1967 Barracuda Steering Column Upper and Lower Bearing Replacement

-

MICHAEL J KLOCK

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a "knock" in my upper steering column when I turn the wheel to the left. It only knocks when turned left, not right. It certainly feels like the upper bearing has a bad spot on it. So to change the upper bearing, does the entire column have to come out? And if it does I would imagine it would be better to change all the bearing, the shoes, seals ( on the coupling) etc. Has any one done this repair? If so how bad of a job is it?
Thanks in Advance!
Mike Klock

Doing mine now. It really hasn't been bad so far at all. I have it torn down and cleaning it up and painting before installing upper bearing, turn signal switch, and lower shaft seal. Mine is an early a body manual car

Doing mine now. It really hasn't been bad so far at all. I have it torn down and cleaning it up and painting before installing upper bearing, turn signal switch, and lower shaft seal. Mine is an early a body manual car
Is the bearing noise common? I've never owned a car that had a steering column bearing go before...

I was going from auto to manual so as long as I had manual column out I am replacing every wear part I can. My auto made no noise.

Is the bearing noise common? I've never owned a car that had a steering column bearing go before...
I have 2 examples... Both 2nd gen' B'cudas. several years ago, I found a upper bearing rusted away so bad that most of the lil balls had fell out. More recently, while working on a automatic shifter column... I hadn't noticed a problem with the upper bearing while driving the car but spin the wheel on the workbench and that bearing roared. It was quite crusty also. Danged if I know why. One was in a convertible which could explain it but other was a notchback. Rain blowing in open window?
I'll never understand how some have their issues while others have different issues. Sort of like who gets cancer and who gets a heart attack?
The column does not have to come completely apart or out of the car to replace that upper bearing. If the lower bearing is also bad or if the box coupling shows wear/lost motion, may as well pull the column and do it all.
As for column rebuild... shifter columns are more complicated. Just like anything else, pay attention to how it comes apart. Recognize and highlight the factory markings or make your own markings so it goes back together the same way it came apart. Otherwise the steering wheel could land 180 degrees off ( upside down ).

-
Back