1967 Barracuda Formula S 383

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
you wouldn't know where i could find the honeycomb for the headlight bezels for a 1969 barracuda? Help if you can THANKS, Ray

I`ve never seen anything but turquoise for the engine color of A-body 383`s. I believe most all 383`s in that era were turquoise except for police cars and and some HP versions. 383`s did pick up a few hp with the change of the heads from 67-68 and a slightly taller piston but I don`t think it was as much as 45 hp, probably closer to 10-15. The 270 hp figure is probably from the 2 barrel version of the 383. It is true that Chrysler did some odd things during production so nothing is surprising.
This is frustrating. Some websites such as MyMopar.com and Allpar.com list the 67 H code as an HP engine with 325 hp, and to make it more confusing even MyMopar.com lists the color of the 62-69 383 as turquoise, and the 69-71 383 HP/Police as H-Orange, (calling it a High Performance variation). So if it is a 67 HP engine why do they leave it out of the color chart?
Not that these websites are gospel, but they are a good representation of the information I was able to locate.
At this point, its either original to the car as a 383 HP orange engine, or someone found a 67 HP engine that was made a week before the car and painted it turquoise.
And then there’s the ‘I am an imbecile and have no idea what I am talking about theory,’ which lately I am leaning towards.
I ordered the build record from Chrysler so hopefully that will give some additional information.

In 69 the "HP" motors were orange unless it was in a car with A/C. Then it was still turquoise. Before that I think the only big blocks that were orange were hemis

In 69 the "HP" motors were orange unless it was in a car with A/C. Then it was still turquoise. Before that I think the only big blocks that were orange were hemis
Do you know where/what numbers on the block would tell me exactly what the engine is?
I know it is a 383 and the build date based on the numbers on the front, but with no vin are there other numbers somewhere else?
I imagine I should probably check the head numbers.
My apologies for asking questions in this thread, but I needed to run with it.

LETS NOT FORGET THERE IS A SWEET 67 BARRACUDA FOR SALE.
That color is killer, nice car.

Dang you Guys don't cut Anyone any slack do you.Looks like a 20K car to me BB A's are not cheap.I think he should get atleast 18K out of it.
Jim
you know really? ha you can go out and get a nice honda civic base model or a chevy hhr for 20 grand..or damn a 67 383 barracuda, ill take the cuda with no complaints thank you.

Do you know where/what numbers on the block would tell me exactly what the engine is?
I know it is a 383 and the build date based on the numbers on the front, but with no vin are there other numbers somewhere else?

Unfortunately matthon those numbers started in `68. If you have a 67 block in your car that was cast just prior to the build date of the car ,there`s a good chance it`s correct for the car. After 40 years there`s no telling what happened to these cars but an engine repaint is not out of the question.

Questions are a good thing. Anybody that gets irritated by them needs to take a "Mother's Little Helper" and plop on the couch for a while. What exactly is stamped on the pad on the front of the block? That should tell you if it's an HP, what year car it was used in, the assembly date of the motor, and (possibly) other things like undersized crank, lifter bores, etc. Also, what is the casting date on the side of the block?

Correct blocks, brings up a question, since I have owned this I found out some info, like the blocks cast for 67 cudas were for them only, these were not available with power steering because the motor mount on the driver side is actually cast at the very front of the engine where your power steering pump would be. Also when my motor mount went bad, I was told no body made them because of that fact, I check with year one, laysons , mancini, paddock, and the people that make all the big block conversioion mounts. So I had them rebuilt. Most 383 have the mounts on both siders near the center

Correct blocks, brings up a question, since I have owned this I found out some info, like the blocks cast for 67 cudas were for them only, these were not available with power steering because the motor mount on the driver side is actually cast at the very front of the engine where your power steering pump would be. Also when my motor mount went bad, I was told no body made them because of that fact, I check with year one, laysons , mancini, paddock, and the people that make all the big block conversioion mounts. So I had them rebuilt. Most 383 have the mounts on both siders near the center

There are blocks out there (I believe for C-bodies) that have the bosses drilled for the unique left mount. If you can`t find one drilled though you can always drill them yourself if you need an engine block. It`s been a while but I have found a guy selling NOS mounts (left) for the big block A-body cars and they were near $125.00.

The secret is out. There's a bunch of blocks out there that have the bosses drilled and tapped for the P/S mount.

If read correctly, we were talking about the left motor mount

You`re welcome. There is another alternative, if you want to keep the look of your unique big block left motor mount, Schumacher (sp.?) makes a bracket that appears original but accepts a regular sandwich type mount. The price is reasonable. DART340 , where did you have your mounts rebuilt?

Questions are a good thing. Anybody that gets irritated by them needs to take a "Mother's Little Helper" and plop on the couch for a while. What exactly is stamped on the pad on the front of the block? That should tell you if it's an HP, what year car it was used in, the assembly date of the motor, and (possibly) other things like undersized crank, lifter bores, etc. Also, what is the casting date on the side of the block?
I will have to check to be 100% sure, the car is in my brother's barn.
I remember the "383" and a 3 digit date on the front, and I had heard the motor mount and p/s deal before.
I will DEFINITELY follow up, I feel the need to know more.

I received my build record from Chrysler today, and the H is listed as:
H = 383-4 HP 8-Cylinder
Is this definitive proof that it was built with an HP motor, 325 horse?

I received my build record from Chrysler today, and the H is listed as:
H = 383-4 HP 8-Cylinder
Is this definitive proof that it was built with an HP motor, 325 horse?

If the letter H appears as the 5th digit in your VIN number then the car is an original 383 car. There`s also a pad on the engine block by the distributor that will have a letter to designate the year. H on the block pad would date the engine as 1972. Where are you getting the "H" from?

Look at the front of the motor...the "flat" below the distributor and in front of the passenger's side head. It should say something like

C 383 HP
2 29

or something like that.

The alpha character in front of the "383" will designate the year car the motor was used in. The "383" is obviously the cubic inch. HP will mean it's a 335 horse motor, and the last 3 digits will be the BUILD DATE of the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back