1965 vs 1973 7.25” small bolt pattern axle

-

Ruinnations

Reaction score
Are there any differences between a 1965 SBP 7.25” 9” brake axle and a 1973 SBP 9” brake 7.25” axle?
Length, flange thickness, spline count, shaft diameter, bearing, mounting plate, etc?

I have a 65 valiant with a 73 duster rear end. I bought replacement rear axles with bearings and mounting plates attached that were for the 65 rear. They are drilled for both SBP and BBP.I would like to put them in the 73 rear if they fit?

Thanks

Use a tape measure and measure from the center section to the backing plate flange and measure the brake drum width. If the 1973 is indeed a small wheel bolt pattern, the brake drums "should" be the same width with a 9 bolt differential cover.

I can't swear to it, but see how many bolt holes are in the axle retaining flange. If they both have 4 bolts they should interchange. If they both have 5 bolts they should interchange. If one has 4 bolts, and one has 5 bolts, no interchange.

I can't swear to it, but see how many bolt holes are in the axle retaining flange. If they both have 4 bolts they should interchange. If they both have 5 bolts they should interchange. If one has 4 bolts, and one has 5 bolts, no interchange.
I know for a fact the 65 is a 4 bolt. Will have to pull a drum off the 73 and count bolts.
Thanks

Are there any differences between a 1965 SBP 7.25” 9” brake axle and a 1973 SBP 9” brake 7.25” axle?
Length, flange thickness, spline count, shaft diameter, bearing, mounting plate, etc?

I have a 65 valiant with a 73 duster rear end. I bought replacement rear axles with bearings and mounting plates attached that were for the 65 rear. They are drilled for both SBP and BBP.I would like to put them in the 73 rear if they fit?

Thanks
What are these mystery axles, whose are they?

I know for a fact the 65 is a 4 bolt. Will have to pull a drum off the 73 and count bolts.
Thanks
You can look at the back side of the backing plate to count bolts. No need to pull the drum.
PS: Your'e not that far from me, If you need help or parts, contact me in a "conversation". I'll give you my address and phone number.

He means the axle bearing retaining plate holes. SN a 5 bolt will fit a 4 bolt. But not the other way around.

A 7 1/4 axle with a 5 bolt retaining plate will not fit a 4 bolt housing. Bearings are a different size.
Oh… okay. Thanks for that heads up.
I just looked that up on rock auto. Your right- different bearing. Thanks for the skool lesson.

Oh… okay. Thanks for that heads up.
I just looked that up on rock auto. Your right- different bearing. Thanks for the skool lesson.
No problem. We had a discussion on 8 1/4 rears some years ago. A whole bunch of us, learned a lot back then. This is how we all learn, by using each other's experience.

No problem. We had a discussion on 8 1/4 rears some years ago. A whole bunch of us, learned a lot back then. This is how we all learn, by using each other's experience.
Charlie- then you don’t want to know what happens when you drink too much tequila and whiskey and then young punks talking stuff. I don’t wish that experience on any one lol! Great in the moment… not the next day. Syleng1

You can look at the back side of the backing plate to count bolts. No need to pull the drum.
PS: Your'e not that far from me, If you need help or parts, contact me in a "conversation". I'll give you my address and phone number.
Thanks. I will look at the backing plate.

It is a 4 bolt plate. I will pull the axles and install the new ones. I have dual pattern 9” drums to go with the new axles. Looking forward to having matching 15” wheels all round. Thanks for the help.

Finally had time to install the axles.

All is well so far.

The axles and drums were bought from Dr. Diff.

Police wheels on a 65 convertible Valiant.

Thanks

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

-
Back