1966 Valiant Power to Manual Steering Questions??

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Hey everyone, needing your expertise here.
I plan on rebuilding the front suspension in my 66 Valiant here in the next couple weeks...hopefully. I'm sure I've got an upper control arm bushing gone on my driver side and the pitman arm is really loose where the center link mounts.
My car has a power box on it now but I have a manual box off of a 64 Dart 170 that I'd like to put on while I do the rebuild.
The manual box will interchange right??
What about the pitman arm, when I order my kit will I have to tell them to send me one for the manual box?
Also, knowing that the manual box is shorter, I'm gonna have to get an adapter to reach it right or can I modify my current shaft?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Yup, the manual box is a bolt-in in place of the power box if you get the column adaptor or change out the center shaft with the correct manual one with it's coupler.

I cannot conferm this but I was told that Ma Mopar used these adapters on Dodge Vans. I have no idea what year but this was a subject at a Mopar car club get together this past weekend. Maybe someone else have heard such a thing and will chime in..
They did change the size of the shaft on the steering boxes (pitman arm side) I think 73?. So if you not sure of the year of your replacement (64 should be the same)box it's something to check out before ordering parts,,Just a thought. I did this on a 64 "B" body and bit the bullet and got the adapter. Ya I paid the $125 and shipping ''BUT'' The whole switch-a-roo took only about a hour .

I cannot conferm this but I was told that Ma Mopar used these adapters on Dodge Vans. I have no idea what year but this was a subject at a Mopar car club get together this past weekend. Maybe someone else have heard such a thing and will chime in..
They did change the size of the shaft on the steering boxes (pitman arm side) I think 73?. So if you not sure of the year of your replacement (64 should be the same)box it's something to check out before ordering parts,,Just a thought. I did this on a 64 "B" body and bit the bullet and got the adapter. Ya I paid the $125 and shipping ''BUT'' The whole switch-a-roo took only about a hour .
I've seen those factory parts too but all the ones I've seen are just an extension.... not a conversion piece. I have one right now that is a manual male to manual female piece. What everyone seems to want is a power male to manual female so they can keep their power column but install a manual box.

I just realized something and now I feel stupid..lol. I still have the column and everthing for the manual steering in the Dart!!
I should be able to just pull the shaft out and swap them right??

64 Dart into a 66 Valiant.
Yeah, just swap the center shaft with the coupler. The coupler will look a little different but it will work. Unless you disassemble the whole column and change the firewall plate, it won't swap over as an assembly.

Thanks everyone! Well, the column in the Dart is a 3speed manual on the tree.

Even though it's a "on the tree manual" the center shaft should still swap, right?

68 Rat Rod, thanks for the offer, I'll try the center shaft swap first and see how that works out...then I'll hit you up if need be.

Unfortunately, it is a /6er manual box...until I get the funds for a V8 box, this will have to do (and it's readily available). Does anyone know why the /6 box is "non-rebuildable"?? I'm surrounded by machinists at work and I'm a welder...might be able to come up with the "rebuild" solution.
Thanks again
Jeremy

Thanks everyone! Well, the column in the Dart is a 3speed manual on the tree.

Even though it's a "on the tree manual" the center shaft should still swap, right?

68 Rat Rod, thanks for the offer, I'll try the center shaft swap first and see how that works out...then I'll hit you up if need be.

Unfortunately, it is a /6er manual box...until I get the funds for a V8 box, this will have to do (and it's readily available). Does anyone know why the /6 box is "non-rebuildable"?? I'm surrounded by machinists at work and I'm a welder...might be able to come up with the "rebuild" solution.
Thanks again
Jeremy
The center shaft should work fine. The '64 box could be the bearing type but most likely the bushing version. They're rebuildable if you can get the bushings or make them. I believe the bearings and gear sets are the same but I'd look in the factory book to verify. The bearing type box is just heavier duty and functions easier under load.

I'm sure it could if you throw enough money at it! I've never tried it myself. You would have to replace the bushings with steel sleeves which are the outer race for the needle bearings. I'm not sure if they're available or not but I'm sure something could be made. I would think the steering gear builders would have a source for them.

-
Back