1967 A body Idler arm issue

-

wlecat

Reaction score
Sorry but what exactly is the key issue as to why the 1968 idler arm will not work on a 1967 K member. I've heard something about a taper? Any ideas other than replacing the K member or doing some ridiculous welding? This must've been the same engineer who thought the left hand threads were a great idea. Any diagrams or detailed pictures would be appreciated because I'd really like to understand why this stupid Idler arm needs to be 4X the price of a 68 version; it's got me very PO'd... Just one more thing to keep my fish off the road. Final thought: I was wondering if maybe a bushing could be pressed in to adapt it to a 68 version.

I just replaced mine I dont have your answers but I do agree it 4 times the money.

The 67 has a mount that's similar to the center line end---a stud

All other years 68 / later have a through bolt, so the bracket goes over the top and under the bottom of the arm, much better design. You COULD weld a bracket onto the 67 K frame and adapt it to use a 68/ later idler.

The 67 idler arm has the same ball stud attach method on both ends. Only a small tang with a hole was required on the K. 68 and later have a bushing and through bolt at the K end so 2 tangs are required for that through bolt.
If you'll buy the 68 idler arm from a local part store and hold it under there where it goes you can see what change is needed. You can take the 68 arm back for refund if you don't use it. Hope this helps

My mechanic brother-in-law (not a MOPAR guy), was helping me when he told me I needed a new idler arm. Being the car was a 67, I figured it would have a 67 k member. Wrong! After some research and personal inspection, it became apparent that the owners before me swapped out the 69 K member with the 340. I can now get the reasonably priced arm :) YAY

Have you looked for a small flat washer welded to the front of that K ? It might be the correct K that belongs with a 340. Idler arm should have metal thrust washers captured in the clip with it. I mentioned this only because of another members thread about missing washer(s). Happy moparing

-
Back