1966 Barracuda Brakes

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
Hello. My 1966 Barracuda has 10 inch front drums and 9 inch rears. I am wondering if I should change the rears to 10 inch. The rear drums have a wierd sheet metal flange around the perimeter on the inside. I would like to keep the car as much stock as possible since it is a Formula S, so I think I will keep the drums in the front (I do have most of a broadcast sheet from the back seat). I also don't know if 10 inch rear drums were a factory option. What is recommended? Thanks.

ALL V8 a-bodies left the factory with 10" rear drums (or were supposed to). Your rear end has probably been changed to one from a /6 car. The 7-1/4 was such a weak rear end that it would not be surprising that yours has been changed.

I don't think all V8 A bodies had (or were even supposed to have) 10" brakes. My '64 273, 4 speed Barracuda came with 9" x 2" drums all the way around. I've owned it for over 32 years & it was all original when I bought it. I believe all '64s were this way. Every one I've ever seen had 9" brakes. I read in the book "Dodge Challenger & Plymouth Barracuda" by David Newhardt that all '65s with V8s were supposed to have 10" brakes but that some slipped through with the 9" ones. I also noticed some things he was wrong about in the book, so I don't know for sure about what he says about the '65 models. Every 65 or later V8 A body that I've dealt with had 10" brakes.

If the car is a Formula S it really should have 10" brakes all the way around, but easily could have been switched somewhere along the line. Are you sure the brakes are 9"? What you describe sounds like the "flanged" 10" x 1 3/4" drums I currently have on the rear of my car. I have the 8 3/4" rear & brakes from a (71?) Demon.

:burnout:

I mis-spoke in the above post. It wasn't in the Newhardt book where I read that some V8 '65s slipped through with 9" Brakes. I can't figure out where I read it, but I know I did somewhere................... AAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!! :banghead: It's terrible getting old! They say the mind is the first thing to go......... :tard:

OK, I went down and measured the rear brake drum and shoes for the wheel I have off. The diameter of the drum (ID) is an even 9 inches. The shoes measure 2 inches wide. Near as I can tell, I have a 7-1/4 inch axle. The broadcast sheet says it has the sure grip option. When I turn either the drive shaft or one rear wheel, both wheels do not turn. EIther the sure grip is worn out, or it does not have it. The axle tag is missing. Thanks for helping.

-
Back