1967 Barracuda fastback for sale - or is it?

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
Saw this fairly nice looking 67 Barracuda fastback for sale on the Redding CA CL. Here is the ad and a pic: http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/4240784479.html

00606_3CQe2MfMr7V_600x450.jpg

There is no number in the ad so I send him an email thru CL. Here is what I wrote: "Hi. Just came across your ad for your 67 Barracuda yesterday. If you still have it let me know as I am looking for a 67-69 Barracuda fastback and yours looks pretty nice. Thanks. Tom"

A couple of days go by and nothing. Thinking that it might have got lost in cyberspace I resend him the exact same message. Later that day I get a response from him thru CL and here is what he says: "yes" That's it, nothing else. WTF?

I think maybe he's driving and sent that out as a quick reply or something so I send him another email and this is what I say: "That has to be the briefest reply ever. lol. You must be responding from your smart-phone or something. Your ad doesn't have a phone number, but maybe we should talk instead of typing emails? How about a number so I can call you. BTW, what's your name?" That was three days ago and haven't heard anything else from him.

Kind of weird, so I start thinking that maybe it's not legit, you know, a phishing scam or something. CL ads without a phone number always make me kind of suspicious. So I do a Google reverse image search to see if the pics for the car pop up anywhere else other than on the Redding CL. They do. There is an ad for the car with the same pics listed on a "2040cars.com" website here: http://www.2040cars.com/Plymouth/Barracuda/1967-barracuda-295724/ Never heard of that website and some of the ads look really old. The interesting thing is that on the 2040cars.com website the car is listed as being in Escondido in southern CA. Hmmmm?

The whole thing is starting to smell a little fishy. Anyone know of this 2040cars.com website, this particular Barracuda (should be kind of unique being that it is Vitamin C orange) and more importantly the current owner?? Thanks!

Some people are just poor communicators electronically. Also, he may not have daily time/access to a computer. I've been on the other side as a seller. Lost count of how many times I've replied to an email that asked if what I was selling was still for sale. I would reply Yes, and offer to answer any questions they have. I would also forward my phone number, if it wasn't included in the ad. 9 times out of 10, I would never get a response. Weird.

Nobody knows of this car or the owner?

I would of thought that a bright orange fastback would have been kind of conspicuous being that Vitamin C is an unusual color for a Gen II Barracuda.

Nobody has seen it around at a car show or anywhere? Hmmm?

How about that 2040cars.com website? Anyone have any experience with it? Hmmm?

Nobody knows of this car or the owner?

I would of thought that a bright orange fastback would have been kind of conspicuous being that Vitamin C is an unusual color for a Gen II Barracuda.

Nobody has seen it around at a car show or anywhere? Hmmm?

How about that 2040cars.com website? Anyone have any experience with it? Hmmm?

Yes

Bugs the hell out of me when items are listed for sale and the seller has no idea how to communicate, or doesn't seem interested in communicating.

I think 2040 cars grabs listings from other sources, like eb and cl...

I like the wheels on that car. What are they. they work on it.

I try to craft inquiry emails so that there's pretty much no question that I am a human, and know about the car in the ad.

It astounds me that some folks could think I am a scam or automated....

I like the wheels on that car. What are they. they work on it.

Those are steel wheels with the factory hub caps that have the silver blacked out.

I have 3 of them off my sisters 67 and I started to black them out back in the 70's

THE BEST LOOKING FACTORY HUB CAP Plymouth ever made.

Well, no wonder they work on it!

I saw that car listed on the southern California craigslist a year or two ago. It's always priced a little below what you would think. Not sure if it's a scam or not.

I saw that car listed on the southern California craigslist a year or two ago. It's always priced a little below what you would think. Not sure if it's a scam or not.

Hmmm? Makes you wonder doesn't it? It's currently listed on the Redding CL but the 2040cars.com ad puts it in Escondido - the opposite end of the state. But who knows how old that 2040cars.com ad is as there is no time/date stamp that I can see. All I was able to get out of the seller was one word ... "yes". That's it. Hmmm? Makes you wonder ...

I hear ya. If you even have the slightest doubt, I've learned the best thing to do is just stay away. The only time you ever get burned is when you start second guessing things that look fishy before hand.

-
Back