1967 Dart 270

-

desmo900

Reaction score
As I near the end of this almost 7 year venture I have decide to create my build thread. I have had so many stops and starts and ups and downs I did not want to online reminder of my failings...

My first car at 16 was a 1967 Dart with a slant 6. I had big plans to put a 440 in it but life got in the way and my brother sold (it was rotting in our backyard) it while I was away at college. Back in 2011 a buddy of mine bought an Impala to restore and I got the bug.

I bought this sight unseen from a guy in Redding, CA via pictures in February of 2012.
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0675_1.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

There are many talented mechanics on this forum who have built amazing vehicles, I am not one of them. I farmed out most of the work. I pulled the car out of 2 shops after being taken for a ride. Had stuff stolen. I flew from Seattle to Connecticut to take a guy to court over a damaged Alterktion I bought off of him on ebay. For now I would like to focus on the positives...it's almost done. I am grateful for the endless amount of information I gleaned from this website and I have been inspired by the workmanship of everyone here. Although I did not do much of the wrenching myself, every detail was planned by me with the valuable information from these forums.

Patch panels were used in the floor boards. There was some metal work in the trunk as well. The hood and decklid were junk but the rest of the body was rust-free and fairly straight. The left quarter had a bit of mud in it.

Dart Restoration 0233.JPG

Dart Restoration 0234.JPG

Dart Restoration 0279.JPG

Dart Restoration 0285.JPG

Dart Restoration 0330.JPG

Dart Restoration 0362.JPG

Dart Restoration 0367.JPG

Last edited:
I bought an 8 3/4 with a suretrac out of a 1967 Barracuda from a guy outside of Portland who had original hemi cars in shipping containers all over his property. I had Randy's Differential rebuild the the third member and we put An RMS 4 link in it.

Dart Restoration 0296.JPG

Dart Restoration 0297.JPG

Dart Restoration 0298.JPG

Dart Restoration 0299.JPG

Dart Restoration 0300.JPG

Dart Restoration 0301.JPG

Dart Restoration 0324.JPG

Dart Restoration 0325.JPG

If I may ask, did the RMS kit have instructions with measurements included ? Look like a cool set up.

I bought an 8 3/4 with a suretrac out of a 1967 Barracuda from a guy outside of Portland who had original hemi cars in shipping containers all over his property. I
Huh?

This guys spot was sureal. He had about 20 60’s mopars outside. Really nice builders. After gaining his trust he showed us some of the stuff in the containers.

nice. coming up on 7 years of build, these pics must just be the tease :)

A&M Deluxe Customs in Cornelius, Oregon installed the mini-tubs and the Alterktion. They do amazing work. They re-leaded the roof seams and straightened the rear end as well.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

MRL Performance built me a stroked 383 (460ish). Solid roller, ported Edelbrock heads, FAST 2.0 etc. dyno'ed at just under 600hp with peak torque just over 590 ft/lbs. More importantly it has 500+ ft/lbs from 3000 to 6000 rpm and a reasonable idle. These are not the valve covers I ended up going with. I want a factory engine compartment so I went with reproductions of the chrome covers that came on the 1967 GTS and painted the engine (including the heads and intake) the factory color. the 2nd picture shows the true engine color. The flash in the first pic makes it look blue but it is more of a turquoise. I went with the TTI 2-1/8" SR Step Headers. They are supposed to fit my set-up but we had to ding them a couple places and true the flanges. A lot of work for an $800 set of headers. Thankfully my mechanic insisted we get them in bare steel and have them ceramic coated after we test fit them. I went with the road race oil pan and I am also running an oil accumulator.

460 Stroker 7.JPG

460 Stroker 8.JPG

Last edited:
I had originally opted for Dr Diff rear disc brakes and 12.25" Wilwood's up front but I ended up replacing them with 12" rear and 14" front Wilwoods. Ron Sutton from Ron Sutton Race Technology helped spec the kit based on the weight of the car, tire size, brake pedal leverage, master cylinder bore size and intended use. I ended up running 295/35-20's in the back and 275/35-18's in the front.

IMG_9362.JPG

IMG_9363.JPG

IMG_9365.JPG

-
Back