1966 dodge dart radiator question

-
In case anyone is interested. If I remember correctly I saw the listing for the Champion radiator on ebay but I called and ordered from the company. Sucks getting old and can't remember certain things.

http://championcooling.com/

65V, I thought there was a part number on the radiator but i didn't see it when I looked today. I didn't have a tape measure with me either as I have the car in storage at the moment. The front fills the whole opening in the core support. Here are some pics. Had to use my phone as the wife had our camera.

Attachments

• 0507011735c.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 0507011735b.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 0507011735a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 0507011735.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 174
That looks perfect for my application too, thanks for the pictures. Always had hood clearance probs, yet that looks perfect.

Got back to fitting the Autozone 71 (or 72?) Dart copper radiator in my 65 Dart. I also have only 2" from alum water pump to core. The radiator sticks out ~1" more toward the engine than original, due either to more rows or different brackets. ~1" hood clearance from top of cap w/ radiator sitting on the lower support.

I ordered a 17" nylon fan from Summit for $20 (ebay). Would have gone 18" but need leeway since a plastic shroud and things aren't perfectly centered like a factory design.

Many like to keep the look of the original "round-top" radiator (to ~1970?). However, they have given me problems in both my 69 Dart and 65 Newport. Both repeatedly split the upper seam. A radiator shop long ago told me that was a common problem. When I changed to a later square-top in the 69 Dart, no more failures. My Newport still has the round-top and the seam split again 2 yrs ago. Perhaps not the best choice for a daily driver.

737. Thanks for the pics those are great! looks like you have a 1 inch spacer for the fan, i will be running the same set up! but i hope i can get a shroud in there, i am running a lot of comp and iron heads.

Yeah, I am hoping to install a shroud eventually. I am running a 185 thermostat and never had a problem with overheating last summer. Just a stock 318 roller motor for now. Which brings me to a question as to how low of a thermostat temp you can run? Went with my Buddy to pick up his Ford 331 stroker motor from the engine builder the other day. He told us that a 165 thermostat was all that was needed for summer time. Had it on the dyno. 4 runs , made 426hp and 465 torque up to 7000rpm.

-
Back