1967-69 Woodgrain Sportwheel Restoration/Value Q's??

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here. I am looking for some input as to the condition, restoration possibilities, and value of a couple of 67-69 Woodgrain Sport steering wheels I have. Heres the Q's...

Obviously, as you look at the pics of these 2 here, the spokes have some rust, one worse than the other. My first question is whether these can be cleaned up, sanded, gently blasted or ??? to remove the rust and make them presentable!!

Next question would be about the crack on the top of the wheel pictured...is this repairable?? Is it worth repairing??

Lastly, what is the value of these wheels?? Other than the crack shown in the pics, the grips are crack free, and the one with the rustier spokes is nearly perfect. I am looking to sell these wheels, and depending on what input I receive on restoration and value, may go back and remove the others. There are at least 3 more, all with centers and complete, and a couple others not woodgrain, but interior colors. Should I grab them too?? They are not cheap, but not overpriced either, so I don't want to go overboard and buy them if they are not needed by the general public!!

So, any wheel experts out there who can help?? Your input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all, Geof

Attachments

• 100_4251.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_4252.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_4253.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_4254.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_4255.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 179
Hey Geof, I havent had any 1st hand experience in repairing these steering wheels, but I have seen some threads on restoration. I dont believe its pricy to repair, but it could be a little labour intensive. I saw a couple at Moparfest in about the same condition as yours pictured(yours is in a bit better condition) and he wanted $150 for it, with no horn button!

i did mine by carefully removing the inner and outer rings ....then i sand blasted everything except the rings ......then i used panel bond 3M 3115 to fill in the gap on the plastic.........refinished the center hub like regular body work ....with it sand blasted clean just exopy primer everything ...you can even epoxy the plastic ........then sprayed center with argent silver and after i had the gap filled in and sanded ....i used some 3M texture spray and then the final step is the wood grain simulation and there are kits available for that at most paint jobbers.......the whole thing took me a few weeks .......very very labor intensive process ....lots of sanding .....sand blasting the plastic in the begining helped prep it and saved some sanding time. its just like doing body work.

-
Back