1966 Dodge Dart 904 tranny.

-

Mayflwr

Reaction score
My 904 tranny won’t go into park position. The tranny is rebuilt. It takes multiple tries moving the lever by hand to get it to engage. Then when put into gear it won’t go back into park. Does anybody have a suggestion. Thanks

Probably a linkage adjustment. Do you have cable or linkage? Disconnect linkage and confirm shift positions manually. If you can manually shift the trans investigate the linkage.

Probably a linkage adjustment. Do you have cable or linkage? Disconnect linkage and confirm shift positions manually. If you can manually shift the trans investigate the linkage.
I have a new cable. Without the cable attached lm having a problem moving the lever on the tranny by hand to engage the park position. I have also backed out the neutral safety switch to the point of the switch coming off but made no difference. Moving the shift lever back to the park position only engages one time out of twenty attempts. My next effort is to put the lever in first gear position by moving it all the way forward then attach the shifter cable. I have been connecting the cable in the park position when l got it to engage but now going to try attaching the cable in first gear. Still seeking input. Thank you for your response

I have a new cable. Without the cable attached lm having a problem moving the lever on the tranny by hand to engage the park position. I have also backed out the neutral safety switch to the point of the switch coming off but made no difference. Moving the shift lever back to the park position only engages one time out of twenty attempts. My next effort is to put the lever in first gear position by moving it all the way forward then attach the shifter cable. I have been connecting the cable in the park position when l got it to engage but now going to try attaching the cable in first gear. Still seeking input. Thank you for your response

Wait a second, 66 has linkage and no cable. Cable operated 904's were 64 and 65. I don't understand.

When l bought the car it had a Mr Gasket ratchet shifter with a cable. I installed a Hurst quarter shifter also cable driven. Without the cable attached the lever on the tranny doesn’t want to go into the park position when moved by hand. The tranny is rebuilt and not operated yet. Trying to figure out why it wont engage the park position. Thanks for the reply

When l bought the car it had a Mr Gasket ratchet shifter with a cable. I installed a Hurst quarter shifter also cable driven. Without the cable attached the lever on the tranny doesn’t want to go into the park position when moved by hand. The tranny is rebuilt and not operated yet. Trying to figure out why it wont engage the park position. Thanks for the reply
Most ratchet shifters need 2 clicks between reverse and park. At least the old B&M in my Superbee did.

Something is wrong inside. Get whomever rebuilt it to check it over. Could have the wrong rod on the vb. Kim

Something is wrong inside. Get whomever rebuilt it to check it over. Could have the wrong rod on the vb. Kim
I agree. Something not right with the rod on the valve body. I will have the builder check it out. His first input was the neutral safety switch keeping the rod from moving past it and suggested l back the switch out a ways. I did to the point of the switch coming out. It made no difference!!!

I agree. Something not right with the rod on the valve body. I will have the builder check it out. His first input was the neutral safety switch keeping the rod from moving past it and suggested l back the switch out a ways. I did to the point of the switch coming out. It made no difference!!!
Let him fix it properly!

-
Back