1966 Valiant Stereo?

-

FURY440

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of the stereo you install in your 66 Valiant or equivalent? Seems I'm having trouble finding a stereo to fit the dash. So looks like I have to fit a modern stereo into the dash. I know I can purchase a dual knob,.but even those you need to cut the dash to fit them and I don't want to spend a ton of money. What did you end up doing?

Why not send your original AM out to one of those companies that convert it to 4 speaker stereo, add aux plugs for your MP3/phone, etc. Bluetooth and fits perfectly in your dash without cutting it up. True, no CD players but you have other optiuons for music.

Any 65-up A Body knob-style radio will fit. You should be able to pick up a cheap unit from a member - try Cosgig for example.

For my Dart wagon I bought a non-functioning A Body AM/FM and had it converted. Bought another non-functioning AM/FM and will have it converted as well, but to European-spec frequencies, to go in the Barracuda, which is going to my oldest son in the Netherlands.

Oh boy . Well that didn't go as planned. This is what I have after removing the PO stereo. Now I'm going to have to fab a plate. I wish some people would just leave **** alone. What a mess!
IMG_0806.JPG

I have my trusty old SuperTuner in my 66 Cuda, fits right in with no cutting!!

I also have an extra 66 Valiant dash frame if you feel it would be easier to change the entire housing instead of fixing that buggar!!! Message if you're interested!!

IMG_3334.JPG

Sorry to hear about your radio. I repair radios and also do the conversions, which is much better and usually, in the end the amount you have to spend to fix a radio not much more money I can convert it.

Some one posted about no CD player, you can use a portable CD player through the auxiliary input.

Please PM me I have about 10 65-66 Radios..

Rick

Here is mine, an old Sherwood cassette Knobber that I cut the center bar out of an OEM bezel to fit. I have another unmolested bezel to use with the stocker if I ever get it working....The stock knobs even fit!

EDIT>>> My Iphone lost its email icon and I cant send pics but I just milled out the center of an old bezel to fit the small OD of the Sherwood cassette deck and used the stock knobs. Would look very nice if the cassette player itself was silver.....

After removing the PO stereo you saw what I had above in the picture. I completed the install of the new fabricated plate and it came out pretty nice compared to what I had before. I used screw caps as you can see in the picture, so I can remove the plate if necessary. I ran all new wires back to the 6x9's and rest of the wiring for the new head unit are all tucked in and zipped tied out of the way. Sounds great. At some point I'm going to add a small compact powered Subwoofer that will be mounted under the rear seat. It's nice to have music now!! Before, after.....
IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Last edited:
very nice

Thank you. Now I have to find out why my fuel gauge stopped working. Ever since I purchased the car it's been intermittent though. If you noticed in the picture the key is on and the fuel gauge isn't working. Testing time today.....

Thank you. Now I have to find out why my fuel gauge stopped working. Ever since I purchased the car it's been intermittent though. If you noticed in the picture the key is on and the fuel gauge isn't working. Testing time today.....

Check the ground strap at the tank, and with that stereo you can rock like the big dogs!! Looks great in there!!!

-
Back