1965 Valiant radio wiring harness question

-

bruceo2011

Still waiting for Y2K
Reaction score
So my 65 Valiant does not have a radio. However, the fuse box has a fuse in the radio slot and is live in the on and acc positions. Before I try to get under the dash and get my bifocals to focus, was the wiring harness to the radio installed in non radio cars. I've got a factory AM radio that was pulled from a car and stored all these years. Bench testing shows it works and sounds great.

I believe the radio harness is just 2 wires: one from the fuse and one for the speaker +, both attached by the T shaped socket to the radio. IIRC The Plymouth radio had the back light on with the dash lights, and the Valiant had the back light on with radio power, other wise they were identical minus the Plymouth/Valiant graphic.

well, it would be off the fuse if it were I suppose. Mine is nowhere stock so I couldnt see anything that would help under there.

I read a 1963 TSB on Valiants being delivered with radios installed, but the antenna kit was in the trunk. Radios could be switched between cars if needed and then the holes could be drilled and rhe antenna installed. I just found it strange to find a fuse in the radio circuit of a non radio car. I'll have to get a mirror out and investigate further under the dash.

-
Back