1966 Canadian built valiant custom 200 convertible

-
I just found my 1966 Valiant brochure. On the front, it just says Valiant. Nowhere, inside does it say Plymouth or Dodge. I never realized that, before. While I was looking for it, I came upon a 1961, brochure for the Dodge Valiant!

Yes. I came across that valiant website earlier. Also came across earlycuda site. Other than that, still hunting around.
Hence, reaching out in this great site.
Glad the car didn't need much as parts are scarce and/or expensive.
When l restored my 69 cuda in 2012, many more parts were available and reasonably priced when the dollar was around par with the US.
Today, l cannot fathom how anybody could restore any A body and NOT loose there shirt.
Plus with the exchange rate and most stuff is in US dollars to boot.

My vin "L" usually means dart, which the car is based on, without the valiant lettering across the hood and trunk, it is a 1966 Dart. Car is registered in Ontario as a Plymouth valiant. THE DMV or ministry of transportation up here in Canada must have required a "make" to register the car. Although the Plymouth and dodge make was not used in any of their marketing materials. Really should be Chrysler valiant.
Again, these cars were sold at both dodge and Plymouth dealerships.
So, my thinking is this particular car was sold at a "plymouth" dealership, and registered that way.
The other gentleman from Quebec confirmed his identical car has the "L" at the start of his vin as well.
I feel a bit releaved he confirmed this as l thought something funny was up on this car.

I also have this booklet that came with the car. It is not for my particular car but CONFIRMS the way this other 1966 valiant 4 door was tagged at point of sale.
Again, no Plymouth on the registration and the "L" even though it's a 1966 valiant.

20200423_151617.jpg

20200423_151739.jpg

My vin "L" usually means dart, which the car is based on, without the valiant lettering across the hood and trunk, it is a 1966 Dart. Car is registered in Ontario as a Plymouth valiant. THE DMV or ministry of transportation up here in Canada must have required a "make" to register the car. Although the Plymouth and dodge make was not used in any of their marketing materials. Really should be Chrysler valiant.
Again, these cars were sold at both dodge and Plymouth dealerships.
So, my thinking is this particular car was sold at a "plymouth" dealership, and registered that way.
The other gentleman from Quebec confirmed his identical car has the "L" at the start of his vin as well.
I feel a bit releaved he confirmed this as l thought something funny was up on this car.

1966 was the year the "Auto Pact" agreement between the US and Canada auto makers came in, and Canadian VIN's became the same as US VIN's, so an "L" in your VIN is correct, even though it's a Valiant. You can use the US VIN decoding system to decode your car.

By the way, that's a great looking 67 Dart gt convertible.
The first car l restored was the same but a hardtop. Owned it for over 20 years and never should have sold it.

Interesting fact regarding what dana67dart mentioned about claiming "numbers matching" on a 1966 car. Should have said: year correct as it is difficult to determine as fact.
MY fender tag shows the build date was May 3,1966 as does the rad support. My block numbers shows casting date 2-17-66, However, l scraped off the paint on drivers side block below the cylinder head, shows B-273-03-02 ??
Also, there are a couple of items on my fender tag with information l cannot find?
Upper lower case letters- under "W", there is number 6, and
Middle row, upper case letter "E" , there is a number 3.
Anyone know what options these are to confirm?

That's a beauty! I just bought one of these cars a couple of weeks ago, so I guess we know there were at least 2!
Mine isn't in as good of shape as yours, but looking forward to bringing it back. Seems like when ordering parts of any kind - at least so far- I need to call it a Dart GT, as Valiant automatically brings up the US Valiant.

66 Valiant 1.jpg

66 Valiant 2.jpg

That's a beauty! I just bought one of these cars a couple of weeks ago, so I guess we know there were at least 2!
Mine isn't in as good of shape as yours, but looking forward to bringing it back. Seems like when ordering parts of any kind - at least so far- I need to call it a Dart GT, as Valiant automatically brings up the US Valiant.

View attachment 1715547295

View attachment 1715547296

Yes. US. 1966 dodge dart to try and sourçe stuff. Like everything else, parts are expensive and these models were low production so hard to find what you may need and scarce reproduction anything.

A rose (or Dart or Valiant) by any other name...
Regardless of the Canadian system of naming locally manufactured cars - and it certainly can be confusing - your car was built with (U.S.) Dart body panels. Comparing ‘66 Valiant and Dart images, it’s apparent they share no body panels, save for (possibly) the hood and trunk lid.
No matter the name, be it Valiant or Unicorn, you’ve found yourself a beautiful example of automotive history!

I also own a ‘69 Barracuda and it got me thinking - Was the Canadian ‘66 Cuda actually a Cuda? Since (U.S.) Dodge had only the Dart to Plymouth’s Valiant ‘63-‘66, and no Barracuda doppelgänger between ‘67-‘69, with the 2nd gen body.
It would be awesome to see pics of 1st gen Canadian Barracudas and descriptions of differences between them and their U.S. brethren. Heck, for that matter, how about posting pics of ANY Canadian Barracudas!

Last edited:
I once owned a Canadian '65 Valiant Signet (= US Dart GT) - bought it just after the 5-year, 50k warranty ran out - loved that car, was actually trying to find one when I tripped over my Barracuda and ended up buying it.

A rose (or Dart or Valiant) by any other name...
Regardless of the Canadian system of naming locally manufactured cars - and it certainly can be confusing - your car was built with (U.S.) Dart body panels. Comparing ‘66 Valiant and Dart images, it’s apparent they share no body panels, save for (possibly) the hood and trunk lid.
No matter the name, be it Valiant or Unicorn, you’ve found yourself a beautiful example of automotive history!

I also own a ‘69 Barracuda and it got me thinking - Was the Canadian ‘66 Cuda actually a Cuda? Since (U.S.) Dodge had only the Dart to Plymouth’s Valiant ‘63-‘66, and no Barracuda doppelgänger between ‘67-‘69, with the 2nd gen body.
It would be awesome to see pics of 1st gen Canadian Barracudas and descriptions of differences between them and their U.S. brethren. Heck, for that matter, how about posting pics of ANY Canadian Barracudas!
Go here...Canadian Valiants and Darts, and other Canadian Chrysler cars

-
Back