1966 Barracuda door latch issue

-

CudaJason

Reaction score
IMG_8387.jpeg
IMG_8385.jpeg
IMG_8386.jpeg
IMG_8383.jpeg
So I have begun the cleanup on one of the 66 Barracudas I recently drug home. This car is over all really really solid. I got the outside cleaned up as good as I can for the moment, and I need to get to the inside. Unfortunately it seems the passangers side door latch seems to be seized up fro Not being opened since 1989. I have been trying to soak the latch mechanism in Gibbs brand penetrant. From The outside and the inside of the door. I was able to to get the passenger door panel off without destroying it with the door closed. Anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this rotary latch freed up to open? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jason

My door use to do this now and then, try giving it a solid shove by putting your shoulder into it while pulling back door release

I soaked my 66 sedan latch in Evaporust. It must have helped the rotary part as it started to turn slowly at first then freely ss I worked on it. After lubing everything really well, it now works as it should plus doesn’t look to bad either

I soaked my 66 sedan latch in Evaporust. It must have helped the rotary part as it started to turn slowly at first then freely ss I worked on it. After lubing everything really well, it now works as it should plus doesn’t look to bad either
I plan to do the same once I get the door open so i can get the latch out.

My door was still on the 2 door Valiant in the junkyard. I got the door off by removing the door from the hinges (someone had already grabbed the fender). Then it was easy removing the latch from the door.

My door was still on the 2 door Valiant in the junkyard. I got the door off by removing the door from the hinges (someone had already grabbed the fender). Then it was easy removing the latch from the door.
That's gonna be my last resort maneuver, but it had crossed my mind. I really don't want to pull this fender off though......

Have someone work both the inside and outside door release while you watch the action on the latch. Sometimes you can manually move the linkage a bit further to make the latch release.

I was able to get the latch free by going from inside the door and using a long flathead screw driver and a hammer to lightly tap on the rotary star to free it up. Soaked it with Gibbs penetrant and now it works perfect.

-
Back