1966 Barracuda AM/FM radio part number?

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
Anyone have info. and/or a pic of a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda AM/FM radio? Part Number? Model number? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a third wire unlike AM radios, what modification is neccessary to make it work?

Thx, Roberto

To my knowledge an AM/FM was never offered on an early A. A 70's A Body knob style AM/FM fits a 65 Dart as I had one in my Dart for years. May fit a 66 A Body - not sure.

Yes, you could order one starting in 1965 for A bodies...Here's the pic of the factory AMFM in my old 1965 Barracuda "S".

pict0045hc.jpg

'65-'66 Valiant FM-AM radio, model 372: 2661 687 (for '66 Valiant use with bezel 2580 748).

'66 Dart FM-AM radio, model 373A: 2808 952.

'65-'66 Valiant FM-AM radio, model 372: 2661 687 (for '66 Valiant use with bezel 2580 748).

This would be the correct one for a '66 Barracuda? Would it look exactly like the one pictured by 1969CUDAMAN in his 1965 Barracuda?
I seen one similar but it was model 367.
Also how would you accommodate the third wire?

Thanks fellas

This would be the correct one for a '66 Barracuda?

Yes.

Would it look exactly like the one pictured by 1969CUDAMAN in his 1965 Barracuda?

Since I don't know exactly what his is, I can't say.

Also how would you accommodate the third wire?

What third wire? I suppose I'd probably…connect it to where it needed to go!

Since I don't know exactly what his is, I can't say.

What third wire? I suppose I'd probably…connect it to where it needed to go![/QUOTE]

Its been a while since I pulled my AM radio but I believe it had 2 wires and the am/fm radios of that time period had a third wire for a rear speaker which early-A Barracudas do not have.

I think a giveaway for an AM/FM is the 2nd transistor on the front if your swap meet shopping.

IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG

This is what we did in Jason's car we're restoring.

We modified the factory early A AM face plate and put it over top of a 1973 Plymouth scamp AM/FM radio.

From a glance it looks factory and fits like a glove.

Just another option for an uncut dash and factory early A look

Here's a page out of the 1966 accessory catalog for Dodge. FM was not stereo I don't believe.
66acp5.jpg

How'd you get chrome pushbuttons on a '73 Scamp radio? The ones I've seen have had black pushbuttons.

That's a good question Dan. Lol.

My uncle had the car for years, and parted it out about 10 years ago, so it's been a long time. Might not be the original radio to the scamp. But it was a pretty original car

How'd you get chrome pushbuttons on a '73 Scamp radio? The ones I've seen have had black pushbuttons.
To get a factory AM/FM radio in my 66 Barracuda, I had a set of black buttons plastic chromed to match the original AM chrome ones. Unfortunately, the AM radio buttons are not interchangeable with the AM/FM.

The original faceplate had round button holes. So we had to carefully trim them out to slide it over the square button radio.

While prorac1 did a very nice installation job with the AM/FM radio, based on the font on the faceplate of the AM/FM they used it looks more like a '66-'67 "B" body AM/FM than a correct '73 scamp one even if removed from a scamp. This would also explain the difficulty in exchanging buttons another member mentioned as I've not had a problem doing that between AM's and AM/FM's as long as the years were the same or +/- 1-2 yrs. approx. Agree with other members that the '73?- '76 style knob type AM/FM is the best solution for your '66 cuda as it has the same white numerals on a black background as your '66 cuda (and many others) and is a direct bolt in, including knobs and wiring, other than a minor mod on rear support brace if used. Never seen the third wire your referring to, and I've looked at many of these radios over the years from a large variety of years and applications.

By George! I think you found it.

Thank you for the compliment and for solving our radio mystery.

Eric and Jason.

IMG_3418.PNG

Looks real real similar to the 1967 GTX radio in the pic above.

I apologize if I derailed the thread. But thank you for figuring out what our radio came from.

Although nerdy, I dig keeping track of all the donor vehicles it took to build a car. Lol.

Thanks again. Eric and Jason.

-
Back