[WANTED] 1967-'76 dash speaker grille (requires dash murder)

-

NoCar340

The Original Partstitute
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I need the center section of a '67-up dash structure, between the defroster vents and about 1" front/rear clearance around speaker grille. I'd also take the speaker bracket and hardware (I don't need the speaker itself), but I only truly need the dash piece itself. It doesn't need to be a pretty cut as long as the panel stays straight. The year doesn't matter, though we obviously don't want to be chopping up good Rallye dash structures.

Yes, this requires cutting up the dash structure. :eek: If you've got a bent, dented, and/or rusty dash structure and don't mind cutting it, let me know.

There have been a couple of inquries into exactly what I need. The answer is professional help. Regarding the dash section I'd like to get the area inside the red line in photo, but could make do with what's inside the yellow.

100_6331.JPG

I have made definite arrangements for one, but a second is of interest. If this works out, I may do it again. Thanks to those who've responded so far!

Is it ok to ask why you want this?
Sure!

One can't get a decent forward soundstage in an A-body. I want left and right dash speakers, but hate the look of aftermarket grilles. My plan? To also murder my own Valiant dash and create Frankendash. The windshield has to come out and the dash pad needs replacing anyhow, so what the hell... I'm hoping for a factory look, just with left and right front speakers. The OE opening will be center channel w/midbass driver.

"But the glorious tunes from under the hood..." Wrong car, chum. This one's a stone-stock 170-1V, which is about as musical as farting through a kazoo.

If it works, I'll post a walk-through "build" thread. Hell, I might even make a couple more.

If not, I'll post a want ad for an uncut structure! :p

I was hoping it would be something like that. Not big into sound, but I like stock appearing stuff that works better than stock. At some point the dash is coming out of my '73 to get a Rallye dash, interested to see what you come up with so I can decide if I want to go down a similar road.

Maybe I will use my Rallye dash as a template and modify my stock dash so I don't have to cut up a real Rallye dash. But I know that path is difficult as well, guess I will cross that bridge later.

I was hoping it would be something like that. Not big into sound, but I like stock appearing stuff that works better than stock. At some point the dash is coming out of my '73 to get a Rallye dash, interested to see what you come up with so I can decide if I want to go down a similar road.

Maybe I will use my Rallye dash as a template and modify my stock dash so I don't have to cut up a real Rallye dash. But I know that path is difficult as well, guess I will cross that bridge later.
I'm keeping my expectations realistic. The stock speaker grille is not exactly the paragon of sonic invisibility one would hope. Just hoping to get some noise up front. Some of my friends still don't seem to get that idea, having come up in the "6 x 9s in the rear deck" era. One questioned why I would make such an effort:

"Ever been to a concert?"
"Yeah, lots of 'em."
"Did you face the back wall during the show?"
Silence.

I did do a center speaker in the other Valiant. Left and right channels w/mids & tweeters, but with all of them being crammed in the center, there's obviously no separation. The tweeters are notched for, not underneath, the mids. The crossovers are above the glove box.

100_3484.JPG

-
Back