1966 Factory V8 Valiant Signet Restoration For My Other Daughter

-
Started for town to get more blasting media and gas for the welder but came upon a grass fire and the road was closed... turned around and got some ice cream at the corner shop and worked till I ran out of media....

DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg

Needed to double up for the new sandblaster but she now will run until I want out from under the helmet. The perfect cocktail is 50/50 medium coal slag and Starblast. Trunk will be the most rust free of ALL the cars! The trunk pan will be here next week and my benefactor (@cosgig) has sent the quarter panel upper from the rusted out beast who was laid to rest this weekend. She gave till the end. Notice the ONLY way to eradicate the cancerous rust is to beat it all out with the media blaster, NOT cover it up with snake oil like POR-15...

Oh and why does this SOB have 1/2" of undercoating in the wheel wells..... I am dreading that job...

DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg

Last edited:
wish you were closer;I enjoyed undercoating removal. only scarey part is the flaming goo dropping off the underbelly onto hopefully the ground and not me. now, I have a heat gun for the next time I UNDERtake the job.

wish you were closer;I enjoyed undercoating removal. only scarey part is the flaming goo dropping off the underbelly onto hopefully the ground and not me. now, I have a heat gun for the next time I UNDERtake the job.

i have done 3 with the heat gun. I would rather have it burst into flames and the undercoating fall off!

might be difficult to scrape off the concrete. mine was on asphalt, probably helped fill in some of the damaged spots from me all those years.

Try easy off oven cleaner, heard it works well. Just need to rinse with soda water to neutralize it.

Oh and why does this SOB have 1/2" of undercoating in the wheel wells..... I am dreading that job...

You might want to look into a needle scaler. It would require a healthy compressor though. I got mine from Grainger for a bit over $100 and it went through that crap like a hot knife through butter.

The wind was blowing so it was not too hot out so I attacked the Valiant... FINALLY I can see some FORWARD progress taking shape! @cosgig sent me this patch panel in "The Box" and it is almost fitted! A bit of blasting and some epoxy primer and this side is going to start coming back together!

DSC_0087.jpg
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg

Started for town to get more blasting media and gas for the welder but came upon a grass fire and the road was closed... turned around and got some ice cream at the corner shop and worked till I ran out of media....

View attachment 1715731201 View attachment 1715731202

Kinda reminds me of a lowrider with a high lockup in this picture. lol

You should have started a Youtube channel 3 cars ago, you'd have 200k subscribers easy!

Great work!

Kinda reminds me of a lowrider with a high lockup in this picture. lol

You should have started a Youtube channel 3 cars ago, you'd have 200k subscribers easy!

Great work!
:rofl:

I am boring as $hit in real life.... I doubt that!

I never really like them either but after the wife's '63 Dart if they are done up nice they are as cool as any A-Body!

I like them especially because they are LIGHT. They don't need a monster of an engine, or even a V8 to make them slap FUN. In fact, of the several I've had, Vixen with her hot slant 6 is by far the most fun. We are really enjoying it.

I like them especially because they are LIGHT. They don't need a monster of an engine, or even a V8 to make them slap FUN. In fact, of the several I've had, Vixen with her hot slant 6 is by far the most fun. We are really enjoying it.

Agree, the 225 we built for the Dart is by far my favorite to drive... it is a hoot and a half!

Two pieces makes one mostly complete quarter panel! I burned up the last tool I have of my late fathers so I had to stop for the day..... needed booze.... it got me through 3 cars though... he passed away a few months before the Coronet was ready to drive so he never got to see any of them...

DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg

3 cars scraping undercoating with a heat gun and scraper... why did I do that.... New tool.... needle scaler.... exactly 15 minutes and I have half the car done.... sigh... live and learn...

DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg

Needed to double up for the new sandblaster but she now will run until I want out from under the helmet. The perfect cocktail is 50/50 medium coal slag and Starblast. Trunk will be the most rust free of ALL the cars! The trunk pan will be here next week and my benefactor (@cosgig) has sent the quarter panel upper from the rusted out beast who was laid to rest this weekend. She gave till the end. Notice the ONLY way to eradicate the cancerous rust is to beat it all out with the media blaster, NOT cover it up with snake oil like POR-15...

View attachment 1715731617 View attachment 1715731618 View attachment 1715731619 View attachment 1715731620 View attachment 1715731621 View attachment 1715731622
I agree with that "poor"15 statement

-
Back