1967 Barracuda Hood to Cowl Seal RePro Installation help!

-

MICHAEL J KLOCK

Reaction score
Need some help. I just purchased a repro hood to cowl seal for my 67 Barracuda. I currently don't have a seal on my car. My question is how to install the clips that came with the seal. There is no vendor guidance.
I know the pointed side goes into the seal, but it seems like it will pull out over time. Should I use 3M adhesive between the seal and hood too? Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks! Mike

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

PITA it is!!!!

I popped the clips in then pressed the seal against to locate them on the seal. Removed the clips then installed them in the seal. They are to be crimped over to lock but they just wanted to break the tabs. Very frustrating! The tabs are hardened to much, I ended up getting more clips and using some Gorrila glue for extra holding power. Once installed you can not notice. Who made the seal you purchased?

Carefully bend tabs over once they are pushed thru. Did this when installing on one of my cars and none of the tabs broke.

Carefully bend tabs over once they are pushed thru. Did this when installing on one of my cars and none of the tabs broke.

You were fortunate.

I was as careful as I could be but at least 4 tabs broke. Not sure which kit I got without going through the receipts but they were more like spring steel and just wanted to snap.

Thanks guys! I wasnt sure of the clip location but I found a good picture on the internet. Yes , the clips don't seem very flexable! I purchased this from Classic Industries for $12.00. But I found another company who sells the same thing with stainless steel clips already installed for $30. Worst case I'll buy the $30 piece. Thanks for all your help and the link!
Cheers!
Mike K

$_57.JPG

You were fortunate.

I was as careful as I could be but at least 4 tabs broke. Not sure which kit I got without going through the receipts but they were more like spring steel and just wanted to snap.
I don't know whether the limbs of OEM clips were folded inward or outward. I imagine either direction works ( like staples ). Evidently the foreigner who is producing these reproductions doesn't know the limbs are to be bent ( typical of aftermarket parts ). So we need to use a torch to anneal this portion of their clips so they're workable like OEM. Are we having fun yet?

I don't know whether the limbs of OEM clips were folded inward or outward. I imagine either direction works ( like staples ). Evidently the foreigner who is producing these reproductions doesn't know the limbs are to be bent ( typical of aftermarket parts ). So we need to use a torch to anneal this portion of their clips so they're workable like OEM. Are we having fun yet?
I was just thinking that!!! Preheat to take any hardness out of the clips!

I think they are bent out, but don't remember for sure. I have the benefit of my original car when I am unsure. I will check tomorrow and post what I find.

So I managed to find a really nice repro with stainless clips already attached. Popped right in place and looks awesome. Ebay!

-
Back