1966/67 barracuda bucket seat interchangeability

-

bryan Schaupp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ran into this or has any information that could help me. I am getting close to putting in the interior in my 1967 barracuda.

I have a set of bucket seats from 69 barracuda and a set from a 1966 barracuda. The ones from the 1966 have hard backs with chrome molding which I really like and the 1969 have been recently reupholstered so they are nice. I see brackets are significantly different.

Here are my questions:

1. Would the hard backs and side trim on the 1966 buckets fit on 1969 frames?
2. Are the tracks on the 1967 easily modified to fit into 1967-1969 barracuda? - looks at minimum one side would need to be raised.
3. Would the best route be to take 1969 tracks and put them on the 1966/67 seats?
4. Has anyone played with any of these changes and what problems did you run into?

The 1966/67 hard backs have chrome trim and look really cool/classy in my opinion. the 1969 have center emblems that look really nice and have nice upholstery and I could just put them in w/o any problems. the 1967 will need to be re-done but appear to be nice other wise (have not yet received these). If I am able to put the hard backs and trim on the 1969 seats I would have best of both worlds - if possible

Thanks in advance if you have any information that will help.

Best regards,

Bryan

In conversations with Legendary the 66/67 seat frames are the same for both A and B Bodies - tracks and seat covers different. I know the 68/69 A Body frames are the same and different from the 66/67 frames (unknown if they’re the same as a B Body). So I would say the hardbacks from the 66/67 are not going to be easily adapted to the 68/69 frames.

I’d say the 66 seats with the 66 tracks should be easily adapted to the 67 floor pan with spacers or whatever else is needed to make them fit. I am putting 66 seats in my 65 Dart and there’s enough difference between the 65 and 66 tracks I needed to add 1 spacer and drill new mounting holes. No comment on the 69 track swap to the 66 seats. Personally, i’d Use whatever seats that float your boat and adapt the tracks to fit.

Thanks for information. Once I get all my measurements and compare everything I will see. Thanks again.

68 and up has shoulder restraints and latches on the seat back hinges. That belt across the chest would hurt a lot more if the seat back went forward with you.

68 and up has shoulder restraints and latches on the seat back hinges. That belt across the chest would hurt a lot more if the seat back went forward with you.

Yeah, that. The loose seat back is kind of dubious used with shoulder belts. But you probably don't have shoulder belts in your 67 so you're good. I'd go with the 66 seats for the look and try to make them work with the 67-69 tracks.

66 and 67 barracuda seats are not the same. Nothing about them is the same. The frames on the 67 are slightly taller. The 67 has provisions for head rests, 66 do not. The frames are very different.

67 is pretty much one year only in A bodies so I would get the right seat for the car.

66 and 7 seats are the same for A and C bodies but not A

I put 71 Challenger seats in my 67 Barracuda. I had to redrill my 67 mounting tracks to fit the 71 seats but they look like they belong there. (to me)
I also retrofit 3 Pt seat belts into my 67 before I installed the seats.

66 and 67 barracuda seats are not the same. Nothing about them is the same. The frames on the 67 are slightly taller. The 67 has provisions for head rests, 66 do not. The frames are very different.

67 is pretty much one year only in A bodies so I would get the right seat for the car.

66 and 7 seats are the same for A and C bodies but not A
You covered the only differences I found between 66 and 67 a-body buckets seats. The back frame is slightly taller, its top member is round stock. 67 is formed to square with holes for headrests. 3/4 inch difference at most. Some of the early metal seat backs had a carpeted toe kick area. I don't think that carried over to 67.
I have 66 bucket frames with 67 skins on them in my 67 today. I had/still have the 67 verts bucket frames to compare to.

I was told that the 65 and 66 seats were different. The 66 seats are narrower than the 65 seats, because of the console. I am putting a 66 console in my 65 barracuda and wouold like to use my 65 seats. would they fit? Or are the 65 seats to wide. Does anyone have any experience with this type of swap.

It might be more simple to install the 65 seats then use measurements of the later full-length console to determine will it fit. I personally don't have experience with this swap but in my mind I can see the wider and slightly longer base portion of the 65 model seat colliding with the wider forward portion of the console.
Again with my personal experience and opinion... the OEM console is a POS. No cup holders, no arm rest, and a vertical oriented lighter well. A coin dropped in there is a short circuit of 20 amps minimum. My RAM truck has a 12 volt well inside the console but they were wise enough to place it horizontally, rubber cover door or not.
The 67 B'cuda vert I had planned to restore came from factory with floor shift automatic and console. I had already gathered the parts needed to change it to column shift. I imagined my grandkids standing and walking through between the buckets same as I and cousins did in a uncles convertible.
Final comment, If you are determined you just must have a center piece of furniture in the cabin, Look at the threads about homemade consoles. Build or buy something practical and usable.

-
Back