1966 hipo fan 4 blade or 6 blade

-
Good question. Mine had HD cooling but still had a 4 blade. Ac on my Swinger got a 6 blade although the Ac unit was Mopar but dealer installed. No clutch fan or shroud either.

This is the setup I'm going with

6 blade and a shroud and four speed only radiator

I'm doing a 1966 S build

The 1966 hipo I got came with a four blade
I've seen Hipo pics from sales brochures and stuff with pics of both four and six blades

I am also running a 7 bladed fan, factory shroud, and a clutch! I had all of the pieces on hand, I just put them together!! I recently made another identical fan for a member here, but had to mill out the center for the clutch, whereas mine was already done for that!! Of course, now I'm keeping an eye out for the 7 bladed fans either already milled or millable! If it has a center with round holes, it can be milled for the clutch, if it has slotted holes, not going to happen!!

Top pic is my fan, lower pic is the one I made for a member! Same/same!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you have the build sheet? I see several different sales codes and cooling packages.However, my Govier book does not go into detail about fan blade-count.
I have the build sheet. HD cooling (AC radiator) but 4 blade fan. I have a clutch fan to go on.

65 "S" LA build 6 blade, no shroud, no clutch no A/C, but had P/S. Now its a Meziere w/Electric puller on a Cherokee Chief 28" radiator.

I am also running a 7 bladed fan, factory shroud, and a clutch! I had all of the pieces on hand, I just put them together!! I recently made another identical fan for a member here, but had to mill out the center for the clutch, whereas mine was already done for that!! Of course, now I'm keeping an eye out for the 7 bladed fans either already milled or millable! If it has a center with round holes, it can be milled for the clutch, if it has slotted holes, not going to happen!!

So if I understand what you're saying, you take a factory 7 blade fan that has 4 mounting holes (not slotted holes) and center register, mill out the center to fit a clutch fan. Interesting! I might have to try it when I have some spare time (yea right!) as I probably have 4 or 5 7 blade fans sitting around.

Yes, that's what im saying!! I'm also saying "bring those 7 bladed fans to the Nats and I'll buy em all"!!!

Yes, that's what im saying!! I'm also saying "bring those 7 bladed fans to the Nats and I'll buy em all"!!!

OK I'll keep 1 for the wagon and 1 for the Barracuda and bring the rest!

To answer original question:
"Why some hipos have 4 blades fans and others have 6 blades?"

The '66 service manual has all of the details for each engine package. It has fan, clutch, pulley, radiator size & which has a shroud. I can't find mine right now so I can't post the chart from the SM.

image.jpg
Here's the info from '66 Plymouth service manual. Note; 273-4 bbl engines came with 4, 6 or 7 blad fans.

-
Back