1967 Barracudas

-

Ghostrider 67

Reaction score
Hello all, I stopped by from FBBO to ask a question or two.

I don't see a lot of '67 Notchbacks on here...why?

Is it worthwhile to restore one?:coffee2:

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 332
The Hardest parts to find for these cars are the Steel Fenders, Front Grilles but I love the way they look if you can get it real Cheap why Not make a nice little Street machine But this one looks picked pretty clean.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 307
All the BC notchbacks are very cool cars. I bought mine because when I saw it I had never seen on before and didnt know what it was. The seller was the original owner and after a 6 month negotiation I got the car bought for his money. Fast forward 10 years and I am still working on the car and hemmoraging money like I have a cut artery but I know it will be worth it. You will hardly EVER see another one at any given car show, even Mopar specific ones. Good luck with your car!
DR:coffee2:

the car in the first post is a 68 .....there is a huge difference in value and the demand for 67 as compared to 68.

68 tends to be a more sought after year.

the car in the first post is a 68 .....there is a huge difference in value and the demand for 67 as compared to 68.

Not sure I agree but I like the 68's. 67 = forged crank & solid lifters. 68 = cast crank & hydraulics?????? Although I have to admit, I am changing my glass trimmers & gaskets to 68 so I can get the SS trimmers!:)

Watchoo talkinbout Willis?

'67 notchbacks are awesome.

(some advice regarding the '68 in the pics...remove the chrome around the windshield and back window and try to get the glass - carefully. Putting '68-'69 glass and trim in a '67 is a wise move. Also get the trunk trim to sell, worth alot if it's restorable)

Works for me, I prefer '67 of all the 2nd gen cars.

Love notchbacks, I consider them the sexiest, Mopar muscle car era body style.. Have owned Road Runners,Darts ,currently a Scamp. Not much return money wise,on one. In my opinion, you do it because of the passion you feel about it.

I would guess that one is just a parts car. With the leaves and dirt up against the body and sitting on the ground it probably has way too much rust unless you are skilled body man and love replacing metal

Of the 3 body styles for the 67-69 the 1967 notchback is my favorite, but could have something to do with my 1st was a 67 notchback

Drove my sisters fastback, had a convertible, but the notchback has the best lines IN MY OPINION

also the 67 has the best looking grill and tail panel, also IN MY OPINION

that being a 68 it has a unique lower dash pad, the best thing about the 68 over a 67 is the available 340 Formula S

Don't know the break down of Fastbacks, Notchback and Convertibles. I do know the convertibles were the least produced. But back in the day there were probably more notch on the road, but that is just me thinking about what I remember.

They were drivers and got used, abused and discarded. Today they are all rare to see.

I know where a 1967 notchback that is beautiful and probably less than 40,000 miles, yes that is right, Dave has owned it for at least the last 35 years and it was an old ladies car with few miles on it when he got it. It never was a daily driver for him. It now has a 340. He told me several years ago he would sell it for $20,000. It isn't a 20K car, but I would love to have it

My 1st was a 273-2 bar, auto on column. In 1-1/2 years I put a 273 hipo, 8 3/4 then traded it for a 69 Roadrunner.

Bought a 67 formula S 273 -4 speed car, put a 340 in it and the interior out of a 72 duster

My only fastback was a 68 I bought for parts and sold before getting the seats which was the only thing I really wanted from it.

But at one time both my sisters had 67 barracudas, one notch one fastback formula S and I had my 67 notch, all parked in mom & dads driveway

View attachment image.jpg

Love notch back Barracudas

Plenty of fastbacks here but I am yet to see another notchback, people ask what kind of mustang is that, i'm pretty quick to educate them.

Attachments

• IMG_8577.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 265
Notchback is the lightest and stiffest configuration of all 3. With the right suspension setup under one they can handle really well.

Shipping weight on a V8 coupe is 2800 lbs
Curb weight with all fluids full in a V8 coupe is 3100 lbs

I have been putting mine on an aluminum diet to get some of the weight off the front end.

Great cars, undervalued if you ask me. Will never be confused with a camaro or mustang. Most undercarriage structural sheetmetal that you would replace due to rust is the same as a duster. Same wheelbase 108". The Inner and outer rear wheelhouse is the same as a duster as well. Trunk extensions are barracuda specific though.

Matt

Yet to see a 67 notchback on the road by me.
Have seen a few 68-69 fastbacks however.

If they made more of them,most of them are gone.

The notch back is bad ***. If I ever sell my 66, I'll be looking to find a notch back 67. They make awesome looking muscle cars.

Some eye candy from the archives

Coupe at :32
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejowRRBfok"]1967 Plymouth Barracuda Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

faaec10.jpg

4c1bd3c.jpg

I was always a Fast Back guy for years, didn't seem to care that much about the Notch.
My older Cousin was a Notch guy from early on.
He always had them.

A few years ago. I bought a Notch Race Car.
Mainly because the price was right.
It has grown on me & the more I study the lines, the more I like it.

Attachments

• 11140348_10205199360049207_2687116677103680913_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 230
Thanks everyone for the great input! I did not know that was a 68. There is also a 67/68 fastback and a 67/68 convertible in there as well. I am going back up there soon and I may buy all three to have parts. I need to look closer at them. My wife wants a 65 mustang but I think I can talk her around to the barracuda. My 67 Coronet "Express" is coming along and really like the way that cuda looks.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 209
You'll be disappointed by how many parts and pieces will not interchange.
Reproduction parts catered to 57 Belair, then early Camaro and early Mustang long before these fishes. That simply means that majority of those examples have all been restored atleast once. I do see a 65, 66, 67, 68 beater grade Mustang in the street once in a while but.. I can tell they were once parts donors that have been pieced together / resurrected.
Now that a heap of fish parts are reproduced, many vintage drag raced cars are being reverted back to street rides. Even that is more practical than donor resurrection.
The good news... It's not too late to buy a decent fish and restore it. Get what parts you can from one of those part yard donors. The route you are thinking is still about 10 years from the only route. As a follow up question... Did you see a Belair, Camaro, or Mustang, in that yard ?

The '67 Notch has been my favorite car on the planet since I was 5 yrs old and my neighbor bought this one new... Now it's mine.

[ame]http://youtu.be/qzK8Ku4LpfM[/ame]

The green fastback looks like a 69

Easiest way to tell year

67 no side light, 68 round side light, 69 beak nose and rectangle reflectors on side

Unless it is like one here in souther indiana, has one 67 fender, one 68 fender, 69 rear 1/4, 68 grill, 67 tail panel, 67 front seats. I was looking at it trying to figure out what year it was. Figured 69 since both rear 1/4s had th reflectors

Owner had several barracudas and used the best parts he had.

Good luck getting them out of there.

Hope someone gets something out of them before they are too far gone for any usefullness

So the question is.....
If they made more notch backs, why are there less on the road?????

Less desirable?

Not !

-
Back