1966 Valiant rear quarter patch panel question

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I know Laysons makes the rear quarter panel patches for the 66 Barracuda and Valiant...how are they? I heard they needed a lot of work to fit correctly...this true? Anyone else sell or make these parts? I would like to get some for my 66, thanks

I don't know how the Laysons parts are, but there is a good chance they are reselling them from another source. Personally since they stole $80 from me, I don't buy anything from those MFers anymore.

I've been stockpiling parts for my 64 Val for when I get around to the repaint. I bought the lower patches from Classic Industries when they had a 20 or 25% off sale. They look a little on the crude side but the way I look at it is, they are a good starting point to replace my rust.
A good thing about body work is nobody can see the left and right side at the same time. And unless they are carrying a body template around, and the trim fits ok, I'm good.

I don't know how the Laysons parts are, but there is a good chance they are reselling them from another source. Personally since they stole $80 from me, I don't buy anything from those MFers anymore.

I've been stockpiling parts for my 64 Val for when I get around to the repaint. I bought the lower patches from Classic Industries when they had a 20 or 25% off sale. They look a little on the crude side but the way I look at it is, they are a good starting point to replace my rust.
A good thing about body work is nobody can see the left and right side at the same time. And unless they are carrying a body template around, and the trim fits ok, I'm good.
I'm not sure anybody makes patch panels for a 66 as they are one year only. They are flat toward the bottom,
unlike 63-65 that had the bulge to match the rear bumper. A 66 Dart patch panel might be more like the 66
Valiant/Barracuda if they are available.

I'm not sure anybody makes patch panels for a 66 as they are one year only. They are flat toward the bottom,
unlike 63-65 that had the bulge to match the rear bumper. A 66 Dart patch panel might be more like the 66
Valiant/Barracuda if they are available.
They show 66 Valiant/ Barracuda bottom half 1/4 panels.

I just recently bought the right rear 3/4 panel for my 66 Barracuda from Laysons. It looks very good to me.....the only issue is that he the trunk extension is short of reaching the bottom edge by about an inch, as I believe it is intended for 64/65. This fact was told to me when I bought it, I opt'd to weld a piece in (as suggested by the sales guy). While I haven't welded it it yet...no bad experiences here.

This work is really not for beginners. YouTube guys can give you the false confidence to take these things on, making all the right moves at the right time. Unless you're welding these things a few times a week...you might want to get someone that does and save yourself a headache.
I think Laysons is the only game in town for these. Possibly the small patch panel, 64/65 can work for you if your damage is on the bottom.

I know Laysons makes the rear quarter panel patches for the 66 Barracuda and Valiant...how are they? I heard they needed a lot of work to fit correctly...this true? Anyone else sell or make these parts? I would like to get some for my 66, thanks

Did both sides on my 66 Barracuda.
Not bad, but not easy either. I'm a trained welder with body shop skills and they still needed massaging to get right.
I bought mine from Classic industries and Rick told me he sells them to Classic along with a lot of other parts.
He told me to contact him directly thru here and let him know you need X,Y,and Z parts and he would help where he can on price.
Worst he will do is sell them at cost. I bought all parts for the rear window chrome as a kit from Rick like $300 cheaper than just the chrome individual from Classic about 2 years ago.
Not sure of what others feel- but Rick always has done right by me. Good guy to chat with at Carlisle too!
Good luck.
Joe

Autobody Specialties used to supply them but their website doesn’t list them any longer. Might be worth a call to them.

Autobody Specialties used to supply them but their website doesn’t list them any longer. Might be worth a call to them.

I live about 30minute east of them. Last time I was there they were out of stock and were not getting more in. Also those were not the same and were very flat and needed a lot of rework. They were really only the wheel well area for repairs. The Classic INdustries and Layson’s model was closer to an actual replacement lower 1/2 of a factory quarter panel. This is a passenger side Classic Industries I bought and installed last year. Needed some work but a great starting point.

D2D8C3B6-5964-43CC-A96C-FDBD6906717A.jpeg

Also a note of advice: make sure your car is fully supported and square before you cut and weld new. Mine was on the rotecesspry but I lowered it onto level jack stands to get the car even and flat before I cut and welded.
Being a unibody car the quarters hold a good portion of the weight and once cut the door openings tweek if car is not square.
Joe

I just got a set from Laysons for a 64 cuda. Nice heavy panels and seem to mock up fine.

If you buy from Layson's, go through Rick. Not saying anything bad about anyone else, but I've dealt with Rick. He went above and beyond to take care of my order.

I checked Auto Body Specialties and Sherman. Neither had them available. My 66 Dart panels came from Laysons and were heavy gauge and fit well.

I understand it's a consideration past point of reference for many but I've got to say after many years (50) from rust belt to Southwest the key consideration for your MOPAR unit body projects has got to be rust. I'm an unreasonable 66 V100 fanatic and given their rubber floor-mat over jute floor pan curse that renders beautiful appearing cars floorless, I'm no sucker for superfisciously good looking A-Bodies. The logical approach for me is seeking out and preserving unrusted survivors where they exist. In the last year I've traveled to both western Arizona and New Mexico to haul in V100 hulks. The cost of a road trip with trailer far outweighs the pain of trying to fit repro panels into rotted unit bodies.

I understand it's a consideration past point of reference for many but I've got to say after many years (50) from rust belt to Southwest the key consideration for your MOPAR unit body projects has got to be rust. I'm an unreasonable 66 V100 fanatic and given their rubber floor-mat over jute floor pan curse that renders beautiful appearing cars floorless, I'm no sucker for superfisciously good looking A-Bodies. The logical approach for me is seeking out and preserving unrusted survivors where they exist. In the last year I've traveled to both western Arizona and New Mexico to haul in V100 hulks. The cost of a road trip with trailer far outweighs the pain of trying to fit repro panels into rotted unit bodies.
For you, this makes a lot of sense. To find a solid one by waiting patiently and and time invested to pick it up and haul it is by far the better way to go.
But for me, a rusty buggy is all i have to work with.
I would have been better off saving up and buying a solid southern car, and shipping it back to canada. In the end it would be much less time,and i could be driving instead of scrounging and building.
Its hard to source decent panels that are affordable up here. Shipping is the issue. I managed, but just.

Your current location is a benefit to you. In the northeast, the picking is not so good. I've bought 4 cars from down south and really only one of these was what it was stated to be. What I'm saying is that there's no replacing going down to see what you're buying, or having a good representative that knows what you know and where to look for it. You really have to assume that less than half of the info is true, or true as you are preceiving it to be. There is a guy down you way that you probably know , Daryl F. , that boasts having all kinds of Coronet parts, that I needed for a past project ( I'll leave his name and business out). I paid "up" for perfect fenders and hood from him...what I got was bad enough that I never used them, the hood was arguably the ugliest piece of metal that I've ever seen. I wish that I could take a month and head down your way to look in old barns and fields...life or wife won't let that happen.

Please keep us in mind for treasures that are not your focus.

I purchases both sides from Laysons a few years ago for my 65 Valiant convertable. I had an old time body man install them. He was very impressed with the quality and the fit of them. There were 2 pieces for both sides.

-
Back