ?

-
Back