1966gofish

-

1966gofish

fastfish 66
Reaction score
Has any one replaced their orginal light bulbs,dash, taillights,etc with leds.If so how,what bulbs, where did you get them and how much? I have a 66 Formula S and was thinking about replacing them, mostly to get less heat. Any thoughts would be welcome. tks have a mopar day

Don't waste your money on inferior lighting.

Insted clean all internal surfaces of light housing, repaint with silver/spray chrome paint if unable to clean them up. Clean lamp sockets and remake up grounding connections, and install correct bulb. These housings and refracting surfaces are designed to focus light from a single filament located at a particular position in relation to surface, and lens. One cleaned these old lights will be significantly brighter.

Retrofit LED arrays don’t correctly focus light at the necessary angles to be fully visible; a poor situation when it comes to tail & brake lights.

Hopefully Slant Six Dan will further enlighten us on led lighting devices.

You need to get a hold of slantsixdan. I replaced my dash bulbs with the 2886X bulbs that he recomended and sold to me and they are a lot brighter than the standered 194's that were in there. I could barely see the guages in my 66 barracuda and now they are nice and bright. Just take out the standard ones and put the 2886X's in. He also recomended using some honda bulbs for the tail lights and front turn signals, they are a little bit exspensive and I really did not see any difference in the brightness but I put them in anyhow so I don't melt any lenses. Do a search on dash lights or led bulbs and look for his thread.
Bob

I used LED's for my instrument cluster. Looks great and should last forever without degrading the plastic lenses. Search for the bulb#'s (owner's manual) on ebay, but check photos because some are bigger than incandescent and won't fit. I use LED's in exterior lights only where not a safety concern, like license bulb or cars with multiple bulbs for the same function (Newport). They aren't as bright, at least not the $2 I buy on ebay, but better to have some lamps working than none at all, and LED's are supposed to last almost forever. But check with SlantSixDan first to see if he will allow it.

-
Back