1966 dart convertible

-
Hey Kurt.
How's about casting an extra bezel for the top switch and I can pay you for it to help offset your costs???

sure I can do that let me clean up the first one and re cast it so it looks better. I was afraid to get aggressive sanding the original one since it was just wayyyyyy to brittle to do anything but glue it together and gently sand it back close to shape. I'm almost ready to cast another mold as soon as my RTV suply comes in again. AND I clean up the flaws in the one I made. that one I can sand the crap out of and not worry about breaking it. plus I want to tint it black anyway.

well, we're sorting things out, slow but sure. the body is moving slower than I want, unfortunately, the quarter that was replace, he split the radii and welded it there. A wee bit over the 1/4" max filler I wanted and trying to get the radius is a pain. The convertible top frame has been repaired and repainted. In the throws of putting that together now. The coonsole is together, repainteedd the sides and new tops from classsic industries. The shifter top is fine, but the console glove box top is iffy ay best. Will have to send that back I'm afraid. Soo, siince I apppear to have a.d.d. I have moved on to the heater box. But, I seem to be missing the driver side fresh air boox assembly. Have to start looking. Heres a few pics. pain in the A@# due to the fact I can only load one pic at a time. Operator error, not equipment failure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 226
Any idea where these go?
Thanks

great progress
the left most part is part of the console linkage. the rod that goes through the floor hump slides into the hole. the 2 bolts (if I remember right) bolt to the trans. that way you have a floating linkage so the shifter doesn't move with the trand/engine when you accelerate or decelerate. the other 2 parts .....I have no idea at all. i have not seen that on my dart anywhere that I know of. hopefully I don't need them since I don't have them:D
View attachment !!!!mystery parts 1.jpg

when you go into the thread (like
I'm doing in a reply or a start of a thread do you see the paper clip on the top of the tool bar (right next to the smiley face) click on that and a window will pop up (you have to allow popups on this site.) then a list will pop up in a separate window like this

View attachment !!!!!popup window!.jpg

(step 1)select browse find the picture you want to upload(do not hit upload at this time)
(step 2) click on the next row browse (repeat step 1)
(step3 ) select all the file?? are you done ok NOW hit upload.. wait for the files to show in the popup window
like this
View attachment !!!!!popup window2.jpg

then close the popup (says close window top right hand side in the red/maroon bar.
now you back to the message saying ok where the heck are my pictures I just uploaded... funny that you should ask. make sure where your flashing cursor is (ya know where you were typing, the flashing line) click on your mouse where you want a pic to go just click on the paper clip again and bingo there they are. now to insert them just click on and choose that pic. or insert all in a column by hitting insert all. BAM! done deal. hit preview message and you'll see you shiny new pic's in there.
edit as you like . (dang sounded hard didn't it). it's harder to explain it that do it really. after you do it the first time you'll say DUH:banghead: that's easy.

they must be of a certain size also (640x480) is about perfect for most other people to see them fully without having to scroll the screen left to see it all.

it really is easy once you do it for the first time.

now to confuse ya for sure.
you could upload your pic's to a site(flickr, photobucket ect) and use the popup window but choose the bottom button that says
"upload file from URL " then add in the website to your pics
like www.flikr.com/mypictureofmy66dart.html" or something similar

preview it and save changes
now your really done
hope this helps

Hey Kurt.
Since I bought this as a basket case and didn't take it apart, you probably have a picture if the driver side fresh air assembly? It shows it as a separate part in the manual and apparently I don't have one? Do you have a pic? I wonder if its dart specific. Maybe a cuda or valiant would work in its place?
Thanks

Hey Kurt.
Since I bought this as a basket case and didn't take it apart, you probably have a picture if the driver side fresh air assembly? It shows it as a separate part in the manual and apparently I don't have one? Do you have a pic? I wonder if its dart specific. Maybe a cuda or valiant would work in its place?
Thanks

63-66 a bodies all work
yup got a pic or 2 (just scavenged one up north since I needed one.)
lemme look
View attachment WP_20130626_013.jpg

View attachment WP_20130626_012.jpg

make sure you get the 2 rods that are used to hold up the fresh air box to the cowl.(the passengers side has one to make a template off of if you don't have them) there's one on ebay I think in someones online store for 40.00 (I missed the one for 24.00) but I don't think it has the rods either. (my doors on mine are broken so I'm going to cast me some plastic ones so they don't rust up on me again.) but that's after I get back from my trip up north to Michigan for the dream cruise

Driver side done, sems landau is great stuff. Bright work turned out great. Any idea on speaker placement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 205
Well, the body is coming along nicely, but is taking longer than I hoped. The guy who is helping me isn't available as often as I'd like. My goal is to het it to about 90% then let the body guy finish and get it in color. Here's a couple pics of the body. I noticed a lot of the 66 darts, and probably others show the weld line under the tail lights where the quarter welds up. I tried to clean that up a little.

Attachments

• tail light , filler.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 202
  • driver side quarter.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 212
  • body in primer.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 210
Got the dash painted and want to start mocking it up/ assembling it. So, here's my questions. Since I didn't take it apart, and I cant find an exploded view in the service manual, I'm not sure the correct fasteners to attach the instrument cluster. I did get a new interior screw kit from mister G in Texas, has everything for the bezels, etc. Any idea which fasteners/screws hold the instrument cluster? What's the best way to test all the gauges, etc. I am going to use the original harness and bypass the ammeter, but still want to make sure everything is good before I put it in the car. Is the speedo as easy as a drill???
Any help is appreciated.
Jim

Attachments

• dash 1966.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 220
Got the dash painted and want to start mocking it up/ assembling it. So, here's my questions. Since I didn't take it apart, and I cant find an exploded view in the service manual, I'm not sure the correct fasteners to attach the instrument cluster. I did get a new interior screw kit from mister G in Texas, has everything for the bezels, etc. Any idea which fasteners/screws hold the instrument cluster? What's the best way to test all the gauges, etc. I am going to use the original harness and bypass the ammeter, but still want to make sure everything is good before I put it in the car. Is the speedo as easy as a drill???
Any help is appreciated.
Jim
yup the speedo is as easy as a drill. don't rev the heck out of the drill.

you have 5 volt gauges! that little square thing on the back of the instrument cluster board is a voltage limiter. check that out first. if it's bad or just for reliability's sake got an electronic voltage limiter. there are a couple of places that sell them, they work 100% better IMO (I'm having an oldtimers CRS freeze and can't remember where to get them) but if you can dial in a wallwart to check the gauges (wall power supply adjustable to 5 volts or one that just does 5 v) then you can check each gauge out. power up each gauge and they should swing to full. (don't power them long, but just enough to make sure they will move with power.) do the bulkhead fix too!
I'm running a different fuse/power distribution panel in the engine compartment to keep the major bulkhead connections used as just a pass through. I've already got the male and female packard 56 connectors plus all 3 engine compartment plastic pieces and the bulkhead connector and dielectric grease so I can replace everyone of those connections and not have to worry about a melt down. my main power going into the dash is a 10 gauge marine connection by itself and the ammeter(bypassed) is hopefully going to be converted to a voltmeter as soon as the budget allows.

As for the screws look in you bag of screws to see if you can find some screws like this 1(upper left hand hole in speedo bezel) long and 3 short with a different type head than normal screws do. sort of like a cap button ..... yeah I know there is only 3 showing. I only have 3 from BOTH of my darts, I had a guy offer to get me some but my (now)least favorite Email program decided to trash itself (or had gotten compromised) on me and I lost his email address :banghead: I'll have to post a parts wanted again.
View attachment DSCF3806.jpg
View attachment DSCF3805.jpg

Well, the body is coming along nicely, but is taking longer than I hoped. The guy who is helping me isn't available as often as I'd like. My goal is to het it to about 90% then let the body guy finish and get it in color. Here's a couple pics of the body. I noticed a lot of the 66 darts, and probably others show the weld line under the tail lights where the quarter welds up. I tried to clean that up a little.

THE CAR looks fantastic! I wish I had anything close to what your working with. that is AWESOME!!!
you really are not going to see much in the way of a weld or line after you get the bumper on and hung correctly. the bigger the bumper the less that shows. 66's show the least of that part(65-66 the tail light bezels hide a lot of it since they are so much bigger than 63-64's) 63's the most. do you have the bumper cushion? (what the heck are they called) it's the piece that looks like a j that is rubber coated and goes in between the body and the bumper on the corners so that the bumper doesn't hit the paint and chip it when you jack up the car using a bumper jack (not that we would ever do that again after restoring ours would we:D) ahhh found a pic
View attachment !!!!!!!rear bumper bumper.jpg

Thanks Kurt. Does the instrument cluster screw in individually? Or does it sit in the recess and sandwiched between the dash and the bezel?

Thanks Kurt. Does the instrument cluster screw in individually? Or does it sit in the recess and sandwiched between the dash and the bezel?
look on the back of the bezel and you'll see some holes that line up with the metal instrument cluster. there are some small screws that hold the speedo cluster to the bezel(it's also the first one to put in) then the radio bezel. that uses the cigarette lighter to help hold it in along with some screws also.
I'll take some pic's of mine and post them on this thread on the ....hhhhmmmmmm I think I have one showing the instrument cluster. lemme go look....... yup got one
you'll have to enlarge it to see
View attachment WP_20130626_015.jpg

View attachment !!!!!!!!screw locations.jpg

but you get the drift of how it works. those cluster to bezel screws ARE REALLY SHORT! double check to see that they don't pole (edit POKE )through the bezel front.

I found four long screws, no short ones but I'll keep looking. So, the cluster screws to the bezel, then the whole assembly screws to the dash? I think I have it. BTW, I was looking for parts and wound up finding the convertible top switch trim in a bag!!! Excellent. !!!!!
Thanks again 66 dvert and everyone else for your help!!

Great work! Will turn out nice when done! Gonna go for bright red?
I think I'm going to stick with the stock color. QQ1 red poly. Picked up a sample today and took the body guy. He has an old hood so we're going to shoot it with light, gray and dark sealer to get a feel for it.

Computers are a p.i.t.a. Try again to post a few pics of the dash and chrome.

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00196.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC00197.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00198.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 181
Those gauges and speedo are going to look awesome. LOL, you're pretty creative guy. I'm trying to keep everything as close as possible to original. Plus, I don't have your skill set. I like to do what I can, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to write the checks. Hey Kurt, did you ever find the cold air box, driver side you were looking for? After I bought one online, I found the original. Go figure!!!! If you need one, I'll send it to you at nc. Thanks for all the help.
Jim

Those gauges and speedo are going to look awesome. LOL, you're pretty creative guy. I'm trying to keep everything as close as possible to original. Plus, I don't have your skill set. I like to do what I can, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to write the checks. Hey Kurt, did you ever find the cold air box, driver side you were looking for? After I bought one online, I found the original. Go figure!!!! If you need one, I'll send it to you at nc. Thanks for all the help.
Jim

well what ever you do don't quit. that car is going to look FANTASTIC! I just wish I could rechrome some of the stuff I need done on mine,BUT the wife's car is the one that's going for show( it's a V8 too!, she gets all the GOOD parts and rechromed stuff.) me ... I just make things work,not pretty but they work most of the time. I really need to slow down and get some of these projects finished so I can at least figure out what/where and when I am:D.

hmm nope never did find one, and yes still in need of one. I have a broken one that I will be tinkering with for mine ,trying to fix the broken door and cracks in it(yeah another project). but I need a good one for the wife's dart. pm me and I'll give you my address (thanks!)

-
Back