1967 Barracuda Seatbelt Mystery

-

DallasMan2000

Reaction score
My wife bought me new seatbelts for my birthday (yes!) as replacements for our 1967 Barracuda fastback and got them from a company called Seatbelt Solutions. Sitting them side by side they look totally different - see picture below. The one on bottom is the old one. The clasp is different and the retraction mechanism is totally enclosed. Anyone know which type is correct and where we can get a new set like the one on bottom if we decided to get another set?

IMG_7034.jpeg

Well the new one is obviously cosmetically wrong. Retractor is encased in the oem.
Try Van's Auto , Dantes Parts,

I didn’t see where Vans or Dante’s carried them. Poking around the web a bit more it looks like maybe ours came out of a 68 or a 69. The picture below shows belts from a site labeled as 68-69 that look very similar to our old ones. Maybe the clasp design was updated for safety reasons? Anyone have a set of original 67 front seatbelts?

The doors in our 67 Barracuda came from a 69, so I am wondering if they swapped out the seatbelts also.

IMG_0335.png

Looks like the ones my wife bought are correct for a 1967. Maybe I should just put them in and move on. The fully enclosed are nice but not worth trying to send these back for something that was meant for a 68-69 anyway.

Seatbelts are on and look great. Huge issue with the back seat belt installation was that my exhaust hangers mounted to the back of my seatbelt bolts. When the seatbelt bolts were removed, the exhaust brackets came loose and were just hanging under the car. After installing the seat belts and starting the car, there was some severe rattling going on. It took a a while but we figured out what happened. Our best clue was the two nuts and washers found when we moved the car.

Raised the car up and got it all back together. Back to cruising!

-
Back