1966 Dodge GT v8

-

EatDart

Reaction score
Hey y’all I noticed another member was asking about their 65 Cuda’s 278 oil capacity. Mine is a 66 Dart GT with Cuda (273). I am changing the oil and filter. 4 quarts or 5??

5 quarts. Hey did you just buy that car in your avatar off of Bring a trailer? Awesome car if so.

just noticed you just joined here, you will want some oil with some zinc in it in case you didnt know. welcome to the site lots of good info on here.

5 quarts. Hey did you just buy that car in your avatar off of Bring a trailer? Awesome car if so.

just noticed you just joined here, you will want some oil with some zinc in it in case you didnt know. welcome to the site lots of good info on here.
Thanks, yes have put in racing oil that already shows it has zinc (no synthetic). Changing the oil filter was kind of a bear. Yes, just got it delivered last week - thanks! The weird part is that when engine is warm and I go to start, it takes several times to start (battery good). Then after 3-4 tries it comes to live and I pump the gas a bit to get it to rev a bit then idles down. When I put into D, it stalls. I don’t know why. Thoughts?

That sounds like a fuel/carb problem. do you know the age of the carb, fuel, and fuel pump or how much this has been driven lately? I dont know what your skillset is but i would look at the carb, fuel pump and fuel itself as suspect. make sure you have fresh fuel, turn up the idle up and then see if the choke is operating correctly and fully open/off at engine temp would be a good start. once you know you have fresh fuel, properly working choke then move on from there. You might have to pull the carb for a good cleaning or even a rebuild or possibly replace depending on your skill set and see where that gets you. again without knowing much about the vehicle or your skill set i am just giving you starting points and the seller may enlighten you on the vehicle and its running history or lack thereof... the car is awesome itself an looks to be a true time capsule great purchase I think! good luck.

That sounds like a fuel/carb problem. do you know the age of the carb, fuel, and fuel pump or how much this has been driven lately? I dont know what your skillset is but i would look at the carb, fuel pump and fuel itself as suspect. make sure you have fresh fuel, turn up the idle up and then see if the choke is operating correctly and fully open/off at engine temp would be a good start. once you know you have fresh fuel, properly working choke then move on from there. You might have to pull the carb for a good cleaning or even a rebuild or possibly replace depending on your skill set and see where that gets you. again without knowing much about the vehicle or your skill set i am just giving you starting points and the seller may enlighten you on the vehicle and its running history or lack thereof... the car is awesome itself an looks to be a true time capsule great purchase I think! good luck.
From what i understand, it has not been driving much - about 300 miles monthly at best but was always turned on regularly except for the winter. Carb looks very new and clean when removing the air filter. I’m on my 2nd tank of premium gas. Should I use premium or 87 unleaded? Should I use seafoam?

Gotcha. I would run ethanol free if available or premium. I run seafoam in mine from time to time and that should help. I would say keep driving it and getting the good fuel through it. Go from there.

Thanks, yes have put in racing oil that already shows it has zinc (no synthetic). Changing the oil filter was kind of a bear. Yes, just got it delivered last week - thanks! The weird part is that when engine is warm and I go to start, it takes several times to start (battery good). Then after 3-4 tries it comes to live and I pump the gas a bit to get it to rev a bit then idles down. When I put into D, it stalls. I don’t know why. Thoughts?
Sounds like the choke needs adjusting.

Thanks!

-
Back