1966 plymouth valiant questions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys, it looks like I have myself in a spot here.I know this is a 1 year only car. I have a '66 Valiant 200 that is in worse shape than I thought. I need to know if certain parts interchange from a 4 door to a 2 door. Will the front and rear seats from a 4 dr interchange with a 2 dr. Will front and rear glass interchange. Do they make front and rear glass rubbers. Does anybody know where to get a new floor pan for this car or will another floor pan from a earlier or later Valiant fit this car with modifications. All of this may decide whether this car can be saaved. Thanks for any info.

Floor pans from ABS
Thanks for the reply. I didnt see these. It may work. I just have to figure out if the 3 inches open will be a problem. My floor is pretty much gone. mat be able to use a brace. Do you know anything about my other questions on the seats.

Will the front and rear seats from a 4 dr interchange with a 2 dr.
I'll assume that you're asking about front bench seats. They will fit, but they are different. The 4 dr. front bench is not hinged and does not fold forward, eliminating back seat access when installed in a 2 dr.
The 4 dr. rear seat bottom is more rounded off on the front corners, and the 2 dr. seat bottom is more squared off to meet the sides. Using a rounded off four door seat in a two door will leave gaps at the front of the seat on the sides.
Will front and rear glass interchange.
ALL early A body windshields ('64-'66; 2dr/4dr/convertible/wagon and Dart/Valiant/Barracuda) interchange.
All rear glass is different, must match same to same- i.e. 4 door to 4 door, 2 door hardtop to 2 door hardtop, 2 door sedan to 2 door sedan, etc. Dart rears do not match Valiant rears.
Do they make front and rear glass rubbers.
I have not seen any new early A rear gaskets being made, other than the Barracuda. Try to save and reuse your old one if it's in decent shape, otherwise you'll have to make a new one out of bulk gasket material- save a piece of your old one to try to match the profile.

I'll assume that you're asking about front bench seats. They will fit, but they are different. The 4 dr. front bench is not hinged and does not fold forward, eliminating back seat access when installed in a 2 dr.
The 4 dr. rear seat bottom is more rounded off on the front corners, and the 2 dr. seat bottom is more squared off to meet the sides. Using a rounded off four door seat in a two door will leave gaps at the front of the seat on the sides.

ALL early A body windshields ('64-'66; 2dr/4dr/convertible/wagon and Dart/Valiant/Barracuda) interchange.
All rear glass is different, must match same to same- i.e. 4 door to 4 door, 2 door hardtop to 2 door hardtop, 2 door sedan to 2 door sedan, etc. Dart rears do not match Valiant rears.

I have not seen any new early A rear gaskets being made, other than the Barracuda. Try to save and reuse your old one if it's in decent shape, otherwise you'll have to make a new one out of bulk gasket material- save a piece of your old one to try to match the profile.
ok, that is what I needed to know so I can figure out which way I want to go. Have a 4 dr and a 2 dr car and trying to make one.thanks

In a 1966 Valiant, the back glass is the same between a 2dr sedan, 2 dr hardtop, and 4 dr sedan, but, '66 Valiant model only.....no other year and no Darts. The only one different is the wagon. The back glass gasket is unique to '66 too, in fact, vinyl top and non-vinyl top use a different one too. If both models are the same ( both vinyl top or not) the gaskets will interchange the same way as the glass. Floor pans would swap between body styles too, and are also the same from a '63-6 Valiant as a replacement panel. Dart rear floor pans are a different length. Windshield gaskets are available new.....back glass gaskets are not.

You can get the semi correct rear gasket strips from Layson’s. You have to cut and glue the corners. The lock seal is the wrong size so the original corner lock seal trim pieces won’t work.

Last edited:
64 and 65 Valiant rear glass gaskets are readily available, however, no one makes a rear window gasket for the 66. @Jim Kueneman's suggestion is all that I know of.

-
Back