1967 Barracuda column collar question

-

cpaull

Reaction score
There are 2 bolts that go in these holes. What do they connect to, and how to I get them back in once they are out.
The steering column is still in the car, and I was trying to replace the turn signal switch. I took one out by accident, and there doesn't seem to be anything to catch the threads behind it.

1720312578989.png

If those are the ones I am thinking of they are a square head bolt.
The side of the head hooks a pocket on the side of the column and the nut goes where you have circled.

Alan

Thanks, but do I have to remove the whole column to get them back in?
BTW: Nice car!!!

I had to do this once on a 69 Polara, I had the column out of the car and I still felt like it was a three hand job. Part of the problem I had was it was a column shift car and the shift lever kept moving the collar out of alignment. I think that if you put pressure laterally you might be able to get them to hook as you try to tighten them.

Here you can see the rectangular holes at the end of the column housing.
2015-09-19_008.jpg

Here is the top collar and bolts, as you can see once you put the shift collar on you cannot see the pockets.
2015-09-19_012.jpg

Alan

Thankyou @Cuda Al and @Murray the pics and the advice are very helpful.
In my car the bolt is a phillips head, and I believe there is a square nut that is supposed to be behind it.
So it seems like I do have to at least take the top collar off to get to the area in question.
Can I do that by removing the C-Clip or do I have to take entire column out of the car to get those collars off?

Here are some better pictures showing the situation in my car:

column_bolt.png

column_bolt2.png

That screw doesn't look stock. You don't need to pull the whole column to install the proper fasteners (like what Cuda Al shows in his photo). You do need to remove your turn signal switch (yours is toast anyway), the 3 screw retainer plate, and the upper circlip for the bearing. Lube it up good with some penetrating oil and pull that housing up and off the column tube. Install the proper fasteners and leave them loose until you get the housing back on the column tube and the square heads back into their respective slots. When you tighten the nuts, the square heads on the studs will slide into place and hold that housing tight. They're kind of a wedge fit.

-
Back