1966 273 v8 cam suggestions and exhaust too?...it will never be super performance but

-

ibfunru

ibfunru
Reaction score
It will never be a supoer performance car as I want to keep the original motor in but what cam suggestions have you and exhaust just to sound good out there?...I plan on taking the motor out this fall and bringing to an engine shop

Well, a lot depends on what you want to do with it. In example, is there a time you want to run in the 1/4 mile? The little engines need a bit of gear and rpm to run hard.
Also, on exhaust sound, I would certainly suggest going to a few car shows/meets and listen to what's out there. Once you find a sound you like, go on over to the car owner and simply ask. Car owners love questions about there car and even more so when you compliment there cars sound. Ask'em what he runs and they'll just spill there guts.

For your 273, the hard part about the rebuild is pistons. Egge machine makes slugs for your mill. Other than them, I do not know where to look. I'm sure another 273 owner will pop up and help out with the slugs.

Rumble is right about the exhaust.......listen to some cars and get a idea what's going on with some of the newer mufflers.

As far as the cam, you want to stay pretty mild on a street style low compression 273, that has a stockish trans and gears. I assume yours is a hydraulic engine, so off the top of my head, i'd say the mild Voodoo should work out pretty decent.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1543&gid=287

A mild CompCams XE is another option.....

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=625&sb=0

Nice cam pick Rick. That will work great with the hwy. gears.

for the cam id look at an isky E-4 solid.as for the exhaust i like the commando 273 single system,or something similar.exhaust note is subjective....what sounds good to one person sounds like crap to another.

I had a comp 268h in mine and it sounded good and ran pretty well. With dual exhaust off of manifold and 2 chamber flows it sounded a lot meaner than it was.

Isky E 4 cam is close to the 66 Hp 273 cam. Just a little lope and a good runner for a stock motor. I put the Accurite LTD exhaust system on mine. A nice fitting single system like the original. Egge has low and high compression pistons available as Rumble stated. You may be able to have pistons made by contacting different manufacturers. I built my 273 a few years ago and it is a good runner, very dependable, and is fairly economical to run.
Check out my build thread. tmm

All great input for me....I would never run a 1/4.....probably never even go on the highway more than ten miles away....just plan on cruising around town.....going to work with it or grocery/task machine......I do have a 318 I could bolt up to it with but then I loose the originality even if I keep the 273 in the garage

-
Back