-
Status
Not open for further replies.

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Not mine, posted on the Orange County craigslist. No asking price, but may be work a phone call. Sounds promising, but work internet blocked photos from Photobucket, so I am flying blind on this one.

From the ad:

"1967 Plymouth Barracuda fastback formula s 383 4 speed all matching number car very rare very solid runs and drives excellent!! RUST FREE!!!!!! all glass is in tact no cracks ... Original Radio... body's very straight ..paint is very nice.. engine and tranny very strong ... rides smooth no rattles .. console is missing.. but the brackets are still there... interior and headliner is in very good shape"

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3097488557.html

Looks nice, but it appears to have had fenderwell headers at some point in its life. No price.

IMG_0707.jpg

Actually, I bought this car on eBay about a week ago. Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on this car.

Actually, I bought this car on eBay about a week ago. Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on this car.
Wow if it was the orange one on ebay and is real big block S you got a great deal on a sweet ride. By the way I hate you! Just kiding. :burnout:

This wasn't the orange cuda.....red on black...missing center console

my first car was a '67 383...I have been looking but wasn't sure what this one was worth

Gonna need a center console...any suggestions where to look

This wasn't the orange cuda.....red on black...missing center console

my first car was a '67 383...I have been looking but wasn't sure what this one was worth

Gonna need a center console...any suggestions where to look
I may be a little color blind looks orange in the pic above it looks good what ever color it is. More pics please.

It did look more orange on ebay...having trouble with that photobucket thing...will try to post more pics

need some advice...the car that I "bought" on eBay had some title issues so I decided to have the car thoroughly inspected before I sent any money. Below is the report with a link to pictures. I was the winning bid on eBay at $14,600 but it is obvious it is not worth that much. What shoudl I pay? Any advice is welcome and appreciated....

Photo link is here watch them as a slide show and you can flick through them quickly there are 500 pics
http://photobucket.com/67plymcuda

Paint is not original color, used to be metallic blue
Red paint I poor, driver condition, several areas are cracking
Rear right quarter panel is wavy inside, full of bondo on the out side, also lower quarter behind wheel arch is sectioned and new metal has been welded in
Rocker panel at half way where quarter panel meets door, 3" x 2" rust hole
Inner fenders both have odd 2" circular patch panels welded in,
Left quarter panel lower part sectioned and new metal welded in some bondo
Panel fit Is generally ok, but front door gap a bit wider at the front / fender area on both sides
Trunk lid rusty
Radio antenna is loose and cracked paint
Floor pans are solid, but bad welding job at the front left chassis, near the steering box

Chrome is discolored and looks original, on bumpers, door handles, taillight housings, hood moldings
Stainless trim around windows , dented, scratched from buffing machine
Grille ok shape, indicator lenses crazed, tailights cracked and crazed

Brake on left rear leaking badly fluid all over suspension
Non original carburetor
Trans is out of a 1970 car
Engine late 1966 casting date, maybe correct, but fender tag is missing so no build date available
Shifter not bolted in
Gauges not working, fuel, temp, oil pressure
Rev counter works
Rear brakes lock up under heavy braking
Drivers window moves but a bit stiff

Interior
Seats the foam has given up and sets are uncomfortable
Carpet faded purple due to sun
Dash rubber cap is cracked and been recovered
Dash trim is very poor, repainted and various cracked incorrect screws
Headliner is just ok, some rear trim pieces missing
Interior door armrest is broken
Interior chrome is discolored and pitted as with window frames
Tear in drivers seat side trim
Rear of seat covers are ok

I rode passenger with the guy, car is fast, suspension is rough on rough surfaces, brakes lock up at rear on heavy braking, no signs of smoke, shifts gears well.

Overall a rough car, it needs everything, its missing the all important fender tag, and these cars a pretty rare think they only made about 1036 estimated 383 v8 formulae s 4 speed cars, but you are not matching numbers, and bad previous repairs, DON’T BUY IT !! Let me know if you have any questions

CODE BREAKDOWN
Vin # BH29H72 308756
Decodes as a barracuda high price 2dr hard top with 383 v8 4bbl
Built in 1967 at st loius michigan plant

Body code on top of radiator support
7240502191 this should match with the fender tag but its missing

Engine code
Cast date 12 / 15 / 66
2468130 decode as a 383 V8 B type from 1959-71

Carb # 8867 casting
9755S 1404 aftermarket Carter carb 750 cfm for GM big block

Intake Date code 7-14
Casting # 2806301 correct for 1968-69 383 v8

Trans #
C95664 Z
C 99129 H
Date cast J 08?
Stamp pad
0B296949 last 8 digits of vin of the car it came from
PP833 3141 0181
833 4 speed built 4 mar 1970

It's tough to say. It's definitely not worth much more than $10k. I'd say $10k at most but thats just a guess.

Here's the thing, I daily drive a 71 Duster that looks pretty cherry. I could post a few pictures and make you guys think it's a show car. If you got an inspector out there to check it out, he'd have a laundry list of notations just like the ones above. A true 383 4 speed forumula S in very nice condition would go for a lot more than what you bid so it's not like you are crazy out of the ball park or anything. The good is he has a bazillion pictures posted of every angle possible. The bad is he fails to mention things like the sheet metal work and non numbers matching drivetrain. Plus the fact that the fender tag is missing really hurts the price because you now just have a nice car instead of a possible true rare vehicle.

It just depends on what you're looking for. If you want a car thats almost completely finished with little to no work left, then you can't be looking at 383 4 speed fastback Barracuda's if you only have $15k to spend. You can get a Duster or Demon thats basically finished for that much, but a Formula S is still going to need work at that price unless you just get really lucky.

It's tough to say. It's definitely not worth much more than $10k. I'd say $10k at most but thats just a guess.

Here's the thing, I daily drive a 71 Duster that looks pretty cherry. I could post a few pictures and make you guys think it's a show car. If you got an inspector out there to check it out, he'd have a laundry list of notations just like the ones above. A true 383 4 speed forumula S in very nice condition would go for a lot more than what you bid so it's not like you are crazy out of the ball park or anything. The good is he has a bazillion pictures posted of every angle possible. The bad is he fails to mention things like the sheet metal work and non numbers matching drivetrain. Plus the fact that the fender tag is missing really hurts the price because you now just have a nice car instead of a possible true rare vehicle.

It just depends on what you're looking for. If you want a car thats almost completely finished with little to no work left, then you can't be looking at 383 4 speed fastback Barracuda's if you only have $15k to spend. You can get a Duster or Demon thats basically finished for that much, but a Formula S is still going to need work at that price unless you just get really lucky.

That is some good information right there. Nice that you had it inspected, looked like the guy did a pretty good report for you. There is a lot of 40+ year old cars out there that look pretty nice. When you really start to get in to them most are far from perfect even a lot of the nice ones. I didn't see pictures so I have no ideal on value.

Going by the inspection first let me say the fender tag is very important
It's very easy to change vin tags on these cars. before I even thought about
Buying it I would have to see the numbers stamped on the trunk lip
And radiator support to confirm they match the vin. Also check to see
If it has factory torque boxes. There's really no such thing as matching numbers
On 67' since mopar didn't start stamping vin numbers on engines and tranny's
Until 68'. I would not buy it until the vin numbers were confirmed and then
Would not go more than around 8000.00, if you don't mind us asking
What were the issues with the title

The radiator and trunk number have the shipping order number.
It has the year, 67, the plant, Hamtramck, MI, the scheduled month and day, April 5th, and the sequence number.
The scheduled month and day, and the sequence number would be on the fender tag.

The last 6 digits of the VIN are a sequence number as well, but not related to the SO sequence number.

What's the assembly date stamped into the engine block below the distributor?

Where can you find a 1967 plymouth barracuda formula s fastback 383, 4 Speed for $15k. Maby with out engine and tranny then yeah 15k is a about right.
did you guys forget this car is 45 years old its a rare all american history survivor
this car is worth from 30k to 40k restored easy... You got to understand its not a 2012 model car that just came of the Assembly line its gonna have some wear in tear obviously... seems like the way you described the car as a monster and all 500 pics was not as bad as you made it out to be really guys where can you buy 383 4 speed formula S!!!!!!!!!15k in that condition clones go for 15k to 20k If you sell the car please let me have a chance at it... or if u still havent bought it yet... let me know i am a very interested buyer. mike

Where can you find a 1967 plymouth barracuda formula s fastback 383, 4 Speed for $15k. Maby with out engine and tranny then yeah 15k is a about right.
did you guys forget this car is 45 years old its a rare all american history survivor
this car is worth from 30k to 40k restored easy... You got to understand its not a 2012 model car that just came of the Assembly line its gonna have some wear in tear obviously... seems like the way you described the car as a monster and all 500 pics was not as bad as you made it out to be really guys where can you buy 383 4 speed formula S!!!!!!!!!15k in that condition clones go for 15k to 20k If you sell the car please let me have a chance at it... or if u still havent bought it yet... let me know i am a very interested buyer. mike

I would like to comment, but the mod's wouldn't like what I have to say to this post! :toothy8: They don't seem to like the reality of my comments when I post to this type comment quoted above.

It's only worth 30-40k restored with the correct documentation.

Based on the pictures above only looks like a nice driver and may be worth 14K if it is.

But without the fender tag, broadcast/build, sheet or some other factory documentation there is no way to tie the vin# to the so#. So as a result there is no way to 100% tell if this car is in fact a true original factory 383 4 speed car. The body is not stamped with the vin# it's stamped with a sales order number. Yes it may have a correct vin# but you can not prove it belongs on this body without supporting documentation as noted above. So at this point is the car authentic or a re bodied slant 6 car with a 383 vin? It's impossible to know for sure after 45 years with incomplete documentation.

Welcome to the site, nice first post. :wack:

There was a 67 formula S on ebay a week or 2 ago that already had all the paint done that was $10K - just needed putting together. IMO $15K is a little high in this market for the car as described.

What are the title issues?

After reading the inspection...i wouldn't buy this one unless i saw it in person.

It might end up needing new quarters and other such sheet metal to bring it up to a standard that makes you happy, and looks decent.

Also no fender tag...

Scary title issue...

I would say it's worth half what you bid...$7,300...to me, if i was doing the deal...it's definitely rougher than it appears in pictures.

Paul

First off, I wouldn't buy ANY car with title issues. You could end up with a 15k parts car. Second,after reading all that's wrong with it, it sounds like what was done, was done badly and the rest wasn't done at all. To make it nice you would really have to redo everything at some point. That's what's wrong with alot of sellers. They want top dollar for a car that needs everything. Keep looking.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back