1966 Dodge Dart Convertible disc brake conversions

-
I bought the kit the Motor Trend article suggested, small bolt pattern. You can mount the Caliper Front leading, which is the way to go.
How-to Convert a Mopar A-Body to Front Disc Brakes

To save yourself some headache. Use the existing OEM distribution block. Plug the back line @ the block, then run a new line from the Dual Master Cylinder to the control pressure valve, then out of that to the existing rear brake line attached via a coupler. Read Brake line DONE.

Front line goes from Dual Master Cylinder into the top of the OEM distribution block, using existing lines, & Bobs your Uncle! DONE.

Have Fun!! & dont forget to buy RIGHT THREAD lug nuts!!

On the Ford Ranger and the Ford Explorer are the wheel bolt patterns going to be the same as the one I'll get off a 73 through 76 Duster or dart?

On the Ford Ranger and the Ford Explorer are the wheel bolt patterns going to be the same as the one I'll get off a 73 through 76 Duster or dart?
If they're both 4 1/2", yes, but the center hole is probably different. The wheel offset could be too.

ford explorer and ranger both use the 5x4.5" bolt pattern (same as the mopar "big" bolt pattern). so do mustangs, but unless you find one from a fox body (up to 93?), it'll be as wide or wider than the aspen/volare rear end. the center register on a ford is slightly smaller (IIRC it's 2.75", whereas the mopar is 2.82"). all that means is running a ford wheel on a mopar won't work easily if the center bore of the wheel isn't big enough to fit over the mopar hub. here is a long thread on the explorer rear axle swap. 8.8 swap

the other option is to buy bolt on wheel adapters, that are 5x4" bolt pattern to bolt to the car, but have pressed in studs at 5x4.5". they're usually about 1" thick, so you'd effectively be adding 2" to the width of your rear end, and may cause wheel/tire fitment issues unless you get higher offset rims.

So I found a a 75 Plymouth Duster with disc brakes on the front it came with the 6 cylinder and has the 9 bolts for the rear end which it means if I understand right it has 7 and 1/4 rear end is this going to be the big bolt pattern because I want to use different Wheels than I have now

Also it looks like from the pictures I've seen the calipers are on the front not the back can I swap those or is that the way they are?

So I found a a 75 Plymouth Duster with disc brakes on the front it came with the 6 cylinder and has the 9 bolts for the rear end which it means if I understand right it has 7 and 1/4 rear end is this going to be the big bolt pattern because I want to use different Wheels than I have now
Assuming it's stock, yes, BBP front and rear.

Also it looks like from the pictures I've seen the calipers are on the front not the back can I swap those or is that the way they are?
You can swap them from side to side if you want the calipers in the rear. You'll just need a different brake hose.

In your professional opinion is it better to have them in the rear or the front?
By the way thank you for all this information I would have never gotten this far in my own I'll probably give it up by now thanks a million!!

If I'm using a front sway bar, I like the calipers in the rear for better clearance. Otherwise, it makes no difference to me.

I just found a Plymouth Duster locally it's a 1971 with a V8 it does not have power brakes do you think that one's going to have discs or rotors if it has discs will it have the big bolt pattern or the small one. I hate to keep asking you guys stuff, but there's no way I could answer any other way thank you so much!

Small bolt pattern in '72 unless it's been changed. Disc brakes was an option. You'd just have to look.

if it's original, a '71 will be small bolt pattern disc or drum. '73-up disc brake cars only are 5x4.5. drum brake cars are 5x4 through the end of production in '76

The last two vehicles were gone by the time I was able to get to them. Going to Dallas to pick up Dodge Dart Swinger tomorrow. 1974 original 318 disc brakes they should have everything I need including the K member and 8.25 rear axle. You guys have taught me a lot and I really really appreciate it, it's been a lot of fun too. By the way if anything I said is inaccurate please let me know LOL.

The last two vehicles were gone by the time I was able to get to them. Going to Dallas to pick up Dodge Dart Swinger tomorrow. 1974 original 318 disc brakes they should have everything I need including the K member and 8.25 rear axle. You guys have taught me a lot and I really really appreciate it, it's been a lot of fun too. By the way if anything I said is inaccurate please let me know LOL.
318 might still be a 7.25, but it should be BBP....

-
Back